cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing MKX/Edge

fr8rplt
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2013 MKX and will be useing it for toad purposes. It has the keyless entry/button/remote start option. When following the instructions in the OM several instrument panel(either side of the speedo) lights stay on after the shift lever is in neutral and the engine shut down. Specifically the the gear indicator lights and the warning light "shift to park". My question is will these lights run down the bat while towing, is there a fuse to pull, or do I need a trickle charger? The OM does not address any of these issues and thought maybe one of you towing a MKX or Edge might have the answer.
Thanks Tom
Tom & Bonnie
2010 Allegro Bus, Maroon Coral,PG Chassis
13 Lincoln MKX
Sir Finnegan (Golden Retreiver)
Mookie Blue (Toy Aussie Shepard)
Tinkerbell (Teapot Aussie Shepard)
Harleigh-The cat

In America anyone can be president and that is the chance you take!
7 REPLIES 7

trtog7
Explorer
Explorer
We are just starting to tow a 2013 Edge With car in neutral and ignition in accessory as per instruction car will not lock Am i missing something?

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing we have forgotten a time or two is to turn off the headlights. If it gets dark with it in the auto position on they come and will drain the battery.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 10 Edge tows fine and the battery doesn't run down with the charge wire and Roadmaster tow bar except when wife leaves the switcch in the accessory notch and not all the way back. With the ignition in the accesory spot, notch or whatever you have electricity routed from the car's battery to the accessories and lights and the wire from coach out of the circuit.
We talked with someone in Savannah with an 11 Edge with the push button start and they encountered the same problem. They followed the then current manual, which seems to have left out something and the battery was dead after towing.
This subject has been encountered before here but I can't recollect a solution.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 07 MKX ... original owners. I installed a hot line from the coach thru the Umbilical cord to the battery so that it would charge while driving the coach. Also within the hot line under the hood installed an inline diode so as to NOT have back feed to the coach. Without it (before I installed it) when turning the coach ignition off ... the engine keep running. My MKX battery (before the hot line) would get weak on long runs because the GPS would continue running along with whatever is hooked up when the ignition is in aux position.

jrlibbie09
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like in motorhome towing guide, it does not state to pull fuse. Both car instructions are the same." Run engine at beginning of day for 5 minutes (shift into drive,then reverse, and neutral) and every 6 hours thereafter.
Coachmen Encounter 37FW 2012
Ford Edge 2010, towed with
ReadyBrute Elite w ReadyBrake

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a MKX Lincoln or is this a Edge. It should state in the owners manual. If a Lincoln Fords web page states it is not towable 4 down. Maybe someone will join in .

On page 228 and 229 of the third printing ,if a Lincoln, It says that you can flat tow behind a Rv. It gives the instruction on setting up, which I am sure you have read. Have not found anything on the lights.