cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow plate/tow bar interchangeable between manufacturers?

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for used tow bar and base plate for a Vitara. I may end up having to buy the base plate new. How interchangeable are the tow bars and base plates between manufacturers?
Thanks
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd
6 REPLIES 6

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I worked in Woodland, WA for a couple years for GTE.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Roadmaster are very easy to install on a Vitara. A little more work on the Grand Vitara depending on year.
Go to Roadmasterinc.com and download instructions for your year and model.

Thanks Bud, and thank you for your service!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Roadmaster are very easy to install on a Vitara. A little more work on the Grand Vitara depending on year.
Go to Roadmasterinc.com and download instructions for your year and model.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the auto being installed on.Go on the base plate mfg and download the instructions.I like blue ox they look cleaner when not towing.The big difference, blue ox and demco have the cross bar behind the grill road master has crossbar in front of car.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutch. Does anyone have an opinion (lol) on any particular brand of base plate that is easier to install, or are they all about the same in terms of the knuckle scraping index?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There are usually adapters available if the base plate and tow bar don't match up. One exception is NSA's ReadyBrute tow bars, where the arm ends can be changed to ones that mate with a given brand/model of base plate.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate