cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS system that will read existing auto sensors. ?

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dream, but are there any TPMS that will read signals from existing sensors in my 2015 GMC Terrrain or any other sensors?
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain
9 REPLIES 9

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
So there is no way to get a TPMS readout in my LTV Unity motorhome from the factory TPMS on my Hyundai Accent toad?

Well, you could use a spectrum analyzer to find out what frequency signal that your factory TPMS sensors are sending to the car's computer. You could then build a receiver to receive that frequency. Next you'll need to figure out how the data is modulated onto the carrier so you can properly demodulate it. Then you'll need to be able to decipher that data to find out how to read it - probably a piece of cake for the NSA and certainly possible for a serious hobbyist...

For $100 I purchased a kit off Amazon that includes sensors which screw onto the valve stems and a small button size receiver that plugs into the 12v outlet. When I tow my Wrangler I replace the valve caps with the sensors and put the receiver in the RV. Works like a champ and I get both pressure and temp, something the OEM system on the Wrangler doesn't provide. Much simpler than dealing with reverse engineering things on the Wrangler.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that the sensors in our Prius and Mini Cooper as well as the ones we had on our Tracker, and Nissan Versa do not even transmit specific temperatures. I suspect they just transmit when the low limit is reached.

Ed Headington

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
So there is no way to get a TPMS readout in my LTV Unity motorhome from the factory TPMS on my Hyundai Accent toad?

Well, you could use a spectrum analyzer to find out what frequency signal that your factory TPMS sensors are sending to the car's computer. You could then build a receiver to receive that frequency. Next you'll need to figure out how the data is modulated onto the carrier so you can properly demodulate it. Then you'll need to be able to decipher that data to find out how to read it - probably a piece of cake for the NSA and certainly possible for a serious hobbyist...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
No... Each manufacturer uses its own proprietary coding system for their onboard TPMS, and not all models even use radio signals. At this point, a universal TPMS monitor just isn't going to happen anytime soon. You can use an add-on TPMS system on your toad though, to monitor the toad tires in your coach. And yes, it would be nice to not have to buy the additional sensors.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Wake up... you were having a dream. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gee Ma do I have to wake up.........:Z
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Wake up... you were having a dream. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're not the first to think of this...it's been asked here several times in the past with the same answer.. No.

Our Terrain has the factory TPMS and it would be great if my Pressure Pro TPMS installed on our mh would pick up the signals from the Terrain, but alas...not a chance. I had to upgrade ($$) my monitor to handle the 8 tires on the mh and the five on the Terrain.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have thought of that as well. Thought maybe something that plugs into the OBD port or even just an optical transistor that you mount over their light but that would mean leaving the ignition on.

Seems like a shame that there is a TPMS sitting there not being used.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
No... Each manufacturer uses its own proprietary coding system for their onboard TPMS, and not all models even use radio signals. At this point, a universal TPMS monitor just isn't going to happen anytime soon. You can use an add-on TPMS system on your toad though, to monitor the toad tires in your coach. And yes, it would be nice to not have to buy the additional sensors.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate