cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weird question re: emergency procedures while driving

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Out of my entire family, I am the only one that drives. DW and, for now, DD do not have driver's licenses, nor do they have any desire to obtain.

DW finds it strange that, every once in a while, I want to go through what they would need to do in the event that, heaven forbid, 'something' happens to me while we're rolling down the highway (take control of the wheel, shifter into neutral, etc.).

Does (or would) anyone else do this if they're in the same scenario? To me, it seems like, if I don't go through this with them, they would have no idea what to do if something unfortunate happens since they have never driven.
1999 Itasca Sunrise
37 REPLIES 37

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, let me tell you the little womans side of it. I dont drive the MOHO. I am a good driver. But, everytime I drive and my husband is always complaining. I figure that thing is 40 ft diesel towing a GMC acadia. He makes me so nervous that Just in the car with me driving I want to just park that thing and get out and run away. So, if you are "one of those" , get a life. You are getting exactly what you have earned.

Unfortunately many people (I won't just say men) don't recognize themselves as being like that.

A suggestion: One of the most nerve-racking situations for anyone is having a spouse or parent teach them something. Take advantage of any truck/cdl/mh driving classes that might be available. For many having the confidence prior to getting behind the wheel with a significant other in the passenger seat makes all the difference.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has driven the suburban and then the Excursion a couple of times when we had our pop/ups and travel trailers, including one time when I passed out, but got it off the road safely first, and then she got us home.
She refuses to drive the motorhome...... We've had it 6 years now and doesn't even like to sit behind the wheel when it's running. She will sit there to do the light test, but I have to turn the key to acc. I am going to try to get her to try to drive it in an empty parking lot one day soon and hope for the best.

I am a retired school bus/tour bus driver and BY LAW, every time we took a group on any kind of a field trip, we had to give a safety briefing. Part of that briefing was what to do in case something happened to the driver when on the road. Y'all should teach your spouses at least that. 1. if you should pass out,etc, they should grab the wheel with one hand and shove you to the left, 2. show them where the E brake is and tell them to apply it. 3. take it out of gear, once stopped and turn off the engine . If your rig is a diesel, then the E brake will slow you rapidly and most likely in straight line. Don't worry about folks around you as your probably not gonna know what's happening anyway. 4. call 911 and tell them what's happening and that you're in the middle of the road.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have never thought of that, but we all drive, and the thought never occurred to me and it is a good idea, just as discussing what to do if a home fire breaks out ...thanks for sharing the idea
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
When I was 19 I hitchhiked from Alberta to southern Ontario. I caught a ride on a big moving van just outside Regina that took me most of the way. This driver was sleepy and needed some help. First he wanted me to drive and I refused, not knowing how to drive an 18 wheeler. I did agree to keep him awake. I yelled quite a few times and almost grabbed the wheel several times. Finally he stopped and slept in the sleeper behind the cab while I caught some z's on the seat.

DW has yelled at me a few times over the years. One thing about a small motorhome - it is usually very easy to stop and nap or walk to refresh. But I got caught really bad last trip on the boring highway between Grande Cache and Grande Prairie in the mid afternoon on a hot day. We had relatives following behind us, there were no interesting or even convenient stops due to heavy rain earlier. DW didn't want to drive because there was a lot of wind gust making steering difficult. She fell asleep. I woke up when the right hand wheels of the MH dropped off the pavement with a bit of a thump to perhaps a foot down the side incline. I was very lucky there wasn't a steep dropoff and I got back on the pavement in ten seconds or so.

I am resolved not to drive sleepy again, no matter how inconvenient or embarrassing. It was really embarrassing to confess to the niece and nephew driving behind what I had done. Curiously, DW was so impressed I got us back on the road that she forgave my lack of judgement.

I think the OP's idea of preparing his family to help is sound. Of course better to have a second driver. Maybe wise to give up RVing without one. I urge him to be aware of how he feels all the time and get off the highway frequently for practise and rest.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie, having been a widow since 1970 and had 3 travel jobs, I say you should go get a travel job. Then let DH do his own cooking. Maybe you should buy him a Dutch Oven, then he can become a specialty cook. Oh and yes, suggest he be the one to make the kitchen and the bedroom pretty. After all, with your travel job, you have 300 miles to drive today,'k!

:W
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Well, let me tell you the little womans side of it. I dont drive the MOHO. I am a good driver. But, everytime I drive and my husband is always complaining. I figure that thing is 40 ft diesel towing a GMC acadia. He makes me so nervous that Just in the car with me driving I want to just park that thing and get out and run away. So, if you are "one of those" , get a life. You are getting exactly what you have earned.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
My parents (both in their 70's) put in 1000's of miles a year with their Airstream. My mom has learned the entire process of hooking up and drives the rig often. She's never backed into a site, however that's not likely to be an emergency situation.

I think it's a good idea, more so if you are inclined to camp in the boonies. We also carry a sarsat PLB so if something catastrophic happens, we have a means to get emergency help.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieharder wrote:
Just get control of the steering, get it on the shoulder and slowed to a stop, even if it's only neutral getting it done.

I agree. Many years ago, an elderly fellow had a heart attack while driving down our street, and as his body reacted/spasmed?, he slammed the gas pedal to the floor. The wild runaway truck crashed across front lawns and parking lots, through 2 barns and finally was forced to stop by a tree. Fortunately, nobody else was hurt; but if there had been passengers with him, they would have been injured had they not been able to intercede somehow. The OP has the right idea.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
My physical capabilities have considerably decreased the past few years due to health issues. However, my wife knows how to operate the slides, hook-up and unhook all outside connections, and even hook up the toad when we take it. She has also been the trip planner and navigator for fifteen years. The only thing she cannot due is drive due to her eyesight. As we become older in our retirement years we have to learn to do things differently.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

wendyly
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think my husband would have agreed to a motorhome, if I wasn't wiling to share driving duties. In fact, I have put more miles on it than he has in the last couple of years.
2014 Forest River Solera 24R

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieharder wrote:
Out of my entire family, I am the only one that drives. DW and, for now, DD do not have driver's licenses, nor do they have any desire to obtain.

DW finds it strange that, every once in a while, I want to go through what they would need to do in the event that, heaven forbid, 'something' happens to me while we're rolling down the highway (take control of the wheel, shifter into neutral, etc.).

Does (or would) anyone else do this if they're in the same scenario? To me, it seems like, if I don't go through this with them, they would have no idea what to do if something unfortunate happens since they have never driven.

I say this with all due respect...but the only responsible and best thing you can do for your wife is to get her to learn to drive. Regardless of where something might happen to you, statistically she will outlive you. Don't let her leave herself stranded after you have passed away.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help the OP with his question of taking control of the vehicle during an emergency but most of you are worried about your partner not being able to drive your vehicle if you had a medical emergency and not being able to get your rig home.

I'm not worried about such things but if you are, the answer is Coach-Net They have a vehicle return program that will drive your rig back to your home where ever that is. No need to have a rookie trying to drive your rig back home under stressful conditions.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We discovered, after buying our Georgetown 325, that my wife couldn't reach the controls to drive it. The seat was too high off the floor for her to reach the pedals (no vertical adjustment), the steering column wasn't telescopic and the seat didn't go far enough forward for her to reach the dash switches.

On one of our last trips before we sold it, I almost fell out of the driver's door at our campsite and damaged my back. We decided that our "get us home" plan was a one-way airline ticket for one of our sons-in-law to come rescue us. We later realised that that wouldn't help if I were incapacitated while actually driving, so we gave up the RV life.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
The sad reality is if the driver passes out or has a seizure, by time the passenger realizes it and reacts it will probably be too late.

A co worker of mine was in a horrific accident years ago, when he was driving a semi loaded with logs. He was just meeting a VW Van that started to swerve and it came right into the side of him. He tried to take evasive action and was already in the ditch when the van hit him.
He said he seen the driver slumped over the wheel and his wife's terrified expression before impact. The man had died of a heart attack and the woman died instantly upon impact. He said it happened so fast but yet seemed an eternity. He has never forgot the horror of it all.

If you have serious medical issues or are not feeling well DON'T DRIVE.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell