cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is it with DEF?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Just what is the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) ? What does it do and why do I need it? This is my first diesel and I never heard of it.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
32 REPLIES 32

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Added to our profile:

MOTHER SHIP
Winneago View 24H (2007 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
The Chevy dealership told us we only need to replace when the info panel says to. We buy it at SAMs Club and try to keep a spare jug on hand (use a jug, buy a jug sort of thing). Our last two trucks have required it. Once we needed it when we were traveling and bought at a truck stop. It is much less expensive at SAMs. It is for emissions control.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gonzo42 wrote:
Then how would I know whether I am required to use it? I haven't seen anything in the manuals.

It would really help to fill in your visible profile. It would save a lot of guessing.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
5 seconds with Google taught me that the Sprinter went to a DPF - diesel particulate filter - in 2007 but did not go to DEF until 2010. So now you have to worry about what DPF is and what you need to do with it... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find out if your truck needs it when you run out; your truck won't go. My message center gives me plenty of advance warning. 500 miles for first message. I get 5000 - 7000 miles between fills depending on how much towing is involved.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the new trucks have a gauge that tells you how much is in the tank which is a great feature. The DEF is injected into the exhaust stream and reduces particulate pollution by 99%.

There have been problems with the NOx sensors that tell the engine computer how much DEF to inject. If the sensors start to fail the DEF usage will jump and don't expect the engine codes to provide the correct information to the mechanic. Often the codes will state that the DEF is contaminated when it is simply a bad sensor giving bad information.

I fill up the tank before a trip and then get it as needed at truck stops at the pump and I take a very large funnel as the nozzles at the truck stops are meant for big rigs with saddle tanks and not the small filler spout in an engine compartment. GM's setup was definitely designed by monkeys and very stupid ones at that.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It Is not urine the chemical is "UREA"

As stated earlier do not use urine that is aprox 98% water, the chemical formula is(NH2)2CO

navegator

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Then how would I know whether I am required to use it? I haven't seen anything in the manuals.

It would be in your manuals and your truck would have a separate tank for the DEF. Tell us what truck you have and someone on here will know

edit- Just looked at your previous posts. A 2007 sprinter MB diesel probably doesn't use DEF but I am not sure. Somebody else will have to chime in.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Urea the active component of DEF has been in use for couple of hundred years. It is a organic compound in urine....but has been synthesized since 1922. Ain't enough cows to keep up with demand :B

Some of the other uses besides lowering NOx in diesel exhaust:

A stabilizer in nitrocellulose explosives
A component of animal feed, providing a relatively cheap source of nitrogen to promote growth
A non-corroding alternative to rock salt for road de-icing, and the hardening of ski-resort terrain park take-offs and landings
A flavor-enhancing additive for cigarettes
A main ingredient in hair removers such as Nair and Veet
A browning agent in factory-produced pretzels
An ingredient in some skin cream, moisturizers, hair conditioners
A reactant in some ready-to-use cold compresses for first-aid use, due to the endothermic reaction it creates when mixed with water
A cloud seeding agent, along with other salts
A flame-proofing agent, commonly used in dry chemical fire extinguisher charges such as the urea-potassium bicarbonate mixture
An ingredient in many tooth whitening products
An ingredient in dish soap
Along with ammonium phosphate, as a yeast nutrient, for fermentation of sugars into ethanol
A nutrient used by plankton in ocean nourishment experiments for geoengineering purposes
As an additive to extend the working temperature and open time of hide glue
As a solubility-enhancing and moisture-retaining additive to dye baths for textile dyeing or printing

Yep....folks have been eating it, smoking it, bathing with it, drinking it, primping with it, brushing with it, drinking it for decades.

We used to inject it into the burner flame pattern on commercial boilers to lower stack NOx emissions.
It was a new system.........proto type and I had to learn all about the stuff. Learned more than I cared to know.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Get it at the pump for ~$2.79

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/def-at-the-pump

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
video

I like the way this guy from powerstroke help breaks this down.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not it is basically urine (but don't piss in your tank). It treats the diesel exhaust to reduce pollution to meet EPA standards.

Ol__Gold
Explorer
Explorer
The way it came to the market by engine was based by how many engines the engine manufacturer produced. Ford was one of the first as they make few diesel engines by the numbers. (mostly for their pickup line.) Cummins was able to hold off as they made quite a number of engines. Think about the pickups as well as the over the road trucks. They are also big in the industrial line like marine, generators, well pumps etc. So in the big picture it was something that the federal government phased in by mandates. Engine manufacturers had to make a certain percentage of their production line meet the mandate. With that said, it is a far more efficient way of meeting the emission standard than some of the other ways that were previously used. It is by far a less power robbing way of doing the same thing.

Further, there are FleetPride truck part company's across the united states selling that DEF for around $10.00 or less per two gallon container. It does pay to shop the product. Don't spill it as its nasty when it dries.
2001 F350 7.3 4X4 with some aftermarket stuff.
2013 Arctic Fox 990 with some nice updates.
1993 Duckworth jet sled AKA "TheDandyDuck" with some fish killing features.
1997 Seadoo GTX, 1996 Kawasaki 1100ZXI both with some faster goodies added.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
By "big rigs", I'm refering to commerical tractors such as Freight Liner, International, etc.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)