cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

volunteer visitor center

golfoh1
Explorer
Explorer
anyone ever volunteer visitor center work at custer state park S.D.? if so what are the campsite locations like?
11 REPLIES 11

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We hosted in CSP two summers. The help around the Visitors Center and non-CG volunteers stay at a 'CG' and dorm area across the ridge behind the Game Lodge CG and Lodge. This would be the preferable location for that area. There is another small employee CG off to the south just past the General Store. We were there for a few days waiting for our CG to open for the season. Backed up against the base of a mountain, there was no satellite signal due to the mountain blocking the signal. They called it Sun City but there was very little. In-official name was Sin City.
I think the Legion Lake fire is more like 58K acres. It got out of the park boundaries and into private land down on 79 and also into Wind Cave NP. Lost a lot of timber in the park and much acreage in the grassy areas inside the Game Loop and south of it as well.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

golfoh1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info. I found out that about 35000 acres burned and fire was 95% under control. no info. on camp sites. they are hoping for snow that will help the park.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
There is three dedicated campgrounds for volunteers in the park. One is Volunteer Village just south of the Game Lodge Campground on the Wildlife Loop, second is Sun City in the Game Lodge area about 250 yards west of the Coolidge General Store and the third one is a new one July or August of this year and is located near the old STARR Academy at the end of the Badger Clark road, its name has been changed a couple of times so not sure of the name now, I will call it the new one for now. Then there is a few sites within the public campgrounds for the hosts and other personnel. All have sewer, electric 30/50 amp and water. most will have the ability to hit a satellite for TV but may be difficult in the Sun City area. A lot have the ability to get DSL from Mt Rushmore Telephone Co but not all like the new one but cell service there is very good. But cell service in some areas is not good or not at all but ATT and Verizion are the carriers that will work in the park where there is a signal. All are more or less level and will work for a MH but I have had to use ramps before (6 inch or less) to get the front level and not to high. All in all the campsites are good and do work for most.

All this said but not sure how the fire there has impacted the campsites as the fire did burn around or up to the three big ones. I know that the sites are still there but not sure if any of the infrastructure was damaged.
JimR

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Check the weather temps for the months you are considering..

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it's not gotten a lot of air time but there's currently a huge wildfire burning in the park. so far more than half the park in terms of acres has burned and when I last checked the fire was 90% contained. so far no human deaths and no buildings have been destroyed. the bison herd seems intact...at least all of the bison found have been alive. three of the park's famous burros are missing and feared dead.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask 3oaks. He believes the whole park burned.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
dalenoel wrote:
Do you mean Custer State Park in Michigan?

Looks like a nice park to visit.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to volunteer at Custer once but no openings. Went through the campground in the park closest to Custer City (not sure if there is more than one CG) and liked it. Wish I could have gotten a volunteer gig.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have camped there many times these last several years. Each campground has a full hookup site in the campground.
for other workers, there is a big rv camping area on the southeast corner of the park, around the corner to the north, and behind the Game Lodge campground. We just drove through it one day to check it out. It looked ok to us.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

golfoh1
Explorer
Explorer
South Dakota, thanks corrected that

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you mean Custer State Park in Michigan?
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi