cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing TT using a 2019 Santa Fe

mikeg112
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings RV'ers, name is Michael, and making my 1st post on this forum. I've spent the past few days scouring this site's search feature, and was hoping to get some general guidance on an upcoming trailer purchase.

My TV is a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0t AWD, with a towing capacity of 3501 pounds, and hitch weight of 351. We just got a Curt C13195 hitch, and the matching TEKONSHA 4-way pole adapter for the factory wiring harness, model #118784. I'll be looking for the dealer to install the hitch, along with a matching brake controller and 4-7 pole converter (may be incorporated in the brake controller).

The TT I'm looking at is the Apex Nano 185BH, dry weight of 2850 and hitch weight of 350. After doing TONS of research this is the lightest weight BH that will allow mom and dad a dedicated queen bed, dining table for four, and separate bunks for the two teenagers in the family. I'd love to get the 193BH, but that will put me at 3495 dry weight and 360 on the hitch weight.

What I'd like to ask the rv.net community is what you would think of getting the 185BH on our Santa Fe. We are also considering trading in the Santa Fe for the new Palisade when it comes out later this year to get us up to 5,000 towing capacity. I figured I can get the hitch and brake controller installed on the Santa Fe now to enjoy the summer, and have 1-2 years to upgrade to the Palisade for the increased towing capacity.

This forum is great, and I greatly appreciate any and all feedback you can provide! Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikeg112 wrote:
Snip... Safety is my first priority so I'll wait it out until I can get a rig that will be better suited for what we are looking to do.

Thank you all for your help.

Good decision! ๐Ÿ™‚
I think that now you have made a decision, and many have put in their 2 cents, this is a good time to close this thread. Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mikeg112
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your help and feedback, I do admit some of the comments are a bit harsh, but overall seems like the consensus is to wait it out for the Palisade or look at getting a bigger truck (my work commute car is a Sonata so I might just trade that in for a truck). I was just hoping some who had a similar mid-size SUV setup would chime in on their experiences. Safety is my first priority so I'll wait it out until I can get a rig that will be better suited for what we are looking to do.

Thank you all for your help.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small PuP at best! No TT for the Santa Fe!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Conspiracy theorists and weight cops aside, the bottom line is still pretty correct. Your Santafe is not really well suited for towing. Will it work? For a while? Maybe longer?
Maybe.
But not a tow rig. Coming from someone who summarily ignores mfg ratings......

Now for the theory. If you have to ask the question, then you lack the knowledge and experience to run outside of the rated capacities. Thatโ€™s my theory. The ratings are like the โ€œdo not use hair dryer in the bath tubโ€ ratings. Theyโ€™re there to make the Darwin awards less competitive!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Sea Six wrote:
Don't do it.

If you ever did get into an accident with that rig, the lawyers would have a field day with you and your insurance company.
Completely bogus scare tactic, has no basis in fact.

You're dead wrong. If you have an accident loading a vehicle beyond its design parameters, you're going to face a serious uphill battle.

OP, this is suicide. If you wanted an SUV, you should have bought one. A front wheel drive car with higher suspension is not a tow vehicle.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Your Santa Fe is a people mover that is capable of pulling a popup.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sea Six wrote:
Don't do it.

If you ever did get into an accident with that rig, the lawyers would have a field day with you and your insurance company.
Completely bogus scare tactic, has no basis in fact.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
To get better informed about what all the ratings and numbers mean try this site Read Me!

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Six wrote:
Don't do it.

This is not the reason to not tow with your current SUV. Last I checked, if you are at fault, your insurance company pays. If you are partly at fault, they pay some amount.

If you have enough assets to make some personal injury attorney tingle with excitement at the thought of going after you because your rig, which is slightly over spec, was involved in an accident, you have enough assets to go buy a different truck.

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, from reading the comments on this subject----and owning a Hyundai Santa Fe---I wouldn't tow a trailer with a Hyundai. Period!
There just isn't enough tow vehicle there. Add the fact of load and passengers to the matter and you again don't have enough oomph in the Hyundai. Our Hyundai is probably the best vehicle we've owned, so I'm not bashing the brand. Sorry.....

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was sitting here wondering what all the fuss was about. Last I looked the Santa Fe had a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs with available hitches rated for 750 lbs of tongue weight.

But, looks like they dropped the rating to 3,500 lbs with the lower HP 2.0 this year.

Looks like the Sante Fe that is more capable is called the Sante Fe XL now. Yโ€™all about confusing!... I had to edit this post just because of that confusion. Whew.

OP... you need a bit more truck. A Midsize Ranger, Colorado, Frontier, or Taco would be a good match. An Explorer or a Pathfinder SUV would probably do the job too.

Or, buy a small POP UP camper like a Quicksilver. That would be a good match as well.

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikeg112 wrote:
Forgot to mention the cargo capacity and scenario, we would be taking two cars, most of the cargo and passengers would be in separate car, TV would be for driver + one passenger. But I do realize now that the hitch weight would be heavier with propane and battery. Is this something I can have the dealer weigh for me before purchase to see the weight Iโ€™m looking at?

Actually there should be a "Yellow sticker" on the trailer. It will tell you exactly what the TT weighs sitting on the lot infront of you. Normally it includes battery, and empty propane tanks.

Now having said that. IF you load noting into the TT. you might be OK. Other than that. You gonna need more truck
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to try a tt, maybe this Jayco is worth considering. Lighter than what you have been looking at, 7' width will be less wind load as well.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-jay-flight-slx-7-west/174bh/

You will still be pushing the limits of the Hyundai, but will be closer.