cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle Weights - Class A with Dinghy

Spyder2U2
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are considering changes in our RV Future. Specifically to Travel more. We are moving from Truck and TT (Toyhauler) to a used Class A (RED) with a Dinghy.
I am having Number Troubles. Or Weight Issues if you like.
GVWR and GCVWR numbers are something that I accustomed to. But, I am having issues with conflicting information on Class A's. Manufacturer Specs list GVWR and GCVWR in their brochures. Some actually list tow rating of the chassis, and the hitches list a different number for the weights allowed. One coach was listed 10000#s towing capacity, yet the difference between the Gross Weight and Combined was only 3500#s. One would have to remove permanent items from the empty coach and drive remotely to approach anywhere near the the maximum rating of the Coach/Toad combination. I do understand the Hitch Ratings stickers. Example "10000#s Max Flat, 7500#s WD and 5000#s WC (500#s Hitch Weight)" Those will not outweigh the other figures.

Example:
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
GVWR 26000
GCVWR 30000
Hitch Rating 10000
UVW not known
Actual Weight not known
Owners F150 4600-5300 (depends on actual weight of truck and gear)
Our Yukon 5700
Our Jeep XK 5500
Box Trailer 7500
Available towing capacity with fully loaded coach is 4000#s
Owner says "It tows just fine" (( eye roll))
Legit and Fine are two very different terms.
This example is apparently common across the Coach and Chassis Manufacturer's spectrum. Anyone have this issue? What did you do?
Since I am new to Class A's.... What the heck?!

Spyder

My apologies to Mods. This could go in either Class A or Dinghy.
6 REPLIES 6

Spyder2U2
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:

Bottom line get a 3000 Allison for heavy toads.

This is the kind of thing I need to know.
Thank you.

The 5 year old Journeys come with the both Allisons. The 34' the 2500 and the 36' the 3000. I really wanted the smaller coach to tow a medium Dinghy. But, everything is a compromise. Going to have to go bigger than I expected. Or... rethink it all again.
All the responses so far have helped. Thanks
If anyone cares to add more; it would be appreciated.
Spyder

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

That statement also applies to RV capacities. The total is always the least amount of any one component.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
What youโ€™ll find is the budget DP will have the Allison 2000 series transmission, which is a key limitation in that the max GCWR is somewhere in the low 30k lb range. It has torque limitations, so itโ€™s usually mated to a 340/700 Cummins. These coaches may have a 10k hitch because itโ€™s a standard component- but no room between the coach weight and the transmission limit to tow more than a few thousand pounds.

A step up is the Allison 3000, with much higher ratings. In smaller coaches itโ€™s with the 360/800 engine, and the same transmission is used for progressively larger engines as coach weight expands.

Our 34โ€™ Newmar has GVWR 33k and GCWR 43k.

Bottom line get a 3000 Allison for heavy toads.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My A says GVWR IS 22,000 and I can pull 5,000 BUT the CVWR is only 26,000

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing the coach UVW, it's not possible to give accurate numbers. However, all those ratings are independent - meaning you could max out on one, and the others would be ok. The 10k towing capacity is just the rating of the hitch

For example, if the coach UVW was 18k, you could put 2k of weight in the coach and you'd be able to pull a 10k trailer/toad. In this case, you'd be at the limit of the GCWR and the hitch rating, and you would be under the GVWR.

If the coach UVW was 24k, you could still put 2k of weight in the coach to get to the GVWR, but you would be limited to a 4k trailer/toad because of the GVWR even though the hitch itself is rated for more.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it can be confusing. letโ€™s see if this helps.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel. actual or rolling weight is determined by loading the MH as you would for a trip. fill the fuel, fresh water and LP tanks. add clothes, food, supplies, etc. don't forget people. find a scale and get individual axle weights at a minimum. compare the actual axle weight to the axle weight rating (GAWR) for that axle. each axle will have a different weight rating. for every pound your mh exceeds its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) you lose a pound of available tow weight. don't guess or assume...know.

- the weight rating of your hitch. the amount of weight your hitch is engineered to carry should be in your owner's manual.

- the weight rating of your tow bar. check the specs of your tow bar if you already have one. if not i'd look for one that is capable of towing 8000-10,000 lbs.

once you know the actual loaded weight of your MH (by axle) then apply the three tests. your max safe towing weight is the lesser of the three tests.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle