cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towed van front wheels not turning

Uncle_Grumpy
Explorer
Explorer
Big class c pulled in next door. She is pulling a full size van. I notice that the front wheels of the van are not following the tow rig. They are skidding on turns. After two conversations she admits something may be wrong. This women is towing for the first time as she is recent widow. On her way from tx to WS. Any one have insight to what may resolve this?
10 REPLIES 10

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
She needs to keep the Steering wheel is in the unlocked position.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would then also ask her if she disengaged the driveshaft?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the above IF the van doesn't steer to follow the RV. If the steering is locked, that's what will happen.

Although we're 99% sure that's what "skidding" means, it is also possible for a towed vehicle to follow the RV Into a turn then not steer back Out of it. In that case the wheels would be full Left or full Right with the RV pulling it forward. This happens because the RV turning Left swings its rear to the Right. Towed steers Right. Sometimes when RV straightens out, Towed doesn't and wheels turned full Right get dragged Straight but Sideways. This is more likely to happen on unpaved areas, but I've had it happen on paved roads.

EDIT: I started out replying in RV.net but the posting timed out. Same thing happened yesterday. I copied my text and went to Woodalls then pasted it there. That worked. So if you can't reply, try another flavor of the same forum(s). They're all Marcus... Same logons work.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Ascertain if her husband had any mods done to the van for towing. Ask if husband pulled any fuses for towing. Advise about unlocking steering wheel. Go online, find owner's manual and download sheet giving towing instructions to share with her.
Currently Between RVs

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
If this is the rig she traveled in with her late husband, the van is rigged to tow already. No need to complicate things. Maybe just have her show you the procedure she follows.

She just forgot to put the ignition switch in the unlocked position.

This is the answer that I think hits the nail on the head. If she is towing 4 down, her husband probably had it rigged for 4 down. She probably didn't unlock the steering and/or has brakes on.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If this is the rig she traveled in with her late husband, the van is rigged to tow already. No need to complicate things. Maybe just have her show you the procedure she follows.

She just forgot to put the ignition switch in the unlocked position.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
She needs to fix that problem or just rent a tow dolly or she's going to need a new transmission, not to mention tires.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Steering wheel is in the locked position.
make and model of van?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think any fullsize van can be towed unless the driveshaft is disconnected. And the key needs to be in the unlocked position to allow the wheels to turn.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!