cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck stops and RVs

jls
Explorer
Explorer
Other than Flying J, Is there any truck stop chains with amenities (dump stations, parking spaces, fuel discounts,) or general welcome to RVers?
John and Pam
2018 Thor Chateau 22E
Ford Chassis
C90T Suzuki Motorcycle
#9 TO THE FRONT
12 REPLIES 12

dedmiston
Whiskey River wrote:
Just wondering about the high volume delivery pumps that the big trucks use when filling their 150 gallon tanks & large diesel motor homes with at least a 100 gallon tank. How do they work for filling a pick up truck that holds only 35 gallon and only needs 25/28 gallons of fuel to fill. Does the pump shut off in time to keep from over flowing & blowing out fuel from the neck of the tank. That has always been why I have neve used those pumps as I was afraid I would need a change of cloths & a shower before moving on....

It works pretty well. You actually can't just open up the pump full bore, because it will shut off. You have to hold down the valve until it fills. It goes pretty quickly, but not as quick as the big rigs with the pump wide open.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering about the high volume delivery pumps that the big trucks use when filling their 150 gallon tanks & large diesel motor homes with at least a 100 gallon tank. How do they work for filling a pick up truck that holds only 35 gallon and only needs 25/28 gallons of fuel to fill. Does the pump shut off in time to keep from over flowing & blowing out fuel from the neck of the tank. That has always been why I have neve used those pumps as I was afraid I would need a change of cloths & a shower before moving on....

jls
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I now have some options.
John and Pam
2018 Thor Chateau 22E
Ford Chassis
C90T Suzuki Motorcycle
#9 TO THE FRONT

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Mavericks, Chevron, Speedway, Shell from circle k - I've found dumps at various locations. Sanidumps.com or iOverlander app. We have a collection of fuel discount cards, and our credit card gives cash back on transactions as well.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what you are looking for.. Campground I move to tomorrow is across from a brand new LOVES they have RV parking.. (Don't know about dump) I have been to one that did though. Same for T/A some do some do not.

I have also been to a flying J that did NOT have RV parking.. and I'm about to pay for that.

If you must park among the trucks and your RV has slideouts and is designed so you gotta slide one (or more) out try to park so the slides extend OUT of the lot over grass so the trucks can't knock 'em off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Dump stations:
https://www.rvdumps.com/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We find Fly'n Js have the most maneuver room, and most have an RV island with both gas and diesel. No gas in the truck lanes. Pilots unless very new seem to have the least room. We like Loves most of which have plenty of room and McDonalds. We also like Speedways that have truck lanes because they usually are not busy and the pumps turn on with any credit card. Be aware that many truck lanes will not turn on the pumps without a dedicated fuel card. You'll have walk into the fuel desk to give them a credit card. However, this may have changed lately--we haven't used truck lanes other than speedway for some time.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
"Pilot" truck stops have dump stations, fuel, stores-some have small eatery-most have take out foods like Subway. Usually see them in western U.S.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the TA truck stops have dump stations and my visa gives me 5% back on each dollar spent so for $2.5 fuel I get a 12 cent discount regardless of the brand. The cash discount at most truck stops will also save you a few cents.
Turret Class traveler

dedmiston
CarnationSailor wrote:
I prefer truck stops because there is plenty of room to get in and out; however, be aware that the diesel pumps and area around them will most likely be an oily mess. Just something I put up with.

I agree. The truck stops are pretty messy, but I love the convenience of getting in and out so easily. I also love the DEF at the pump.

I've always been welcomed, as long as I don't take too long at the pumps and pull up out of the way when I'm done.

I also enjoy seeing the working folks who are bringing so many of our goods to market. They've always been polite and welcoming to me, as long as I don't slow them down.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

I routinely stop for diesel at all kinds of truck stops, and have found them all to be welcoming to RVer's. I haven't found any other than Pilot/Flying J that offer discounts; however, it seems the Pilot/Flying J prices have risen so much that I can beat their discounted prices at many other truck stops.

Parking spaces are generally not an issue, but I don't know about dump stations as I have never wanted to dump at a truck stop.

I prefer truck stops because there is plenty of room to get in and out; however, be aware that the diesel pumps and area around them will most likely be an oily mess. Just something I put up with.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Loves.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.