Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twist-on sewer valves…

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
My objective here is fun.

After 20+ years…and quite a few miles we are in a water and electric site for a few days…gurgling sounds…water in the shower…I run to the sewer tub, grab my never-used, twist-on gate valve, start pushing and pulling gates and minutes later, the gray tank indicates 1/3…

Problems solved…

The best part: 12 hours later, the camper still hasn’t exploded. 🙂

Mild seriousness: glad I bought the thing 20 years ago.
35 REPLIES 35

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
No concern about possible black water mixed into the gray tank/lines?

Do you worry about the grey and black water mixing in a sticks and bricks residence? It all shares the same drain pipes and vent system.

Sticks and bricks housing does not STORE waste water, it all gets flushed away immediately. Simple logic.

You've never heard of a septic tank? In an RV the waste tanks are vented to the atmosphere, similar to the way residential plumbing is vented with the black and grey often sharing the same vent piping.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^Absolutely would, if you choose to leave attached all the time. It would have been nice if the manufacturer would have added a valve OE, for the small cost.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
For me, and many others, the twist valve is a backup, in the event of a stuck valve. My tanks are enclosed, and valves remotely operated. If any of my 3 tanks remote valve stuck open/partly open, the twist on would have it covered. It has never happened, but being prepared for it, is likely the reason it hasn't.

I could use it to connect my 2 40 gal gray tanks, if needed for more capacity. I would rather not add my 40 gal black tank, but certainly could for 120 gal capacity.

I also use a sewer cap, with a garden hose hookup on it. When I am ready to dump, I open this little cap first, while holding sewer hose up, before removing entire cap. There may be a little residual water, from long run to rear gray tank line. In any case, no big surprise when removing the sewer cap that serves 3 40 gal tanks.

Jerry

Doesn't the twist valve resolve the surprise leakage issue. With no cap to remove you simply attach the sewer hose and open the valve.
There is not a chance for a surprise with the twist on valve.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
For me, and many others, the twist valve is a backup, in the event of a stuck valve. My tanks are enclosed, and valves remotely operated. If any of my 3 tanks remote valve stuck open/partly open, the twist on would have it covered. It has never happened, but being prepared for it, is likely the reason it hasn't.

I could use it to connect my 2 40 gal gray tanks, if needed for more capacity. I would rather not add my 40 gal black tank, but certainly could for 120 gal capacity.

I also use a sewer cap, with a garden hose hookup on it. When I am ready to dump, I open this little cap first, while holding sewer hose up, before removing entire cap. There may be a little residual water, from long run to rear gray tank line. In any case, no big surprise when removing the sewer cap that serves 3 40 gal tanks.

Jerry

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Dumping your gray water, or emptying your gray tank, is generally only permitted on BLM managed lands, but may still be illegal by state law. Despite that, it's very common for boondockers to dump their gray water on the ground on BLM lands.Mar 24, 2019

Can I Dump my Gray Water on the Ground?"

boondockersbible.com
https://www.boondockersbible.com › knowledgebase › c...
Puma 30RKSS

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
In Fleetwood's infinite wisdom, my Bounder came with 2 50 gallon waste tanks. DUH! I add a gray water transfer pump to balance the waste water storage.

Richard

If both tanks use the same drain. Put a twist on valve on the outlet and close it.
Open both tanks and they will equalize themselves.

Or I can just flip the pump switch in stead of going out side.
I can also use the same pump to pump gray water through a green garden hose, to a distant drain.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:

Do you worry about the grey and black water mixing in a sticks and bricks residence? It all shares the same drain pipes and vent system.

Sticks and bricks housing does not STORE waste water, it all gets flushed away immediately. Simple logic.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread is hilarious…I think. But it’s certainly either confusing or someone is spending poo much time overthinking sewer valves and hookup….
Haha get it? “poo” much time?

(Seemed a fitting joke for this weird thread…)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:

In the past many areas allowed grey water to be dumped on ground, where it could be used by plants. But going back forever, one of the first signs of "civilization" was control of human waste. (A century ago, for many homes the control was just a pit, with small building with hole in floor.)
In the modern home, all the waste water goes out the same pipe. The less dirty water helps carry and break down the solids. (We have all heard of the issues RVers have because not enough water in black tank. Think about how fast that issue would develop in house, where waste must move a long ways. Notice when you go to dump station they mix back together?)
It has been a while since I have been anyplace dumping greywater out of RV on ground. I suspect it has a lot to do with understanding what drains from a kitchen sink is pretty dark.
I have heard talk about RVs no longer need 2 waste tanks.

OT. The house where my draft notice found me, toilet, bathroom sink, and Grandma's bathtub drained into a septic system. The field was under part of the area around hen house. (BTW, daytime menfolk where expected to use outhouse) The kitchen sink drained to daylight in the orchard, where chickens cleaned the water. The shower in basement drained into the garden.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd have gone to the bath house and let her use the RV shower for those few days if tank size was an issue.
Puma 30RKSS

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is cross contamination in the pipe that all the tanks empty into on the way to the sewer hose. Therefore, if water backs up into the shower, well... you're standing in it.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RLS7201 wrote:
In Fleetwood's infinite wisdom, my Bounder came with 2 50 gallon waste tanks. DUH! I add a gray water transfer pump to balance the waste water storage.

Richard

If both tanks use the same drain. Put a twist on valve on the outlet and close it.
Open both tanks and they will equalize themselves.
Correct Trax,Splendide

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Boomerweps wrote:

Does it matter? It's all waste water. THe grey and black mixes in you stand brix house!
A good trick to use when you need additional tank capacity is to
close twist valve. Open Full grey tank and then open black tank.
Excess grey water will back fill into black tank. Creating additional space in grey tank. You can gain 5,10,20 gallons of additional grey tank capacity that way depending on the size of your tanks.
Correct Trax,Splendide