cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow dolly brakes

skipngail
Explorer
Explorer
im going to buy a tow dolly what kind of brakes are the best mechanical or electrical ( big difference in price)
6 REPLIES 6

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I had electric brakes on our Tow dolly because I also tow an enclosed car trailer and had a brake controller for it. One advantage of an electric brake is you can stop any swaying if it were to occur or possibly on slippery conditions, without using the MH brakes. I have had that problem with with TT or Car Trailers under different conditions.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a dolly with surge brakes from SoCal to Yellowstone via the Great Basin. No smoking at bottom of grades or any other problems. Used exhaust brake extensively and went down in the same gear as I went up. Just check the master cylinder on the tongue once in awhile and away you go. Liked the idea of other vehicles being able to use the dolly without having a brake controller installed.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
jules6 wrote:
I currently have a tow dolly with surge brakes and I have towed a pop-up camper with surge brakes and there was never a problem with going down hills with surge brakes. Surge brakes work very well and they do not require you to purchase a brake controller and can be towed with any vehicle that has a hitch installed. I would go with surge brakes every time.

On steep mountain grades the surge hitch pushes against the towed vehicle and over brakes. I've seen them smoking at the bottom. Towing 4 down if I see my toad over braking on a steep grade I turn down the amount of braking with my remote device. JMHO

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
jules6 wrote:
I currently have a tow dolly with surge brakes and I have towed a pop-up camper with surge brakes and there was never a problem with going down hills with surge brakes. Surge brakes work very well and they do not require you to purchase a brake controller and can be towed with any vehicle that has a hitch installed. I would go with surge brakes every time.

Me, too.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jules6
Explorer
Explorer

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
skipngail wrote:
im going to buy a tow dolly what kind of brakes are the best mechanical or electrical ( big difference in price)

I like electrical brakes on trailers, especially in the mountains. I've owned several trailers, never a tow dolly, My present tandem axle dump trailer has electrical brakes. Going down a mountain grade with a heavy trailer with surge mechanical brakes can be a problem.