cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turn fridge LP off at gas pump - another warning!

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
I see there are more threads about traveling with the fridge on LP. I do. My class c fridge is always on except, ahhh 98 percent of the time, when fueling.

This actually happened to me this past weekend in MD at a gas station. I was filling up the thirsty giant and watching the dollars tick away when a Harley pulled into the pump, the same pump as mine on the opposite side. He proceeded to fill up. I suddenly heard one of the loudest f bombs I've ever heard in my life. The gas pump did not auto-shutoff when the Harley was full. Gas shot out of the tank with an explosive force sending gas into the air, all over the Harley, the rider, the gas pump, the ground etc. It had covered an area of about 10~15 feet around. This guy was upset! I was still fueling but stopped the flow and went over to help. After I asked him if he had a match (kinda got smile out of him) he got some paper towels and proceeded to clean up. I finished fueling grabbed my multi-hundred dollar receipt and got into the RV.

I HAD LEFT THE FRIDGE ON AND COULD HERE IT BURNING!

If the Harley had pulled into the pump across from me instead of the opposite side, y'all would be reading about our dental records on the news.

I'm going to have a reminder plaque made up to put on my dash "Turn the @#$*&^%$ fridge off before fueling you idiot!"
104 REPLIES 104

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
So what's the moral of this story? Never fill up beside a biker, or never fuel up beside an RV, or both? I'm thinking both.

Don't go to gas stations. They're too dangerous.

I just find it interesting that some people feel entitled to decide on their own what is safe at a gas pump without giving those gassing up beside them any choice in the matter.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
So what's the moral of this story? Never fill up beside a biker, or never fuel up beside an RV, or both? I'm thinking both.

Don't go to gas stations. They're too dangerous.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
I run it while traveling which is what it's designed for and still don't worry about it.

I know it's a dead horse and such... but I have read this many times in this forum. Is this officially documented anywhere?

Out of curiosity I decided to read my Jayco manual to look for this. Here is what I found:

"The propane cylinder(s) should be turned off when traveling. Most refrigerators will keep food cold or frozen for eight hours without running while you travel"

That's one of those things that the company puts in there for liability reasons. Many motorhome fires have started in frig area but they start whether you are on the road or not. It's just clearly more dangerous if you are driving down the freeway in a vehicle that's on fire. So they put these safety precautions in there so in case something happens they can say they told you not to do it. Also it is clearly safer to have the propane shut off at the tank while traveling in case you're in an accident. But I don't do it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tachdriver wrote:
Time for Mythbusters!!

That's a heckuvan idea!!!! I going to submit it to the show and see if they will do it. I can't see them turning down a chance to blow up an RV!

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up but mine will stay on.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
I run it while traveling which is what it's designed for and still don't worry about it.

I know it's a dead horse and such... but I have read this many times in this forum. Is this officially documented anywhere?

Out of curiosity I decided to read my Jayco manual to look for this. Here is what I found:

"The propane cylinder(s) should be turned off when traveling. Most refrigerators will keep food cold or frozen for eight hours without running while you travel"

Time for Mythbusters!!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
apr67 wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
BTW, the first story linked (Rhino explosion) is from 1892, 1992, 2002? Not directed at poster, but at the author of the story who neglected to include a DATE in the article. It was a "Monday" no idea which Monday, but pretty sure it was a Monday :R

Monday as in the monday of the week the message was posted.

Perhaps known as July 29, 2013

Haha. I was referring to the undated article at the link that was posted. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Referring to the reporter who wrote the message, not any poster here. LOL.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic fridge manual says to turn the thermostat to MAX to keep the flame from blowing out on the highway.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:

2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
That cranking motor (starter) is somewhat sealed, of course, but it is NOT vapor tight, and it is only 1 to 2 feet off the ground! Perhaps we should have second thoughts about starting the engine while sitting at the pumps?
We humans do manage to worry about the most insignificant things while ignoring the obvious.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow - I never could figure out why there where so many RV explosions at gas stations!! Now I know!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel filler on my coach in on the rear, at the driver side.
The frig is on the curb side, in the center of the coach, 4 or 5 feet high.
If the fuel vapors are concentrated enough to have an ignitable mix that high and that far away from the nozzle, we are all dead anyway!
Have you ever seen the commutator on a cranking motor when it is energized? The brushes throw a "shower of sparks" that would be the envy of a Bendix/Scintilla Magneto engineer! That cranking motor (starter) is somewhat sealed, of course, but it is NOT vapor tight, and it is only 1 to 2 feet off the ground! Perhaps we should have second thoughts about starting the engine while sitting at the pumps?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
BTW, the first story linked (Rhino explosion) is from 1892, 1992, 2002? Not directed at poster, but at the author of the story who neglected to include a DATE in the article. It was a "Monday" no idea which Monday, but pretty sure it was a Monday :R

Monday as in the monday of the week the message was posted.

Perhaps known as July 29, 2013
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
2oldman wrote:
DavidP wrote:
As a MC rider I'm a little amazed a fellow rider would not tend to the nozzle and rely on the auto shut off to stop the pump. Moronic.
Really. How much gas can they possibly hold?

Well, my bike holds about 5.25 gallons. Not sure why youโ€™re inquiring or what that has to do with the discussion. Itโ€™s just one of those things if you ride a bike you manually tend the pump and not rely on the auto shut off to stop the pump. In the event the shut off fails itโ€™s not just running all over the ground it is running all over a potential ignition sourceโ€ฆ..a very hot engine and pipes.

I think he meant how much trouble is it to put in 2 or three gallons without the auto shut off.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.