cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Install Question! Help!

mden3
Explorer
Explorer
Im trying to add a weight distribution system to my trailer and it seems that the mounts for the trailer are going to be right where the small channel is that they ran the wires in. Therefore it won't sit flush it seems on the trailer. Any recommendations how I can do this properly?

I have a pic here so you can see what I mean. I don't want to purchase the system if this will be in the way.
https://ibb.co/8P8PNM9

Moderator edit to insert picture.

5 REPLIES 5

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
It looks to me like the A frame is doubled on at least one side.
If the side with the wires is the same as the other side and the snap up brackets will fit over the A frame, then I see no problem mounting the hitch snap up brackets. If the doubled sides are just a smaller tube, then I would make up a "filler" piece with metal or hardwood and put it below the wire tube. This should give enough surface for the brackets to hold on to. You might have to get a bit creative here but should be able to make something work. :B

They may work without doing any creative work also. The inner portion of the snap up brackets just hooks over the top with a small tab and there is a long bolt that snugs up lightly to the frame to keep it from sliding back and forth from the chain pull while turning.

After looking at your picture some more, I think the above is the case. I suspect a normal WD hitch will work just fine with your trailer without any modifications at all as long as the brackets will fit over the A frame. If the A frame is too wide, I would notch the inner tube to fit the bracket as mentioned in a post above.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Only thing i can think of is weld them( if thats allowed for the wdh ) or cut off the wire tube and reattach it, or cut a slot on the wire tube. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mden3
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Is that a tent trailer? Why would you need a WDH unless you're towing it with an a low capacity vehicle.

This is a 20ft car trailer (probably weighs around 2500lbs) loading with 2 Polaris rzr.

Tow vehicle is a Lincoln Navigator (8k towing capacity) and it sags quite a bit so I wanted to add the weight distribution set up.

Appreciate any feedback on how to add the mounts to that frame rail.

Thanks !

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, what trailor are you towing ( weight of it has breaks etc) and what are you towing it with? No battery or propane tanks? But it is a solid frame? Is the box a tiny battery for the breaks?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a tent trailer? Why would you need a WDH unless you're towing it with an a low capacity vehicle.