Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailer - When is it too long ??

MartyW
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum but I've been towing campers and other trailers for many years, first a pop-up, then 26' class c MH, and now a 20' hybrid. In all the years, about 25' is the longest trailer I've needed to pull.

We're considering a bigger TT for some longer vacations and I'd like to get a reality check by hearing from some folks who have experience pulling longer TT's. And I'd like to hear even if they may have felt their new TT was a bit too long for comfortable towing, even when within weight limits.

We'll be towing with an older, but solid and strong, 1997 Suburban 3/4 ton, 8600 GVWR, 7.4L with 3.73's. Its 4wd rated to tow as is with 3.73's, 8k lbs. The same chassis/engine combo is rated to tow 10k lbs with 4.10 gears.

The newer TT's we've been viewing on the internet seem to go up to 32'-34' and still be within our 8k lbs, as many of them will be in the 6000-6600 lb range dry. It will be just the wife and me and our dog, with only a few hundred lbs of extras. All in all considered, we would be well within the 8k towing max with some of these 32'-34' TTs. The sales folks just look at max limit and say fine, good to go, etc...

But, having seen these longer TT's on the road or in a campground, I've wondered to myself "is that any fun to pull down the road or over a tight bridge, etc"?

Any experienced TT haulers, past/present, I'd be interested in your thoughts as to how long a TT you think you'd be comfortable pulling down the road with our 3/4 ton Suburban.

Thanks in advance,
Marty
18 REPLIES 18

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We went from 26' to about 33' and it didn't make much difference. It's still the same width. Our excursion is good for 10,000 but with an 8,??? Lb trailer the tongue weight is over 1,000 so that's enough for my X.
The length is nothing just watch out for the tongue weight.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is 34' including the spare and I haven't had any issues. It's our first trailer and I hadn't towed anything since a hay wagon 30 years ago. Length has been a non-issue. In fact, I can't imagine being happy with a smaller one at this point. I'd go to 36' without hesitation.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
All in all length doesn't matter all that much. In many ways it can pull better (longer hitch to axle length) but they can be blown around more in heavy crosswinds, simply due to more sail area. If all your other constraints are in check (including tongue weight) I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get used to parking the beast pretty quick.

PS - My Weekend Warrior was 41'. It towed great.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 35 TT 7800# loaded with my 3/4 ton gas 6.0 truck ( a little over 19'). I went from 26' to 35', it took a few trips to get it all figured out after that it was just as easy as the 26' trailer. we never had any problems getting sites or driving through towns.
I will let someone else answer about the weight and your suburban but as far as length I was very comfortable with towing it. JMHO