cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing or packing a Smart Car on the back of a Class A

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I bought a Smart Car. Love it actually. Hella a gocart that haul ass.

Three ideas being floated on how to pack this baby. Either, build a rack for the back of my Class A--glorified handicapped scooter type carrier that connects to the hitch, etc.

The Smart weights about 1800.

A trailer. I looked at Lowes. Since the Smart weights about 1800, and is about 5x8ish, a 6x9 or so flatbed type would work. Maybe.

Or tow bar. Roadmaster builds for about $400 a setup that mounts to the subframe of the front of the Smart. I'd then have to buy the tow bar setup, but that is extra.

My inclination is to build a rack. Such as in this picture that is attached.

https://imgur.com/f9b08Wb
29 REPLIES 29

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, if you still have the Bounder in your signature... NO WAY can you put 1800 lbs on a rack on the back. Like Mike said above thatโ€™s going to put 3000+ lbs on your rear axle. Get a trailer or a dolly.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess I am the only responder that actually has a Smart. Get a dolly and get going.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Of note is the trailers sold at Lowes and Home Depot have a MAX SPEED of 45mph on the tires, so buyer beware....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveler wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
A dolly or swivel wheel trailer would likely make more sense and be a heck of a lot cheaper.
I was wondering about the swivel wheel cost comparison considering it was a DIY project.

I didn't see where it was a DIY project but on looking at it, there is the suggestion to just use the receiver hitch...assuming we take that literally, I hope someone steps in before he hits the freeway with it.

Of course, assuming he is building a legitimate rack on the back welded solidly to the frame (and a frame capable of handling the load), knocking up a home built swivel wheel trailer likely would still be cheaper...probably less complicated to.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
This is the Kendon you are talking about allthough we bought this 10 years ago from the Kendon factory and I think they have changed a bit since then. We towed an electric smart for 5 years like this and a diesel smart before then. Great little car. Had a lot of fun and put on a lot of miles. And the convertible makes it even more fun.

Still our favourite mode of towing as you can back up and literally parallel park. About half the trailer fit under the rear of the motorhome so it wasn't an issue on sites. Ours was not the type that stood on its tail...or at least I never tried it.

We have changed up how we travel for the next four or five years so we just sold the smart car and trailer. Really going to miss that little thing. Like you say, it went like a bat out of hell. (the electric, not the diesel). We replaced it with a Tesla model 3...but we won't be towing that one. ๐Ÿ™‚

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
4300 bucks???

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I considered it at one point. Kendon makes a trailer specifically for the Smart car that can be stood on end to take up less space when not being used.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
The 106" length to the Smart Car loaded like the picture would be over width. Standard is 102".

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
A dolly or swivel wheel trailer would likely make more sense and be a heck of a lot cheaper.
I was wondering about the swivel wheel cost comparison considering it was a DIY project.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to test 2000 pounds on the very rear of your MH? Otherwise a smart car is an interesting idea.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What's the Class A and how much excess payload do you have? CoG for 1800lb 15ft behind the rear axle might add 3000lb to the rear axle(s). Plus a lift for something that big is going to be at least a few hundred pounds more.

If you have a big bus based diesel pusher with 2 rear axles, that might be viable. If you have a lower end gas MH with a single rear axle, that gets iffy.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you consider a swivel wheel dolly which would place most of the weight on the dolly wheels?

Just curious but nice job!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dolly is a lot simpler than a trailer and since smart is so light you don't need brakes on the dolly

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at ToyHaulers (or am looking at ToyHaulers) since I upgraded my Suburban to an Excursion V-10, but the motorhome, I think its best to buy a Lowes trailer...some of the other stuff I saw online is pushing 5-8grand for a platform.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had a Smart since 2014 and have towed it all over the country on a dolly. This works for me as I can also tow our Honda CRV or DWs Camry if I choose. Last year I bought a Featherlite trailer so I can now take our Mercedes or F-150. You will never know the Smart is there unless you look. I originally bought the Smart to take with me to the Drag Races because it fits in the same space in my 32ft enclosed trailer as a golf cart and unlike the golf cart has a/c and tags so I can drive it to town if I wish.