cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

U/P Michigan or Minnesota?

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, my lovely bride and I want to take a two week trip up north in August to get away from the mid-west heat. We're thinking about the U/P of Michigan or someplace in Minnesota but have been to neither one so we're looking for suggestions on where to stay. We don't require lots of activities, we just enjoy visiting our camping neighbors and going out to eat and generally unwinding. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Paul & Margie
32 REPLIES 32

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, I will be home from the U.P. on August 8 and working.:(
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everybody for the info, I knew I could count on my FF (Forum Friends).
We have decided to visit the UP. Leaving home on Aug 15 so expect to arrive at UP on 17th for a 10-day stay.
Now all we have to do is decide where to stay and whether or not we need to make reservations.
We hope to meet some of you there.
Thanks again.
Paul & Margie

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Minnesota.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I will add if you are into mountain biking. The trails at Michigan Tech and Copper Harbor are worth the trip alone.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to have a great time going in either direction.

We love our annual August trip up the north shoren of MN, it's a beautiful drive - lots to see. We've stayed each of the last 22yrs at the Grand Marais municipal park (previously mentioned). It's on the lake and a walk into town. Sven and Ole's wild rice pizza is GREAT, the Angry Trout is a very nice restaurant for more up-scale tastes. Wouldn't miss this trip each year.

We've also camped a couple times per year for the last 6 in the Keweenaw peninsula (UP) as our son was going to college at MTU in Houghton. Also beautiful country! We've stayed at McLain State Park but prefer the Hancock municipal campgrounds, more secluded spots right on the portage as McLain seemed pretty packed in during the summer. Lots of things to explore in the Keweenaw, you have to catch the snow thermometer gauge by the side of the road indicating annual snowfall (~25' average if I recall correctly). Many students at MTU fall in love with the UP and want to go back if they get the chance.

In between you could do the lower end of the north shore (Duluth) and then head along the south shore through Superior WI, Bayfield, Ashland and end up in the UP. We've driven this a few times, and camped in the Bayfield area once, again on the Superior shore. If you have enough time, and like to drive you could do the Superior Circle Tour around the whole lake and get to see it all. We did a 10day tour a couple years ago, I wouldn't recommend any faster and suggest taking even more time if you have it. The northeast shore of Superior (in Canada) is gorgeous!

Enjoy!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
FoCoNoCo wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
I will chime in since the town we live in, Grand Marais, MN has been mentioned. The mosquito fear is being overdone. Yes they are around now, but already starting to fade. By August, no big deal. Staying at the rec park in Grand Marais right on Lake Superior is wonderful. Temps in Aug will likely be in the low 80's max, more likely in the 70's by the lake. Overnite lows 40/50's. With the cold winter we just had, and Lake Superior nearly freezing over completely, camping next to it will be cool.

The entire town is easily seen on foot, and much to see there is. We also love the UP and go there at every opportunity.
. They could have been referring to Grand Marais, Michigan as well....

Since the post mentioned Sven and Ole's pizza place here in Grand Marais, MN, I think he meant the MN GM.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Days wrote:
Both places are great to visit.We like the upper U.P. \the best. When it gets hot we go over and camp by lake Michigan to beat the summer heat. Have a great vacation.

I'm not quite sure where the "upper" Upper Peninsula" is located, and I used to live in the U.P. One thing I do know, if you are truly in the upper U.P., you would not be by Lake Michigan, you would be near Lake Superior.

In your vernacular, Lake Michigan (Big and Little Bay de Noc, and the open Lake) would be in "lower Upper Peninsula". I would guess that uppermost Upper Peninsula would be when you are on the Keweenaw Peninsula, which is a truly beautiful part of the U.P.

And I second, third or fourth the comments about not worrying about mosquitos. I really do get tired of non-residents warning people about MN and UP mosquitos in August, September and October. If you come in early-mid June, they are truly thick. Each subsequent hatch gets less as the summer goes on and things dry up. September is our favorite time for camping because both the mosquitos and most other campers are gone for the season. We generally have the state parks and national forest campgrounds to ourselves.

You may also get dire warnings from non-locals that this is BEAR and WOLF country and your dog (and perhaps yourself) will get eaten. Yes, there are bear and wolf here. You will be lucky to see one (you most likely will not) and we locals hike and camp with our dogs and don't have any problems. Just keep your animals on a leash and you will be OK. The state parks and national forests require that pets be leashed anyway, so just follow the rules.

FoCoNoCo
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
I will chime in since the town we live in, Grand Marais, MN has been mentioned. The mosquito fear is being overdone. Yes they are around now, but already starting to fade. By August, no big deal. Staying at the rec park in Grand Marais right on Lake Superior is wonderful. Temps in Aug will likely be in the low 80's max, more likely in the 70's by the lake. Overnite lows 40/50's. With the cold winter we just had, and Lake Superior nearly freezing over completely, camping next to it will be cool.

The entire town is easily seen on foot, and much to see there is. We also love the UP and go there at every opportunity.
. They could have been referring to Grand Marais, Michigan as well....

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, you're getting excellent advice on the UP. We are partial to Muskallonge Lake State Park because you can do lots of day trips. Plus, you can spend the day on Muskallonge Lake or go across the street to Lake Superior.
Indian Lakes State Park is also a great spot, especially if you want to be on Lake Michigan.
Let us know what you decide and we can all give you tips on your final destination...as long as it's in the UP! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer

George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Rexlion wrote:
This year, with the ice in the lake, I'd expect the lake effect along the shore to be more pronounced than usual.

Average Lake Superior surface temps Anything below that is 40f, take a dip while you're up there!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
The person wants to camp. If you camp, you will have mosquitoes. Why harp on that. If you can't handle mosquitoes, stay in a town.
Now to the better parts. I have camped in both the northern MN and the UP. (not U/P). Both are great. If you want some higher mountains, the UP. If you want lakes, than MN is best. Both will give you a great experience.
If you want something different, try the North Shore Drive from Duluth MN to the border. Means moving a lot.
MN has State parks, State forests, Core of Engineers, City, County and of course private CGs. If one is full, go on to the next.
By planning a little ahead, you will find county fairs and city Days to go to for a different experience.
But don't worry about mosquitoes, humidity, or hot or cold.
You will be in the woods. Shade is 5 feet away. The lake will be less than 50 feet away. An a jacket will be in your car.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
The UP and ditto the Keeweenaw Peninsula

X2 Houghton is a college town and there are a few good restaurants there. "The Library" comes to mind as the best in town. Oh..and you'll find that there is plenty of beer available at this "library".

I think that the coolest spot would be McClain SP or the SP in the Porcupines.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
2 summers ago I started out in MN but after a few days it got into the mid 80s along the shore, so I drove to the UP. I spent a night at Porcupine Mtn SP and 3 nights at McLain SP, and it was mostly upper 70s but did reach 82 one day.

I think the breeze moving easterly off the lake makes the Keweenaw Peninsula state parks a bit cooler, although it's not a big difference. This year, with the ice in the lake, I'd expect the lake effect along the shore to be more pronounced than usual.

Both the MN shoreline and the UP shoreline are picturesque. Why not spend some time at each?

If you have trouble getting into the state parks (weekends could be especially tough), try the forest CGs or municipal CGs. For example, Tettegouche in MN may be full, but Eckbeck state forest CG just a couple miles up the road toward Finland should have room. McLain in MI is wonderful but if you can't score a spot there, try Ft Wilkins farther north, or Gratiot River County Park not far north of McLain, or one of the CGs in Houghton/Hancock.

As for eating out, I have only one recommendation: a pizza at Sven and Ole's in Grand Marais. (I don't eat out often when camping.)
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point