cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water freeze risk?

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking of filling my water tank on my 1989 Terry Resort though I probably won't end up camping for a few weeks. I had winterized the trailer so all the lines are currently clear. The low temps in my area for the next four days are 32, 29, 29, then 36. Would I risk damage by freezing water, or would the likelihood of such a large volume of water freezing at that temperature be unlikely?

I figure at 32 degrees, I'd be fine if I was camping. I'm not sure though if the trailer isn't being used.
9 REPLIES 9

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on how the plumbing is run under your camper, you may risk freezing your water lines before you freeze the tanks. My TT is not a winter camper. The water lines run under the camper and would likely freeze way before the tanks. When camping in freezing weather, we drain all of the water from the fresh tank. We still use the black tank but flush the toilet with warm water from a jug instead of normal flushing. We have never had a problem with freezing the drain valves or the waste tank.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Why fill your water tank a few weeks before you leave? Fill before you go, no problem, no worry.

Pssst... Coronavirus... ๐Ÿ˜‰

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
TO Some extent it depends on how well insulated the tanks are both Tank to outside and Tank to inside. On my Class A I have a 3-sensor remote Thermometer (4 total the the is "local" or room temp)
Sensor 1 is inside the fridge
Sensor 2 is attached to the propane tank.. out of the sun but well ventelated
Sensor 3 is on top of the fresh water tank.

In cold weather since as you describe 3 is 5-10 degrees above 2.. all night long.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Why fill your water tank a few weeks before you leave? Fill before you go, no problem, no worry.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I forgot to dump the grey tank which was close to half full.
It remained that way well into the winter and much colder temps than you mentioned....froze but never busted.

I'm guessing half full left room for expansion.

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks@ Thst exactly what I am thinking. I just want to be sure. I also figure there won't be any water in the lines until I run the pump and I'd assume water freezing in the lines would be my biggest worry. I'd expect even if a little water freexes in the tank, it have to freeze fairly solid to damage the tank?

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
You should not have a problem. Takes many hours of below freezing to create problems and most of those problems are associated with toilet valves which are fragile not the FW tank. I live in Portland and blow out my water lines during winter but usually maintain water in FW tank for emergency purposes ... never had a problem.
Kevin

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't fill your tank until you are ready to use it.
A full water tank is a large mass which will not freeze until well below freezing for an extended period.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but that isn't really "freezing" weather.
The dealer told me they don't worry unless the forecast calls for 10 bellow freezing for three days.
Your trailer hold enough heat to slow down the freezing.

Many will argue this so it comes down to your pucker factor.