Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twist-on sewer valves…

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
My objective here is fun.

After 20+ years…and quite a few miles we are in a water and electric site for a few days…gurgling sounds…water in the shower…I run to the sewer tub, grab my never-used, twist-on gate valve, start pushing and pulling gates and minutes later, the gray tank indicates 1/3…

Problems solved…

The best part: 12 hours later, the camper still hasn’t exploded. 🙂

Mild seriousness: glad I bought the thing 20 years ago.
35 REPLIES 35

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
No concern about possible black water mixed into the gray tank/lines?

It’s now been 24 hours. The camper still hasn’t initiated a runaway nuclear reaction. Should I be concerned?

Four serious comments:

1. Gray water flows into black, not the opposite.

2. These things mix daily in regular houses.

3. Food waste + water + soap + anaerobic bacteria = plenty of nastiness in gray water tanks.

4. It’s preferable to gray water coming up in the tub.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
No concern about possible black water mixed into the gray tank/lines?
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two of the mods Dad and I did to his 5th wheel when he started full timing. Install a third valve near stinky slinky hookup so at least 2 valves had to be open for anything comes out.
The 2nd was a second drain, with 2 valves, about 3/4 up on grey tank. With both open, grey water would bypass the main valve, and if the added valve was open, thru stinky. Close the lower, the water exits thru hose bib. Close top valve, and could back into shower.
On FHU site, he would run small hose from hose bib to sewer, or where allowed, into bushes. Live as normal, (normal, for him, was dump dish pan down toilet. Food bits and soapy water help move the cornbacked rattlers) until black full. Hook up slinky, drain black, have plenty of grey to flush, stow slinky.
If he had guests on a E/W site, shower fill tank, he would drain a few buckets dump into black tank.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
msmith1.wa wrote:
I leave mine on all the time. Prevents surprises from the other two valves if they were to leak.

Exactly the twist on valves work better than a sewer end cap
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine on all the time. Prevents surprises from the other two valves if they were to leak.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, I've carried one for years, in case of emergency. Still unused, but ready when needed.