cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT-Correct Hitch to use

SimpleMan78
Explorer
Explorer
Late last fall I purchased a new travel trailer (2014 Puma 32DBKS). Dry weight roughly 8,700 with 2,000 cargo...so gross weight of about 10,700. Total length from hitch to bumper is 36'. Tongue weight close to 1,000.

My previous camper hada gross weight of about 8,000 and was 29 feet.

The hitch I have is a Equal-i-zer hitch, which is 1000 tongue/10,000 pound tow capacity. It has no sway control, but does have a spot to mount a small ball and to connect a sway control arm of some sort to trailer. The ball is rated at 10,000.

I guess my question is, do I need to replace my hitch for a higher capacity or will the one I have work...even though my trailer is heavier than what it says.

I am debating if I should purchased a whole new WD hitch with built in sway control or if I can keep the existing hitch and purchase a sway control attachment.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Nick
30 REPLIES 30

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is some recreational reading from a fellow forum member...

1500 Ram vs 8500 lb TT

Then the same forum member posted This a few weeks ago.

Now, this fella is a good forum member, but it illustrates what you may be looking at. He had a capable half ton but after careful analysis came to the conclusion that he needed a 3/4 ton truck.

With a 10k lb trailer I would really want a dually, that's just me though.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

VegasScotty
Explorer
Explorer
SimpleMan78 wrote:
Question on weighing...

Without disconnecting the trailer, can I accurately determine trailer, tongue and combined weight? I want to use a truck scale where I work but don't want to take the time to unhook because it is used quite a bit.

My thought is:
1) Pull pickup onto scale and get the weight.
2) pull truck and trailer onto scale and get weight
3) pull only trailer on scale and get weight (prob don't need to do this)
4) go home and disconnect trailer and go back and weigh truck

To determine tongue weight, take #1 and subtract #4? Would that give me a good estimate?

Yes.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx
Scott.n.Tira from Las Vegas
2021 GD Imagine 2670MK
2012 F250 4x4 6.2 LB

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let us know how you like the Blue Ox Pro; they have a big following on this forum. Seems like a very good setup.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SimpleMan78
Explorer
Explorer
Question on weighing...

Without disconnecting the trailer, can I accurately determine trailer, tongue and combined weight? I want to use a truck scale where I work but don't want to take the time to unhook because it is used quite a bit.

My thought is:
1) Pull pickup onto scale and get the weight.
2) pull truck and trailer onto scale and get weight
3) pull only trailer on scale and get weight (prob don't need to do this)
4) go home and disconnect trailer and go back and weigh truck

To determine tongue weight, take #1 and subtract #4? Would that give me a good estimate?

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
SimpleMan78 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I didn't think this would be such a hot topic ๐Ÿ™‚

I was wrong on the current hitch...it's a Reese, no equa-I-zer. Not sure why I had the 2 mixed up.

Going with the blue ox 1500.

Switched my pickup. Getting a gas guzzler. New camper and pickup almost as much as my house...lol

Thanks for the info...I learned a lot.

Both very good decisions
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You'll love the new 2500!. I love mine 6.0L, depite down a little compared to the competition it's strong, reliable and not too bad on fuel.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dannyabear1 wrote:
And the 6.2 is an all aluminum engine that won't hold up to towing.

If I remember corrrectly, they said the same thing about the Duramax and it is still around and going strong.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dannyabear1 wrote:

source? proof or what?
I'm Just trying to learn.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
SimpleMan
You got some good advice and you made some good choices that you will appreciate down the road.

As far as going with a gas guzzler (2500), ALL pick-up towing 36 foot trailers are gas guzzzlers.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer

SimpleMan78
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I didn't think this would be such a hot topic ๐Ÿ™‚

I was wrong on the current hitch...it's a Reese, no equa-I-zer. Not sure why I had the 2 mixed up.

Going with the blue ox 1500.

Switched my pickup. Getting a gas guzzler. New camper and pickup almost as much as my house...lol

Thanks for the info...I learned a lot.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
And I'm a fan of the Hensley Arrow! More bucks but you get what you pay for. The HA eliminates sway, the friction type only help to control it (Equal-i-zer, Reese DC, etc.) Check out eBay and/or Craigslist for used units. Hensley also rebuilds and warranties them like new. Pro Pride is as good as the HA and utilizes the same technology.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You need a new hitch and a bigger truck. BTW, I'm a fan of the Reese HP Dual Cam integrated WD/ sway control hitch.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer your other question, the Blue OX Pro has a big following and seems to be a good setup. I've got the Equalizer Brand which I'm very satisfied with. Sounds like what you've got is an EAZ Lift style hitch made under various brands nowadays.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"