cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

URGENT - where to buy a car dolly?

Leda
Explorer
Explorer
First of all I apologize all my topics are urgent, but we were supposed to leave a day ago from Toronto and still more issues are coming...

Now, we have to tow our car with us behind our motorhome 1996 Damon Challenger - the car is a Dodge Caravan, automatic transmission. So we urgently need a car dolly.

I need advice what is the most cost efficient way to get one... It is our first year in Canada - so I really rely on you guys to tell me... no other sources. Are car morgues an option? Shall I get a new one - if yes, from where?

Looking forward (every 5 minutes) for your comments. Thanks a million!
Miracles start to happen when you give as much energy to your dreams as you do to your fears
12 REPLIES 12

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any trailer dealer will sell you as many as you want 6 days a week. Have you tried looking up a local trailer dealer and contacting them?

It's "urgent" so money should not be an object. The old adage of, "Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two," is appropriate here.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
For used, widen your CL search by using onecraigs.com. For need like now, U-Haul.

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World sells them
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The warning about mini vans is worth repeating. Their "track" (spread of the front wheels) is more than some dollies can handle. I hadn't heard about the fender-rubbing issue... Wonder how running boards might affect dolly towing if this van has them.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Click here for American Car Dolly

Suggest you might want to look at this well built dolly. They delivered mine (included in price). See if they are currently delivering around Buffalo or up that way and if they have an extra in stock. Great price and a very stout set up

Leda
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the answers! I'll do as adviced.
Checked U-haul weeks ago. The best they could offer was rent of 420$ per 9 days after some huge discount (they called me a week after the first offer around 700$ with this offer for 420$)... we intend to travel 14 days so it will be more... I don't remember the price for per day... but I remember that we discussed if we get to the tow option to buy a dolly.

I will check the used ones where you adviced but do you happen to know where to go for a new one? Not that we are getting a new one but I want to check the options on the new ones...

Thanks again!
Miracles start to happen when you give as much energy to your dreams as you do to your fears

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I understand from other posts that vans do not tow well on most dollies as the front wheels are forward and the fenders tend to rub on the pivoting fenders. When we were looking Acme Tow Dolly said they had a unit that would accommodate vans.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I see used car dollies for sale on craigslist fairly often. They're about as expensive as used flatbed tandem axle trailers, which can also haul cars...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Either rent one from U-Haul or any of the car rental places. Penske, Ryder etc.

OR

GO HERE:
Full time RV'ers classified. You will most likely find one for sale.

You don't have to join the actual Escapees Club to use their forum classified. Just join the forum for free.

1. GO HERE:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/
2. Upper right hand corner click: create an account

3. After you joined go to Forums. free to join.

4. Scroll all the way down the page near the bottom to:
RV MARKETPLACE

5.Post your ad for wanted and/or search under one of these forum topics:
a. RVs, Tows, and Toads for Sale

b. RV Accessories for Sale

c. RVs (And Accessories) Wanted

You should find one there. Good Luck!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You can rent a car dolly from U-Haul by itself.

But, whether the Dodge Caravan will fit and whether the motor home will be able to haul it remains to be seen.

There is lots of information here

U-Haul car dolly requirements.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

69BBC
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold my 2013 Forrest river car dolly for $800 to the dealer when we traded in the Georgetown . Gives you a price point.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-gta-greater-toronto-area/car-dolly/k0l1700272

Check tires, wiring and make sure it has surge brakes as a minimum. Electric brakes are better. We threw in the tow bar and the straps when ours went.