cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using 4wd to slow down

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was reading the last issue of trailer life, the article a couple wrote about looking for a new truck. In the article they said that when going down a step grade they will put their truck in 4wd low and low gear to help slow down. I would like to know if this is common practice. I would have never thought about doing that, is this something that the trucks transmission can handle.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
66 REPLIES 66

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
To get back on track, NO, 4lo is a really foolish idea for going down a steep hill. READ the Owners Manual, and FOLLOW the instructions on when and where to use 4lo and when and where to NOT use it!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Modern pickups do not have either manual , or automatic, hubs. Everything is turning all the time. ( Seems like a big waste to me )The only thing that changes is the shift in the transfer case.

I agree with most of the posters. 4 wheel low is for off road usage. Slow speeds on dirt are fine. I use mine for backing up the hill into my storage shed when parking the TT. But, on the dry pavement at any speed over 5-10 mph is a No No.

The 13 and newer RAM's have "front axle disconnect".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
fireman41 wrote:

Not true my 2013 has full manual hubs. Unless you physically turn in the hubs the front axle will not be engaged.

Is it a Superduty? If so, I think you are mistaken. If you look at the hub dial closely you will see it has AUTO and LOCK positions. You can force them locked, but you cannot force them unlocked.

But I've been wrong before.

Yes it's a Super Duty.
Free and lock are the only two options

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
Nvm

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
Nvm

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
kofire wrote:
In the auto setting they are still not in 4wd. Heck you can lock them and just not change your transfer case to 4wd and it's still not in 4wd. The parts are moving but it won't hurt anything.

You've completely missed the point. I'll just let you read the thread again and try to catch up.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
fireman41 wrote:

Not true my 2013 has full manual hubs. Unless you physically turn in the hubs the front axle will not be engaged.

Is it a Superduty? If so, I think you are mistaken. If you look at the hub dial closely you will see it has AUTO and LOCK positions. You can force them locked, but you cannot force them unlocked.

. In the auto setting they are still not in 4wd. Heck you can lock them and just not change your transfer case to 4wd and it's still not in 4wd. The parts are moving but it won't hurt anything.

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Manual hubs have not been available on a Superduty since at least 2005. Not even with a manual shifter. I know because I would have swapped out my auto hubs a long time ago if they made them. That's where the 2WD/low range modification comes in that I mentioned above. I have not done that mod but it is pretty simple.

Don't know about other brands, but would bet they are similar.

This is not correct. I don't know about brand new trucks but there have been manual unlocking /locking hubs available in fords well after 05.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
4 low with hubs unlocked would work but it would have to be really really steep. Your talking 25 to 30MPH max
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
fireman41 wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
I've never had the need to use the 4 wheel drive to limit my speed down an incline. The trick, for me, is starting downhill at a lower speed.

No offense but you just haven't found a real incline yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

The steepest I drove up/down with my 4000# camper on board was over 13% grade for 1-2 miles on a gravel forest road. Without low range I would have given the brakes far too big of a workout. In low range I let it roll down the hill with occasional braking. I started at a speed of nearly 0 where it started getting steep.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Manual hubs have not been available on a Superduty since at least 2005. Not even with a manual shifter. I know because I would have swapped out my auto hubs a long time ago if they made them. That's where the 2WD/low range modification comes in that I mentioned above. I have not done that mod but it is pretty simple.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Modern pickups do not have either manual , or automatic, hubs. Everything is turning all the time. ( Seems like a big waste to me )The only thing that changes is the shift in the transfer case.

I agree with most of the posters. 4 wheel low is for off road usage. Slow speeds on dirt are fine. I use mine for backing up the hill into my storage shed when parking the TT. But, on the dry pavement at any speed over 5-10 mph is a No No.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My '03 Super Duty has lock on the fly and auto hubs that can be locked manually. I've never tried shifting into low range while in motion. I don't need big repair bills.

My old '76 had a low range so low that I could pull an entire tree trunk w/ extra stump and not stop the truck. I don't have to try those shenanigans anymore and have only used Low Range once, pulling a boat up a very greasy ramp.

I've never had the need to use the 4 wheel drive to limit my speed down an incline. The trick, for me, is starting downhill at a lower speed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel