cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What if trailer is over 15% TW?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if there would ever be towing problems if a TT is loaded too far forward and over the ideal 10%-15% TW?

I know overloading to the rear of a trailer axels, and having under 10% TW, potentially will cause sway.

Assuming a trailer is UNDER its GVWR, the WDH is UNDER max wt, the TV PL & RGAVR is UNDER max wt, TV is level & front fender at an identical height as if no trailer attached -

Would there ever be towing issues if all specs were within limits but the TW was 20%-30% or even more?

Is 10%-15% just a 'sweet spot'?
15 REPLIES 15

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
A slightly high TW will not cause sway but a severely high TW can. If you're thinking you're running high it would be worth a trip to the scales to find out. Don't want that a-frame separating either.
Happy travels!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
It depends.

I like a heavy tongue weight. When towing my race car trailer I can put the TW anywhere I want. I've gone up to 20% and it tows great. But I also have a heavy diesel up front which can balance things out.

I like to get my TV weight 50/50 on the front to rear. This is the best it can get for handling.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Too much tongue weight will cause stability/sway issues just like low tongue weight will! Ask me how I know.

12% is the best number to be at for tongue weight.

Here is a video that demonstrates how too much TW effects stability. I've seen another video done with a demonstrator like this where they move the same weights to the back, then the middle and finally the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P0ajgaZgDg&t=101s

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too much tongue weight will cause stability/sway issues just like low tongue weight will! Ask me how I know.

12% is the best number to be at for tongue weight.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

blt2ski
From a performance standpoint, if you have a SW trailer, I have had some bounce more from speed bumps or equal when the HW is above 15%, ie closer to 20, which is common in open utility trailers Like I have used over the last 30+ years in my landscape maintenance biz. Mowers etc in front of the trailer, nothing in the rear.

Other than that, if the trailer is level, and a dual axel, not an issue either.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you don't go over the tow vehicle's payload rating/rear axle rating/tire rating, you should be good to go. The weight is wanted up front to prevent trailer sway. More weight up front, less tendency to sway. The 10% to 15% figure is meant to be minimums.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œexceed the hitches ability to distribute weight,โ€

And, Barney, in my case 1000 pounds tongue weight with WDH is the max.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
brianosaur wrote:
Sounds good, thanks for all the replies ๐Ÿ™‚

Wondering then why the 10%-15% ideal 'window' is recommended and not just a minimum?

Or is it so there is a cause to reposition loads evenly over trailer axels if TW is over 15%?

....thus a 'sweet spot'

I think that it is because that percentage usually will result in a good towing trailer that will not overload either the tow vehicles receiver or the A frame of the trailer, along with better handling and braking. However, I kind of doubt you would find a really heavy tongue weight on a travel or normal trailer with all the "givens" that you specified in your opening post. One or more of them would be altered unless you were towing with a class VI truck.

To answer your question, in most cases, 10% is a minimum and 15% is the ideal that you are shooting for. I think if I was carrying a car in a "hauler" depending on where the trailers axles are located, I would try to position the car to achieve that 15%. I certainly would not load it with the car all the way forward as that could overload the trucks receiver, exceed the hitches ability to distribute weight, overload the rear tires of the tow vehicle and the trailer A frame, unload the front axle of the tow vehicle too much, degrade the braking ability of both the trailer and tow vehicle, and degrade the steering of the tow vehicle.

There are probably more reasons but I think you get the point. ๐Ÿ™‚ So yes, I would say that "... there is a cause to reposition loads evenly over trailer axels if TW is over 15%?". I would say "more evenly" however. :W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, thanks for all the replies ๐Ÿ™‚

Wondering then why the 10%-15% ideal 'window' is recommended and not just a minimum?

Or is it so there is a cause to reposition loads evenly over trailer axels if TW is over 15%?

....thus a 'sweet spot'

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rexlion wrote:
The world will end!! Not really. :).

The tongue (A frame) where it meets the trailer body should be looked at occasionally for possible stress cracks. That is about all I can think of.

Good point!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The world will end!! Not really. :).

The tongue (A frame) where it meets the trailer body should be looked at occasionally for possible stress cracks. That is about all I can think of.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will extra tongue weight put too much weight on the TT front axel and tires?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IS trailer towing level?

IS the 'excess' tongue weight more then tow vehicles RAWR/Rear tire load ratings?

IS the 'excess' tongue weight exceeding receiver/hitch rating?

Otherwise.heavy tongue can be OK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mine is over 15%, about 18%. 30K miles no issues.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!