cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper towing at least a 30 ft TT crash....

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9252773

Luckily no serious injuries.. It is very windy on this bridge! I hope nobody here does this..
24 REPLIES 24

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I actually do know the rig- the show has several of them. This is a very long wheelbase truck, with a very short rear overhang, and a standard long drawbar hitch. I've towed hundreds of thousands of miles with a similar setup.

You are clearly correct. The camper in the photos appears to extend behind the truck only because the truck has crashed and the camper is partially coming off. You can also tell by the design of the rear of the camper that it does not extend past the bed because otherwise it would be flat across the bottom, versus having the cut outs.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
The guy doing the reporting was in a helicopter and the accident just happened and was being cleaned up. It's a very rare occasion when I would ever defend the media because we know how messed up they are, but how exactly would they get this information on a story that is this fresh? Don't you think that since the freeway was closed it was more important to get the story out versus the minute details?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Uhm, is there a camper in that photo? I don't seem to see it. :h

Chris Bryant wrote:
An upright picture of the same rig, with another in the background:

🙂

:B
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
An upright picture of the same rig, with another in the background:

🙂
-- Chris Bryant

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

A ford truck. Note the drivers door.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
No overhang on the camper (sans camper mounted tailight.) It is an 8'-0 or 8'-6. Most likely no hitch extension is needed.

Better view so you don't need to tilt yer head:

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Glad the people were not seriously injured or worse.

Of course if they had done a proper side wind calculation of the loading per square foot vector times the GCW of their GCWR rating, they would have known they could have encountered wind that exceeded the delta W rating of the hitch preload factoring in the China bomb tires...:h um divided by the rear spring rate x the air bags...:h (I never was very good at computer desk accident analysis... anyway

LOL. Of course, if their load was "properly distributed" they would have been impervious to the wind. After all, if loaded properly, not even sway control is necessary as sway is *impossible* :R 😛 (At least if you tend to believe recent sway control threads here 😉 )

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad the people were not seriously injured or worse.

Of course if they had done a proper side wind calculation of the loading per square foot vector times the GCW of their GCWR rating, they would have known they could have encountered wind that exceeded the delta W rating of the hitch preload factoring in the China bomb tires...:h um divided by the rear spring rate x the air bags...:h (I never was very good at computer desk accident analysis... anyway

On the Great Plains we have a shorter scientifical explanation for this:

"The wind blew them off the road." (or bridge in this case)

Windage

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I actually do know the rig- the show has several of them. This is a very long wheelbase truck, with a very short rear overhang, and a standard long drawbar hitch. I've towed hundreds of thousands of miles with a similar setup.
-- Chris Bryant

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
it isn't extended beyond the bed. It is just sliding off. Look at the cab over part. It isn't over the cab:W. It is an 8 footer

Rockrash
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thread about a similar accident.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/well.142314/

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is more to safe towing than weights vs manufacturers specs. In crosswinds, center of pressure vs center of mass vs pivot points are important to stability, and crosswinds on the Great Plains and in a few passes regularly blow over empty semi-trailers that would have likely been OK if parked for the duration or moving much more slowly. Neither are motorhomes or motorcoaches immune to being pushed by the wind past a driver's ability to maintain or regain control.

This was a high risk combo for crosswind problems, most of the wind force behind the truck. DDs FIL lost a 30 ft TT to a high speed gust, but no camper and it didn't take the truck over, but did pull it off the road.

No telling whether this was a "getting dicy out there, but I'm good to handle it" situation like most of the truck incidents, or it was a surprise, no hint of trouble coming. Highway patrol sometimes shuts down roads for several hours to a day or two, to prevent a rash of wind accidents. Sometimes they'll let cars, singles and semis through, but make doubles, triples, and high profile lightweight vehicles park and wait out the storm.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Lumpty wrote:
These were circus/carnival workers traveling from Orange County, NY to somewhere outside of DC.

Please- there is a HUGE difference between Circus and carnival- they are an act with the Big Apple Circus.
-- Chris Bryant

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
These were circus/carnival workers traveling from Orange County, NY to somewhere outside of DC.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars