cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

w/d bars noise suppresion

stratcat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a w/d hitch on my trailer/truck. When towing the noise when turning is driving the better half batty, is there any way to quiet the noise from the bars sliding against metal? Have tried some grease on the metal to metal contact areas, no help.

Is there a way on installing a Teflon base for the metal bars to slide on. Any help appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

Dave_Mck
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing your truck type or anything I have a suggestion. My hitch used to make a ton of noise, popping, screeching, squeaking, you name it. With my set up I had to really crank the bars up hard only leaving 4 links showing. This put a lot of pressure on the hitch causing it to make all the noise. I added a set of airbags and now hook my chains on the 6th link. Since I did that no more noise. Yesterday and today I towed the trailer. I went to pick it up and forgot to inflate my bags before I left the house. Since I didn't have air in I cranked up the bars back to only 4 links showing and all the noise was back. Again not knowing how you are set up, if you add airbags you may be able to back off on your chains some and eliminate the noise. This is my personal experiance, the loud noise stopped after I went to 6 links. I know people are against air bags and say they are for decoration only and don't do anything. My experiance with them has been great.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed we need to know the brand and style. If you've got the standard, old fashioned Weight Distributor hitch with bars and chains, there's not much you can do. I towed with one for nearly 9 years and yes, they do "snap, crackle, and pop" from time to time. If you've got the genuine Equalizer Brand, there are a few things you can do to mitigate the noise. Those are the only two styles of hitches I have personal experience with so I can't comment on others.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If you will post the Brand, type, and size of the hitch we may be able to help. Otherwise you will get nothing but WAG's.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
i'll echo Francesca's point:

what brand of WDH are you talking about?:h

i'd assume an Equal-i-zer but there are Equal-i-zer clones by other companies and maybe it's not an Equal-i-zer-type of WDH.
if it is, Dick B. already suggested the nylon Bracket Jackets that Progress Mfg, Inc. sells for the EQ.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

stratcat
Explorer
Explorer
I ve found little to no noise driving on turns it is noisy. It is metal to metal on the saddles.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
There are a couple hitches that don't have that noise.

Blue Ox Swaypro and Andersen WD hitch

The Blue Ox has an enclosed hitch head, with bars that snap in. The moving parts are internal. The grease is inserted with a grease gun.

The Andersen has no bars at all. The anti sway, is brake material inside the ball shank and there is nothing to grease. Very quiet.

They are great hitches, but with their high cost, I'll live with a little noise.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
memgrove wrote:
My grandfather always said "If that hitch aint squealing, that hitch aint working" I was told again today at the hitch and trailer brake shop "if you dont hear it its not working" So I would tell her that.

I have the Husky round bar type. The noisiest portion is the sway controller, otherwise tight turns will cause some noise, otherwise normal driving yields no noise.

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
My grandfather always said "If that hitch aint squealing, that hitch aint working" I was told again today at the hitch and trailer brake shop "if you dont hear it its not working" So I would tell her that.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing the brand/type:

If there's a friction-type sway controller involved, the noise may be related to wearing down of the pads, resulting in metal-on-metal noise. Those pads are usually replaceable.

Per lubrication:
You probably already know, but it seems worth mentioning that one must NEVER put any sort of lubrication on the sliding/braking surface of a simple friction sway bar.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Equal-i-zer hitch has some nylon jackets that fit on the L-shaped brackets that help the noise situation BUT does not totally eliminate it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple hitches that don't have that noise.

Blue Ox Swaypro and Andersen WD hitch

The Blue Ox has an enclosed hitch head, with bars that snap in. The moving parts are internal. The grease is inserted with a grease gun.

The Andersen has no bars at all. The anti sway, is brake material inside the ball shank and there is nothing to grease. Very quiet.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

NashTT
Explorer
Explorer
About all you can do is clean and grease. If that doesn't help you've done about all you can.
"The opposite of Progress is Congress"
2013 Nash 23F
2008 Doge Big Horn Hemi Quad Cab 3.92
Reese 1000 bars-Prodigy Brake control
Jill, the crazy Rat Terrier always along

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
none that I know of. get her a set of ear muffs at harbor frieght