Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Coleman Popup with 2013 Grand Caravan

jpjordan357
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afternoon,
I'm posting this question because I'm having trouble sorting out a decision to buy. In my area, someone is selling a gorgeous 2000 Coleman Fairview with just about every option for a very good price. The spec sheet they showed my lists the GVWR of the unit to be 3250Lb. NADA lists the 'Weight' of the trailer at 2172Lb. So my questions are as follows.
1) If I understand the ratings, the NADA listed weight is just the camer, and the GVWR of 3250 is the maximum the trailer can safely weigh including itself (2172LB) and any cargo. Is this correct?
2) Our Tow Vehicle is a 2013 Grand Caravan (Max Tow Capacity is 3600LB). With this trailer, would I need stabilizer bars or sway bars, or would a static hitch suffice?

Thank you all for educating me on this, i've only ever towed small cargo trailers up until now, and I'm excited to get into pulling this to campgrounds around the state!
20 REPLIES 20

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jpjordan357 wrote:
Thank you for answering my question. Would you have a recommendation as to which WD hitch to pick? I have no idea where to even start.

since folks here seem to worship an equalizer but when I got mine the dealer usually used a reese so I just went with one of them.
bumpy

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make small single bar WD hitches for lightweight trailers such as PuP's.

The Caravan will do fine with that PuP.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
There are many different brands of quality hitches available to you. My advice for you would be to go to the etrailer.com and start researching there. They will even help you to answer all your questions. Also they're pricing is very reasonable.
If you have to ask why I drive a Diesel, then you will never understand.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
Cummins(370/800) 68RE Auto 3.73 Rear
2018 Momentum 376TH

jpjordan357
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for answering my question. Would you have a recommendation as to which WD hitch to pick? I have no idea where to even start.

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
Also of note. Years back I rented a pop-up and I was totally surprised how big that thing looked in the rearview mirrors. Big difference between pulling it down the road and looking at it in a campground.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
2018 Momentum 376TH

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you are correct on both questions. I would definitely go with the weight distribution hitch. When I had a pull behind trailer years past, the weight distribution hitch makes a big difference in the way the vehicle handles and operates.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
2018 Momentum 376TH