cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weber Q200 Trash?

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a Weber Q200 that I bought and used for two years while we had our camper. It worked great when we did use it but we sold our whole camping rig in 2011. Last summer I tried using it at home and it wouldn't heat up. So I finally called Weber and ordered a Gas Regulator Valve a couple weeks ago to hopefully use it this summer at home. So after waiting a week and a half I call them and they said it's in stock but they couldn't answer me when it would ship or if it would ever ship so I cancelled my order. Apparently this part is on some sort of shortage because I checked online at a couple of places and it's out of stock. So now it's summer and I'm stuck without a grill. I'm not exactly thrilled about Weber customer service nor the fact that it stopped working after just two years of occasional use. So now if I want to grill I'm stuck with buying a new one but not a Weber. Is my Q200 worth saving? It's taking up room in my garage and I have a cart for it and cover and hose so it's kind of a waste to toss it but it's just a very bulky paper weight with no parts availability. Sorry for my rant but I'm a little more than pissed here. Any thoughts???

On another note, can someone recommend a decent grill for home besides Weber? Thanks.
New Mexico
2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4
50 REPLIES 50

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
The OEM part is a $100. So you be the judge of the quality of a $35 part.

What's the warranty on those? One year I suppose.

Everything from Weber including their BBQ's is over priced so maybe it really is or should be only a $35 part
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Fredzo
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
have not seen the regulator on the Webber that you have but there are many many BBQ places out there.. Every city has a fireplace and BBQ store.. and odds of them having what you need are very very high.

And the prices at the specialty store are as high as the odds!
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
2005 Liberty Renegade Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar, Brake Buddy
Retired on Jan 1, 2010!!!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
have not seen the regulator on the Webber that you have but there are many many BBQ places out there.. Every city has a fireplace and BBQ store.. and odds of them having what you need are very very high.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Whiten
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I can find is it set at higher psi than stock bbq regulator. I just use the valve to cut it down for cooking. I looked up the one they make for grills, (bayou classic regulator M5lph) it only puts out 1 psi.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-M5LPH-Stainless-Regulator/dp/B000KKNZKC/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden...

Whiten
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
Whiten wrote:
I replaced my regulators twice, the last time I went to lowes and got this

http://www.lowes.com/pd_83441-95532-M5HPR-1_0__?productId=3318634&Ntt=propane+tank+regulators+with+h...

works very well, I was at Hunting Island when 2nd stock one went out. Its cheaper and any Lowes has it in stock.
OK, I found the last two is stock at my Lowes and bought them both (I have two Webers).

BUT .... !!

In bold letters on the front of the box it says "DO NOT USE ON GAS GRILLS (For use with outdoor single burners cookers and fryers ONLY!)"

There is no explanation as to why. My question now is should I use them? The disclaimer has me a little nervous, but since you've already tried it can you tell us anything you noticed we should be concerned about?

I REALLY want to do this if it works. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've been using this for a while now with no problems. I will have to research more, I didn't see the warning.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Unusual for the Weber Q. My 10 year old Q still works like new. Would buy another one for sure, but don't see this one not lasting another 10 years.

If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Unusual for the Weber Q. My 10 year old Q still works like new. Would buy another one for sure, but don't see this one not lasting another 10 years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
The fryer regulator may be set for a higher pressure than is customary for BBQ grills.

I would have to agree with you on that. The description says its a high output and is set at 10 PSI. I don't believe a grill normally uses that much pressure.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The fryer regulator may be set for a higher pressure than is customary for BBQ grills.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Whiten wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_83441-95532-M5HPR-1_0__?productId=3318634&Ntt=propane+tank+regulators+with+h...

works very well, I was at Hunting Island when 2nd stock one went out. Its cheaper and any Lowes has it in stock.
OK, I found the last two is stock at my Lowes and bought them both (I have two Webers).

BUT .... !!

In bold letters on the front of the box it says "DO NOT USE ON GAS GRILLS (For use with outdoor single burners cookers and fryers ONLY!)"

There is no explanation as to why. My question now is should I use them? The disclaimer has me a little nervous, but since you've already tried it can you tell us anything you noticed we should be concerned about?

I REALLY want to do this if it works. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

rvit
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Q200s, one of them for 7 years, and love them both. Will never buy anything else. Never had a problem until this week when the older one wouldn't light. Turned out to be the supply hose which was only a couple of years old.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
I have had problems getting fuel one time on my 200. My dad did also. We run 20# tanks on our at the house. The supply hoses were what plugged up and went bad on ours.

Try hooking up a 1# tank to yours if you do not use them already and see if it works that way. If it does, then get a new hose. If it does not work, get a new regulator.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
krazymatt wrote:
Whiten wrote:

Interesting you post this as I went to Lowes yesterday and bought this very regulator. It required a brass coupling for a couple bucks to make it work but wow did that grill fire up like it never has!-=- as SCV Jeff had posted earlier on this post! Weber has a major issue with that******factory regulator that requires the certain protocol in order not to set the thing into limp mode. This new regulator works awesome and has a flow adjustment so you can fine tune your flame to exactly what you need. It doesn't have a provision for the disposable tank but that's fine by me. I always used my regular tank anyhow. Thanks for all the info!

While at Lowes we also purchased a new Broil King Baron 4 burner grill for the home so we're all set on grills for now. I assembled it yesterday and it is a very solid grill for the money.
Krazymatt ... do you happen to know the thread sizes of the union? I think I'll head to Lowes and grab one of these things too.

Corkey, I believe it was a 1/8" Brass Coupling found in the plumbing section where the brass fittings are.
New Mexico
2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4

Whiten
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot about the adapters, just take you old regulator with you. I'm glad I can help someone out.