cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Venting Propane tank

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Had a strong gas odor out by the 2 30G gas tanks yesterday. Pulled off the cover and sprayed down all the connections with soapy water looking for a leak. When I did so the pressure vent at the back of one of the valves started to discharge for maybe 10 seconds. I weighed the tank that discharged and it still shows full, the selector is pointing to the non discharging bottle. Other then that no leaks.

This morning I can not detect any odor.

Yesterday was sunny and close to 90, this am it's cloudy and 50.

Could it just be an issue of a full tank heating up and going over pressure?

I'm not using the trailer for a couple weeks so I can keep an eye one it, I'd be pretty nervous if we were in it.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA
13 REPLIES 13

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
naturist wrote:
There are portable propane tanks like the 20 pounders people use for gas grills that come in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, and 100 lb sizes. THOSE should NEVER be stored inside for the very reason this thread exists. There are also permanently mounted (usually horizontal) propane tanks on some of the bigger RVs as well as on some trucks. The permanent-mount jobs have a vent that discharges outside the rig, even though the tank itself is mounted inside.

IF they are 'portable' they are 'cylinders' (not tanks) and under DOT
If they are permanently mounted they are 'tanks' ASME
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Are we meaning propane tanks that are permanently mounted under a vehicle (which can/do vent), or propane cylinders (which are vented, but are portable)?

The propane cylinders I see in fifth wheels and motor homes almost always have venting, especially on the bottom (as propane is heavier than air.)
I had a neighbor next to me in the storage facility who's just filled tank vented and the spring shattered, venting the entire (at least) 40G tank out FAST. Conditions couldn't be worse... warm day and dead air. And there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clay L wrote:
The vent pressure of most LP tanks is 250 psi.
I found a chart that shows that propane at 80 F will have a pressure of 140 psi. Using the ideal gas law I found that the temp would have to go to 500 F before the tank pressure reached 250 psi. That seemed high and even though the calculation is simple I used a couple of on-line calculators and got the same answer.

The chart is HERE and one of the calculators I used is HERE

It doesn't appear that an enclosed compartment, truck or car interior is going to get hot enough to cause venting.

The temperature is actually about 125 F to reach 250 psi. You need to calculate the vapor pressure of propane.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
It happened to me once before the new type tank valves we have now. Had them filled near home, went on a trip. Higher elevation, hot day, sun hitting the tanks. Tanks vented. I figured all of the above plus possible overfill by the guy filling them - overfilling is less likely now.

Flip the regulator so it uses some of the propane from the tank that vented.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
The vent pressure of most LP tanks is 250 psi.
I found a chart that shows that propane at 80 F will have a pressure of 140 psi. Using the ideal gas law I found that the temp would have to go to 500 F before the tank pressure reached 250 psi. That seemed high and even though the calculation is simple I used a couple of on-line calculators and got the same answer.

The chart is HERE and one of the calculators I used is HERE

It doesn't appear that an enclosed compartment, truck or car interior is going to get hot enough to cause venting.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
There are portable propane tanks like the 20 pounders people use for gas grills that come in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, and 100 lb sizes. THOSE should NEVER be stored inside for the very reason this thread exists. There are also permanently mounted (usually horizontal) propane tanks on some of the bigger RVs as well as on some trucks. The permanent-mount jobs have a vent that discharges outside the rig, even though the tank itself is mounted inside.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Are we meaning propane tanks that are permanently mounted under a vehicle (which can/do vent), or propane cylinders (which are vented, but are portable)?

The propane cylinders I see in fifth wheels and motor homes almost always have venting, especially on the bottom (as propane is heavier than air.)

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
TenOC wrote:
That is why you should NEVER store a propane tank indoors.
So all those fifth wheels and motor homes running around with propane tanks are doomed?

Both our mh's had the tank in an area that had a door but no floor. While closed not really indoors.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
TenOC wrote:
So all those fifth wheels and motor homes running around with propane tanks are doomed?

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Had pretty much the exact same thing happen .... Got our tank filled when it was cool, then it got hot and the relief valve started to leak. I just turned on the furnace and all the burners. This allowed enough of the propane to release and stop the relief valve from spewing.

Great lesson on why to never store propane tanks inside, as TenOC pointed out.
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
yep. the relief valve worked correctly. it did what it was supposed to do.