cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Urgent help needed with Blue Ox Sway Pro swaying

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
Currently in Orlando leaving to return to Montreal on Friday. Had a white knuckle ride all the way down and can't see myself going back the same way, especially with wind.

I am pulling a 24bds Fun finder that weighs 6200 LB loaded and has a tongue weight of 850 lbs. All weights are from cat scale and dealer. I am using a 2014 Dodge Durango R/T with 5,7 hemi and Blue Ox Sway pro as hitch. I am within 400 lbs of max payload. Before leaving I installed 4 brand new Maxxis 8008 for good measure.

On the way down the car was barely controllable, it seemed like it was all over the road. I stopped ar an RV service center and he reset my hitch 1 hole lower which DRAMATICALLY improved the ride.

The only problem is that I now have a ton of sway, particularly when it's windy it I get passed, semis are scary but pickups or larger vehicles also. Cause stress. Cross winds are the worst.

I adjusted the bar tension from recommended to tightest and while ride improves, sway is unchanged.

I called BLue Ox from the road several times and they did their best to help, but nothing worked Their final advice was to lower the hitch to 1" below the ball, which I will try.

Any other suggestions? I will be at the Daytona RV show Friday, any body I should ask for or see for help?
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS
40 REPLIES 40

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
skripo wrote:
Moral of the story, listen to people who offer tuning advice before they suggest you move up to a bigger truck.

To be fair to those that did suggest that, you were trying to tow an awful lot of trailer with that Durango. Just because you got it dialed in so it doesn't sway doesn't mean that you then had the ideal setup.

Congratulations on the new coach. The Fiat will tow a lot nicer behind that than your old trailer ever did behind the Durango!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
We LOVE our Fiat 500 also!!
Although since it is my Wife's car, and an automatic, we don't use it for a toad. We use my "06" Jeep Wrangler!!

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, son's Fiat 500 ๐Ÿ™‚

Love the **** thing.
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
skripo wrote:
Got back and needed to catch up but here is my update:

I upped the tire pressure to 50 PSI in the rear and 45 in the front. I also dropped one hole to lower the tongue and the whole thing kind of dialled itself in.

Don't get me wrong, I still knew I was towing and I still felt the semi's, but according to a dealer I stopped at, I should expect that in just about any vehicle. Drove all the way back with no fear or issues.

Moral of the story, listen to people who offer tuning advice before they suggest you move up to a bigger truck.

In any case, this is my last post here, just bought a Georgetown 364TSF and taking delivery January 30th.

Thank you for all the help.

So the Durango will now be the Toad?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
Got back and needed to catch up but here is my update:

I upped the tire pressure to 50 PSI in the rear and 45 in the front. I also dropped one hole to lower the tongue and the whole thing kind of dialled itself in.

Don't get me wrong, I still knew I was towing and I still felt the semi's, but according to a dealer I stopped at, I should expect that in just about any vehicle. Drove all the way back with no fear or issues.

In any case, this is my last post here, just bought a Georgetown 364TSF and taking delivery January 30th.

Thank you for all the help.
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update since I had an unplanned stop due to insane traffic on i95.

My rear shocks are auto levelling nivomats. These are self contained units that will automatically level themselves within a few miles.

It seems like it takes them time to set up but now it drives like its on rails.

Thanks for all the help!
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

Sharopete
Explorer
Explorer
If this is the TV-TT combo you intend to stick with you might try timbrens or air bags on the rear to further improve towing performance. I have towed comfortably at max load before and in addition to the good advice you've received about ensuring the TT was not nose high and the tire pressures were appropriate I found considerable improvement with air bags. Separate left and right lines are best to keep the air from squishing out of one side and into the other on turns, bumps, etc. Happy New Year.
My lovely wife Sharon ๐Ÿ™‚
Me (Pete)
Lots of grandkids ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Ram 3500
2008 Titanium 34E39QSSA

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
skripo wrote:

When I said max pressure I meant for the trailer tires. The TV max pressure rating is 50.

I still need to find the right pressure combo to soften the ride a bit. I will try 45 rear and 40 front now that I know how to fix the problem.

I find that running the fronts at 50 makes the ride a little harsh.

Hi skripo,

I have been following your post and will see if I can offer some help.

I have found, tire side wall stiffness is a significant factor in establishing a stable towing rig. I had a K2500 Suburban that gave me a heck of a time when when it came to putting new tires on. The same 2500 truck reacted very differently when different brand LT E load range tires were changed. Here is the post if you want to read up more on this. Stability Effect When Changing Tires - GM 3/4 Ton Suburban

This is what I had/found.

If the front of the truck has the ability to flex in the tire side wall when the truck and camper are being side wind pushed, the front of the truck will not hold rigid and the "back" of the truck will feel like it just slipped across the road. The jolt is very fast and it knocks you off guard. In my case it was not the semi's bow wave effect but side cross winds.

The end result was this was a tire pressure experiment once I understood what was going on. I had the rear tires at max side wall pressure. (80 psi in my case) The fronts was the adjusting experiment. Leave the back at max side wall cold pressure and adjust the front.

The door sticker said rear at 80 and the fronts to be at 50psi and where I had always towed with for the last 10,000 miles. This was a bad pressure setup for the new brand of LT E's. I found out that there was a global shift better by up'ing the front 10psi to 60. The whole rig became more stable but still not what I had before.

The last experiment, I started out from home (back at 80 front at 75psi) Figuring I can lower the pressure along the way if I needed too easier then pumping it up. Towing down the interstate at 55mph, when I hit a hard bump the front of the truck would jump left or right. With my stiff front end suspension and lack of added truck weight, 75psi was too much. The hard bounce/shifting is not good either. I dropped down 5 psi to 70. 70 was better but still hard in roughness.

I knew 60 psi in my case was the bottom end of where I wanted to go as 50 did not work. I ended up at 65psi as the middle ground. The truck was never as stable as it was before and I have no more pressure left to change. But it was a 90% improvement from the issue when it started. The lessen learned is all LT tires are not created equal when it come to side wall stiffness. And there is no rating for side wall stiffness making it very complex to know which new tires to buy.

I would suggest you leave the rear tires at max side wall. 50 in your case. Only adjust the fronts. If you keep tweaking both at the same time you are not going to figure this out with what you have to work with. The rear of the truck is heavier and it can deal with the added stiffness better then the front can which is lighter (means more bounce on the front)

There will be a point where you cannot optimize the tires any better but it is a knob you can adjust which has to be done anyway in your towing setup.

You mentioned upgrading your tires to LT's. Heads up, that may not be a good or doable option in your case. You stated 20"rims. The Aspect ratio (defined) on a 20" rim on your truck suggests you have the newer smaller aspect ratio tires. Skinner tires so to speak. Finding an LT tire in that aspect ratio may be complex.

The next part about LT tires is they can be soft side walls at the lower pressures. Worse then you are now. A LT D load range often maxes out at 65psi. A LT E load range is 80 psi. You cannot run them soft as they will not gain you any stiffness. They are made to have air holding the weight. Point: if 50psi is too harsh now, running 60 to 70 psi is going to be worse. Your rims also need to be rated to handle the increased pressure. Going to LT may not work in your case.

As to the rest of your rig,

Yes, the camper tires to be at max side wall pressure.

The comment was made about the truck being level, this might happen but is not a proper sign that WD on the truck is set correctly. If you have scale axle weights hitched and unhitched tells us more then truck being level. Tire fender heights also tell a better story about the WD. If you have auto air suspension that adds a new dynamic to all of this. Need to know if you have this. Just because the truck is level when hitched up does not mean the WD is set correctly. In fact that might be very wrong.

Yes, the camper being level is best but level cannot always be obtained as you can only adjust within 1 hole on the hitch. Next best is slight nose down verses nose up. Do not be nose down more then 1" or else the trailer axle loading can be a long term issue.

Loaded tongue weight per loaded GVW of the camper is critical. If you are in the 13% range, it is OK.

The hitch, I am not convinced your brand of hitch is the best choice for anti sway control in your application. However, also in your case, upgrading the hitch may not solve all your issues. Set the Swaypro up per the instructions for WD and that is the best it can give you. The only anti sway adjustment they declare is add more tongue weight or hitch height. You know you are maxed out now on ability to add more tongue weight. But we or you may not yet know if the WD is setup optimum yet. Since you tow well going down the high way, it suggests your WD may not be real far off, truck stability may be more the issue.

The truck. Your truck can fit many campers but the one you picked maybe not the best combination. I looked up your camper. Nice camper, congrats. The 27', 7" long 10 ft 6" tall and flush slide floor means the camper is high up there catching air currents and long for your truck wheel base and rear overhang (tow ball to rear axle) My son in law has a Durango, just a slightly older one, the prior body design. His has coil rear springs. I'm assuming yours does too. The truck suspension plays a large role in being stable for towing. The stiffer the suspension, the more stable to ward off high profile campers pushing on the truck. There are a few things pushing the limits of your rig dealing with the truck. Soft suspension, softer tires, the truck loaded to capacity with camper weight and passengers trying to deal with a high profile camper verses the truck size. Tire pressure will hopefully get you better. Long term you may need a change in the camper or the truck. In our case years ago, we loved the camper too much and the truck has to change. In my case it was a 2002 Chevy Tahoe that we traded in 2004. Yes a 2 year old truck was traded for the 2003 2500 Suburban.

Good luck and hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
skripo wrote:
4) all air pressure at max. Trailer at 50 and TV is at 36 psi
I spoke to my friend, a 30 year veteran of the tire industry and current wheel designer. He suggested I bring up the pressure to 50 psi.

I will try that first.
Thanks for the pressure tip. A friend suggested it as well and it completely eliminated the problem.
In the first post above, you indicated the TV max tire pressure was 36 psi.

Did you bring the TV tires up to 50 psi?

What is the max pressure rating for the TV tires?

Ron

When I said max pressure I meant for the trailer tires. The TV max pressure rating is 50.

I still need to find the right pressure combo to soften the ride a bit. I will try 45 rear and 40 front now that I know how to fix the problem.

I find that running the fronts at 50 makes the ride a little harsh.
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Since you stated you have XL P tires, I assume you read the sidewall and inflated them to the max pressure listed there. After making a tire pressure adjustment you probably also figured out the Durango is adequate for towing that camper, contrary to several people advising to replace it, lol! I'm surprised no one suggested to purchase a 1 ton for that camper :R

Glad it is working out now, the answer is not always "buy a bigger tow vehicle."

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
skripo wrote:
4) all air pressure at max. Trailer at 50 and TV is at 36 psi
I spoke to my friend, a 30 year veteran of the tire industry and current wheel designer. He suggested I bring up the pressure to 50 psi.

I will try that first.
Thanks for the pressure tip. A friend suggested it as well and it completely eliminated the problem.
In the first post above, you indicated the TV max tire pressure was 36 psi.

Did you bring the TV tires up to 50 psi?

What is the max pressure rating for the TV tires?

Ron

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
krobbe wrote:
skripo wrote:
I'm towing a 24', not 26.

Actual length is 27' 7".
I also noticed that the max frontal area from the chart Jeremiah provided lists 60 sq ft. The FunFinder 24BDS has about a 80 sq ft frontal area.
It really is a case of not enough truck. An easy, relaxed tow requires extra margins on all of the ratings.

Bingo!

x2

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
skripo wrote:
I'm towing a 24', not 26.

Actual length is 27' 7".
I also noticed that the max frontal area from the chart Jeremiah provided lists 60 sq ft. The FunFinder 24BDS has about a 80 sq ft frontal area.
It really is a case of not enough truck. An easy, relaxed tow requires extra margins on all of the ratings.

Bingo!