cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unsolicited want to buy your RV people

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
OK I am paranoid, I was not born this way it is an acquired trait. I live in a small out of the way neighborhood and the likelihood of someone just driving by and seeing my rv is rather slim.

I see people post that someone has stopped by and wanted to buy their RV and they are excited. I think they should be very cautious. I poked around the net and found very little on this so looking for some input.

Like I said I live in a small out of the way neighborhood in FL, in winter we get a deluge of door to door sales people from solar setups, roofs, windows. I no longer answer the door, if I am outside when they approach I ask to see their soliciting permit and if they cannot produce one I tell them I am calling the police. This past winter after the hurricane it was about 2 a week!

Anyway last month I had 2 different people stop and ask if I wanted to sell my RV, I am quite rude and tell them to get lost. Any input on this.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/someone-tried-to-scam-me-329657.html
29 REPLIES 29

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
PA12DRVR wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Quote them 2x maybe 3x what you paid and let it go if they really want it. I do this all the time with realtors. They never call back.

Or quote them the current price for a replacement and see what the response is. I have to admit that I'm puzzled by the angst about people asking if one's RV is for sale. "Yes" or most likely "No". If one doesn't engage further, what's the risk of the "scam"? If the risk is that an elderly person in a remote area will be attacked, that risk is always present and is neither unique to RV's nor a "scam".
Yes I probably put that wrong. Go with at least 50% over new list price of a replacement. Need money for tax, title, options, etc.

Sometimes I will just answer that they cannot afford it or that they don't have enough money.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Dusty R wrote:
Maybe put a sign on it NOT for sale.

Right next to the โ€œsecurity by Smith n Wessonโ€ sticker!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Quote them 2x maybe 3x what you paid and let it go if they really want it. I do this all the time with realtors. They never call back.

Or quote them the current price for a replacement and see what the response is. I have to admit that I'm puzzled by the angst about people asking if one's RV is for sale. "Yes" or most likely "No". If one doesn't engage further, what's the risk of the "scam"? If the risk is that an elderly person in a remote area will be attacked, that risk is always present and is neither unique to RV's nor a "scam".
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do agree with you that us elderly people are targets. I hate scammers.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had 9 or 10 people in the last year or so come onto my property asking if my 24' Class C was for sale. First of all it sits 30+ yards in from the street in a fenced {chain link} gated yard facing my house {not the street}. If it was for sale it would be out at the street, facing out with a For Sale {Se Verde} sign.

Some appeared to be legitimate want to be buyers but a few clearly were scammers. Everyone gets their picture taken and if they don't like it... tough. I feel no need whatsoever to put a
"Not for sale" sign up as it plainly is not.

:R

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
If the rig has been parked for months, I can see why people might inquire as to whether you might want to sell. And if you have a desirable property, why not? The worst that the inquiry could produce is a firm โ€œnoโ€. One of the parks I owned was bought exactly that way, I asked the owners if they would consider selling and we worked out a deal that worked for both of us. Asking if something is for sale could work out for both parties.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a camera door bell, I have a home security system which also includes the RV, I have a home surveillance system. I recently put a sign on my door that says ATTENTION, if you are not a friend, neighbor or making a delivery do NOT ring the bell or knock on door! Still had one banging on the door!

When I get the calls, I open the front door and ring the bell, then tell them give me a minute someone is at the door and set the phone down!

I do suspect that they buy lists of the elderly and target only us.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't get the knock on the door, but constantly getting calls & emails, wanting to buy my Stick & brick,(all of which I ignore), and hang up or delete.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look in to Ring door bell it works great for us. It's a great way to see your property when at home or away.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW glad I don,t live near any of you. I live in the canton ohio area , seen things sitting for long time in yards ,stopped asked if it was for sale,NEVER had anybody be rude . also bought a few things. I like boats, an older cars. canton a great placeto live.

At least they just want your RV. Near here they are building a plant to build electric cars. They just walk up and offer to buy your property and everything on it. Thieves wanting to make a buck.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:

This is good, very good. Make it a large sign. Yup

Life is sweet and sour

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
My input is that you are doing the right thing. If you RV is not for sale you should be be engaging with any strangers.