cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with Left blinker light on travel trailer.

joshenj
Explorer
Explorer
So when I hook my truck up to my travel trailer I can't get the left blinker to work on it. We took my buddy's truck who knew he was wired good and the blinker worked. So bulb is good and wiring on trailer seems like it should be good. Tested my truck side 7 pin connector with ohm meter and left blinker was registering and blinker on my truck works fine. Replaced entire 7 pin connector on my truck as well with no success. Still registering power to the connector but as soon as I hook it up to the trailer doesn't work on the trailer. Back my buddy's truck up again. Works just fine. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

joshenj
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, thanks for all the help. I had just gotten this truck and didn't even realize it had so many fuses! That's all it was. Thanks again.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Brake/tail light has 2 filaments. OP-thought I had the answer until you said it works when plugged to another truck.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Very possible you have a bad flasher unit. I had something very similar happen on my old 2003 Trailblazer. I delayed going on a trip because of it, replacing the factory 7 pin connector as you did. Came back form the trip and learned about the flasher. Replaced it and problem solved.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have someone apply the service breaker to see if brake light comes on. The turn signal and brakes lights use the same filament on combined lights. That is if turn signals are red.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

joshenj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Chevy Diesel LBZ. Thanks for the fuse idea, I'll try that first.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Blown fuse in truck! Some newer trucks have separate fuses for trailer connector. Check owner's manual.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always use WD40 to spray into the 7-pin socket and move it all around to clean the contacts... I think we all have a can of WD40 and some DUCT TAPE on board... Even some bailing wire haha...

Never leave home without them haha...

Since you have replaced the 7-way connector it must be a ground or something not right with the leads feeding the rear hookup.

My truck has the DUAL 7-way and four way trailer connector as a unit with spring door that is used for locking into the trailer plug...

Google search

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
What kind of truck do you have? If it is a newer truck some of them come with fuses for the trailer hitch. It could be one of those fuses blown or corroded connection. Just putting a meter on the pin does not give it enough load to correctly check the current to the light. Even the LED testers do not put enough load to properly check for loose or corroded connections.