cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weekend vs Longer Stay RV packing

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our first TT we lived in Michigan, DH was self employed and I homeschooled our girls. In the winter we parked it at an RV Resort in Claremont, FL and at least once a month we would drive the 18ish hours down and stay for a month. The Snowbirds that stayed full-time for the winter were wonderful about watching it for us and keeping the bug spray around the tires.

We had all the accessories: awning lights, big outdoor carpet, BBQ grill with all the stuff that goes with it, outdoor decor, etc. etc.

We sold it in 2005 and just got another one but we will be using it for driving from CA to MI and back with only a night or two at each campground, and then only for long weekends.

Do you find you stock your RV different for shorter trips?
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
12 REPLIES 12

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
All of our gear stays in the trailer. Food and meds are removed unless we will be back out in a week or so. It gets too hot to leave those things for long.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Community Alumni
Not applicable
No, we stock the rv the same way all the time, actually it is stocked so as we can just unplug and go.

The only difference might be in the amount of clothes we carry when we're away for the winter but dry goods, bathroom essentials etc... are always in the rv throughout our camping season.

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:
Do you keep non perishable food in the RV between trips?

We don't because the RV gets hot and we don't leave the A/C on when it's sitting there in the driveway awaiting it's next camp-out or trip. Canned food keeps best in a cool dry place, not a hot humid situation.

It's been awhile and it was in MI and FL where humidity may have played a part but it seems it didn't hold up well. However, I'm a bit lazy and don't want to haul more than I have to back and forth. If I have some cans of soup left are they okay in the CA heat for a few weeks?

We bite the bullet and carry all food back into the house.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
For medicine/first aid kit... I have a small plastic tote with handle in lid.. I carry it to TT when I am traveling and leave in house when home. It keeps everything together and convenient. My grown kids know where the box belongs, and so in an emergency/quick need situation it is easily accessible for anyone.

As far as food, I leave canned foods in pantry over the year, try to change out from house periodically. I don't leave much in the way of dry goods in TT as I think they are more likely to attract critters and be affected by heat and moisture. I only leave the dry goods if I know I will be going again within a few weeks.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:

Do you find you stock your RV different for shorter trips?

Of course. For short trips or less than a week at a CG we don't stock as much food, clothing or extra linens as we do if staying 2 weeks. We "Go Lightly". When we head for FL to snowbird for 3 months we take more clothing, bedding, extra blankets etc. Not extra food as we buy that when we get there. We also bring the Satellite dish since many places don't have cable. And we bring the wireless PC setup and cell phones.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful posts...you guys are awesome!

I think I will scale back on the extras because I agree that we probably aren't going to want to spend time setting them all up just to take them down a day or two later.

As for OTC medicine, ours doesn't have a medicine cabinet only a mirror, so I think I'll put them in a bag that's easy to take in and out. Temps reaching 100 degrees or more can't be good for them!

I'll probably leave the "delicates," bathing suits, shorts and t-shirts in for the summer since we'll be using it at least once a month but take them out at the end of the season.

We did remove the big heavy dining table that is used for making the second bed since it's only the two of us for the cross country trip. It tends to be in the way in front of the couch (it isn't the typical two benches facing each other with the table between, it's more like a U shape) and replaced it with a couple nice TV Trays and we have a folding table. I'm thinking we'll eat outside more than inside and the table would only get used for when I'm using my laptop. The TV tray will work for that just fine. When we need extra sleeping area for future trips we can always put the table back in.

Two weeks and we're off!

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
In a word, yes. After an almost 2 year stint on the road, I've come to the conclusion that the answer should be no. All that stuff I packed for our journey? Didn't really need it. All those clothes? Didn't use 'em. All the outdoor rv stuff (except for chairs and grill)? Used once or twice.

Leaving clothes, etc in the rv is great if you are going to be using it consistently throughout the year. There is something about wearing clothes that have essentially been in storage for 3 months or longer that doesn't appeal to me. If I did leave them, I'd run them through the dryer before using.

We never leave food. Just kitchen stuff. Taking out the bathroom medicine cabinets allows me to sort through and pare down what's in there. We leave bed linens - just run them through a cycle in the dryer also before using again.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel we do not have grandchildren with us so Rubbermaid containers go on the bunks. If the entire trip was to be two-three day stops the bookcase would come out to be left at home.
Bunkroom door could remain closed so no one would see how our possessions that reproduced.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We always keep our tt stocked with personal items and non-perishables, both replenished as needed. Short trip or long, we add perishables and condiments when we start out. On longer trips we replenish on the road. This saves us a lot of time packing for a trip; 2 days or 2 months only takes 15 or 20 minutes. And that is mostly camera and hiking gear.

One thing you will figure out, when you're moving every day or two, is that a lot of the outside stuff (awning lights, rug, outdoor decor, etc.) is unnecessary and time consuming. Breaking down and setting up all that stuff every day gets tiresome. From pulling into our spot to sitting down and having a beer, we spend 15 minutes setting up. That includes unhooking, leveling, slide outs, and making sure everything is working and put away. We carry three folding chairs, a side table, and our bikes for outdoor gear.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding your question about food - cans left in the trailer. I leave over the counter meds, bathroom is equipped minus the electric shaver; a complete first aide kit with various AB creams in the trailer at all times.
Regarding the galley, we live in a rural Redwood tree area whereby I do not want to attract mice. So I keep a small amount of flour, sugar, teas in sealed plastic containers. I also keep oils, vinegars in the trailer at all times. I change out these items every Jan.
Regarding canned goods, unfortunately I do not leave canned items, I pack the tuna, soup, chili when we go depending on the menu I have planned.
I have encountered mice twice in 10 years. The first time we were camping in eastern CA and brought home the little devil...and one mouse here at home ate the plastic top to the instant coffee (he did not make a home in our TT). Hope this helps.
West Beachhouse

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
Do you keep non perishable food in the RV between trips? It's been awhile and it was in MI and FL where humidity may have played a part but it seems it didn't hold up well. However, I'm a bit lazy and don't want to haul more than I have to back and forth. If I have some cans of soup left are they okay in the CA heat for a few weeks?

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new trailer. We too live in CA and I keep the trailer packed at all times with our personal items, clothes etc. year round adding minor items dependent upon the weather. Regarding short trips and food I pack from home. Road trips I purchase food on the road (condiments from home).
Enjoy your trip.
West Beachhouse