cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wax on...wax off

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Got a brand new fiberglass sided TT. It's a Viewfinder Signature from Cruiser RV. I've had it about 3 months and want to wax it before the season starts to protect if from the summer sun. Any recommendations on what products to use? I'll probably use an orbital buffer to apply and want something that is easy on, easy off.
11 REPLIES 11

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I buy Shurhold on Amazon by the gallon. It lasts a long time...easy to put on and easy to remove. Doesn't leave a residue like many waxes do. Lasts a long time.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be spraying on a coat or two of Parfe liquid wax, once the weather warms.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to call the producer of your paint. Your RV manufacturer can tell you who it is. They will help you put together a program that is best for your clear coat. I was told to put on a base coat of McGuire Gold which can be purchased at Walmart. That is to be followed up with a coat of Protectal once a year. It is extremely easy to use. Spray it on, lightly rub on with a clean cloth and wipe off while wet. I did three sides of mine today. It produces a deep shine.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
AmericalVette wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I use Nu Finish. I believe that it holds up better than most. On a new fiberglass trailer, it will apply and polish off real easy. I wouldn't use it on a weathered finish, there are products that do a better job of restoration.

Is Nu Finish safe for decals/graphics?

I've used it on mine for years and saw no effect on decals.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I use Nu Finish. I believe that it holds up better than most. On a new fiberglass trailer, it will apply and polish off real easy. I wouldn't use it on a weathered finish, there are products that do a better job of restoration.

Is Nu Finish safe for decals/graphics?
Times fun when you're having flies!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might consider this. Before we started full-timing, where I parked our rig at our house, one side was protected from the afternoon sun. Upon returning from a trip, I would wash the entire rig, then wax the side that was to be exposed to the morning sun. I would put the wax on & leave it on. When we got ready to take her on the next trip, I would wash the entire unit, thereby removing said wax. Upon return, I would do the same, but with the other side now facing sun exposure. When we sold the rig, she was 12 years old. Looked brand new, even after all those years in the So Cal sun.

SH
Explorer
Explorer
All the products discussed are great. I have used most of them at least on one occasion. Last summer I tried SeaPower and had quite good results.

2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend a detail service that will do it for you. LOL. Your body will thank you later for it.

On a serious note, I like the Collinite, I used to use it on my boats and it works well, but if you use it read the instructions you don't let it dry like other waxes. But, I've bought some McGuire's due to all the positive comments on here to try this year.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
As donn recommended, Meguiars #50 cleaner/wax in the blue bottle is also my go to wax. But I am leaning toward their Flapship cleaner/wax and will try it as soon as our weather breaks. Cost a bit more but has improved ingredients per their web site. It can be found at reasonable prices on Amazon. And an orbital buffer makes it all easy and possible!
Whatever you decide, use a wax made for fiberglass, not just an auto wax. It will result in a better finish.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
McGuires RV/Marine in the blue bottles, or my current favorite, Collinite Fleetwax. Both do really well with a low speed orbital buffer.