cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight distribution / anti-sway hitch recommendations

BlunderLust
Explorer
Explorer
I've found some great travel trailer models thanks to the most helpful folks here. To tow the trailer I think I'll need weight distribution and anti-sway hitch add-ons. A trailer I'm considering is the Nash 17K with a weight of 4400 lbs and NCC of 2600 lbs. My truck is a 2015 Ford F150 SuperCab 3.5L EcoBoost 4x2 145" Wb 3.55 axle ratio. Ford states this version of the F150 has a max trailer weight of 12,100 pounds so I should be OK with the weight even with a maxed out NCC and Ford has overstated the actual tow capacity.

For such a truck/trailer combination is there a specific brand/model of weight distribution / anti-sway hitch which is recommended? Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Reese SC system! Very similar to the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system, by Reese uses a brake pad material for friction that the bars ride on. From what it sounds like from reviews it is a little quieter than the Equal-I-Zer system. The Reese hitch head has a little more fine tune adjustability as well...

Good luck!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This is going to be my next WD setup and since fairly new...will take time for
info to come back. So far, most are very positive

I'd not jack knife while backing up...that will bend one of these spring bars

That is part of how it works...pushing back on the trailer getting it back in
line with the TV...but while backing up, you might want to jack knife the setup
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BlunderLust
Explorer
Explorer
I reviewed videos on the Husky Center Line, Equal-i-zer, BlueOx SwayPro, Anderson No Sway, and Reese Straight Line, and Reese Dual Cam options. I'm passing on the Dual Cam option due to clearance. Anderson seems to have the best clearance but reconnecting the hitch requires the ratcheting down of the red springs. It almost seems like a reinstall every time you connect it as I believe the spring tension dictates the weight distribution on the axles (remeasuring the height of the front/rear fenders). Anderson also has the extra maintenance of the brake pad insert and the triangle plate looks like it could be bent fairly easily. Equal-i-zer connect/disconnect looks nice and simple but it seems to be quite noisy. BlueOx appears to have a clearance similar to the Equal-i-zer, no grease on the bars, and supposedly very little noise. Then there is the Husky Center Line which looks similar to the Equal-i-zer but includes a more advanced sway control system and according to Husky is quieter than friction based sway control. Though Husky seems to have the best features no one is recommending it so BlueOx might be the safe bet. Thanks!

BlunderLust
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:
I'm curious about your truck's payload. Typically, the rating limit reached first is not the "towing limit", but is the "hauling limit". The tongue weight of a 12,100 lb. trailer (1200-1800 lbs.) combined with the weight of the passengers and cargo in the truck would exceed the chassis weight rating (GVWR) or rear axle weight rating (REAR GAWR) of most F150 pickups.

Your proposed 4400 "brochure weight" camper will likely be 6000 lbs. with options, propane, batteries, water, food, tools, outdoor chairs, etc. The tongue weight will likely be in the 720-900 lb. range.

I'm not looking at the vehicle right now but as I recall the cargo capacity is a bit over 2,100 pounds - 2,179 pounds comes to mind.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
.....snip.....

I bet I see 10-1 ratio out there. 10 standard to 1 integrated...just my casual observations.

Jeremiah

I suspect Jeremiah is pretty close to right on that. I look all the time both in campgrounds and on the road, and most seem to run a basic standard WD hitch with added on sway bars. Must work for most folks.

I will say I continue to be happy with my BlueOx swaypro. Coming up on 30K miles towing with it, and it works as advertised.

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious about your truck's payload. Typically, the rating limit reached first is not the "towing limit", but is the "hauling limit". The tongue weight of a 12,100 lb. trailer (1200-1800 lbs.) combined with the weight of the passengers and cargo in the truck would exceed the chassis weight rating (GVWR) or rear axle weight rating (REAR GAWR) of most F150 pickups.

Your proposed 4400 "brochure weight" camper will likely be 6000 lbs. with options, propane, batteries, water, food, tools, outdoor chairs, etc. The tongue weight will likely be in the 720-900 lb. range.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Community Alumni
Not applicable
My Blue Ox performs very well. It's clean, quiet, no fiddly adjustments, and does a great job of controlling sway. The Andersen and the Reese Straight Line are good alternatives.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Blue Ox and love it. Very quiet and clean.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

BlunderLust
Explorer
Explorer
I almost purchased a trailer which included the Equal-i-zer system and from what I read and watched on YouTube it looked pretty good and LOUD. I'll definitely be checking out those Blueox SwayPro and Resse Straight Line / Dual Cam options. Thanks everyone.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will be our 4th season with the Reese dual cam (with trunnion bars) and I really like it a lot. It took a full season of tweeking it to get it working the way I wanted. Besides the WDH, we installed Bilstein shocks on the truck and shocks on the trailer and together with the Reese DC, works great. No sway or handling issues anymore.

I have been looking and looking while at CGs for someone else with the same dual cam WDH and have only seen one. Unless you were to use RV forums, you likely wouldn't know about the different WDH brands and options. Many will just use what a dealer says is good.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
The percentage of of people with the 4-pt Equal-i-zer, Reese Straight Line, and Blueox Swaypro is far higher than the standard WDH with friction bars. That bumps cost from about $300 to $500.

Only on RV.net...most TT's are towed with standard WD hitches and add on friction sway control still.

I bet I see 10-1 ratio out there. 10 standard to 1 integrated...just my casual observations.

I've ran dual cam before and found it to be okay...a bit finicky... Towed no better or worse than my standard WD hitch with TWO friction sway bars. I think using two is key for most trailers....

I like the flexibility to add remove the sway bars if the conditions change. You can't take integrated sway control off on most of the fancy hitches. Not a big deal until you are in icy or loose roadways.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
skiles wrote:
My vote would be for the only one I have any experience with, the Equalizer. I feel very comfortable towing. I seem to read good things about the Blue Ox and Anderson as well.

Ditto.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
The percentage of of people with the 4-pt Equal-i-zer, Reese Straight Line, and Blueox Swaypro is far higher than the standard WDH with friction bars. That bumps cost from about $300 to $500.

Here in Canada where a conventional chain style round bar WD hitch and separate friction sway bar costs in the neighbourhood of $500 more sophisticated systems like the Equal-i-zer and Blue Ox that include sway control as a function of it's design and don't require use of a separate sway bar are twice that in cost. While some will ante up for such an expensive WD system it's fair to say that the majority opt for the less expensive system because despite some obvious disadvantages they still can get the job done.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)