cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is so facinating about closing time?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?
79 REPLIES 79

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We used to keep the store open 'til 10 pm MT until we realized that there would always be someone who forgot a--? or needs a--?, or something. So we officially close the store/office at 8 and expect to hang around for a while. In that time there are pool closings, washroom late cleaning, campsite checks, & late arrivals to do while the looky loos thin out.
At 10 is a final camp check to remind quiet time if necessary.
Our guests have always been understanding and apologetic if they were unaware of the time change from Central or Pacific to Mountain time.
The shortening of store hours from 7-10, to 8-8 several years ago has made no appreciable difference in store sales volume. It has made a difference in guest appreciation, as the camp quiets down sooner, children go home, dogs are walked, and wakes up later.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I call it the 'all about me attitude', some people don't care about anyone but themselves.
If they inconvenience the store owners/workers, they don't care.

I agree, close earlier. It will cause you less stress.

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
I managed a retail auto parts store for several years. The emergency customers, I could understand and would do my best to help them out. The guy coming in 1 minute til closing, wandering around for 15 minutes and then buying a small $1.79 bottle of Armor All, I couldn't stand. Happened all the time. Some folks just didn't think we had anything better to do I guess. LOL

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Last minute customers can carry it to an extreme.

Back in the day I managed an auto parts store. Back then auto parts stores closed at noon of Saturday and did not re-open until Monday. Every week at 11:45 we would get an "emergency" call asking us to wait because they needed that part to fix the car and get to work on Monday. If it was within an hour, mostly we would wait.

One Saturday emergency call asked us to stay. I asked how how long it would take the fellow to get to us. He said that he would be right down, as soon as the football game on TV was over! We didn't wait that day.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
I spent all my working years in retail. Most people will cooperate with you if tell them we are closing can I help you find what you are looking for? I can remember a place where we would hang of as kids. When got close to closing time would turn of some lights and tell us they were closing in 15 minutes. As an adult I always tried to act in adult way. When your livelihood depends on customers you just put up selfish people and remember all the nice ones. Then sell the place and buy an RV.
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago, we owned a Service Station. Seemed we could always count on someone driving up, after we had closed the pumps, turned the lights off, and was closing the door, wanting $1.00 worth of gas. After a few times of opening back up and turning things back on, I learned. I just walked off and left them setting there in the dark. Got to be fun watching them looking around trying to figure out why no one was running out to wait on them. :B

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
I have opposite reaction when I go in a store at 15 minutes to the closing time on the door, yet no one wants to wait on me since they've pretty much already closed the store down.

If you want to leave at 10pm, close the store at 9 or 9:30. Then everyone is pretty much happy. They can get served, if they want to be served up until closing, and you can still get out of the store at 10pm or a few minutes afterwards.

westernrvparkowner wrote:
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?

That how it was when I was a teen working in the chickin inn. We closed at 9:00 and then cleaned up the store.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
It happens at my store as well. I can expect a late night customer with lots of questions right at closing. I also bet these same people that arrive right at closing make sure they are off on time from their job.

I get the "Oops I forgot something" person more than the "I am just going to look and not buy anything and to bad you are off but you still have to answer my questions" person.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
demoon wrote:
Get over it and worry about more important things.
..and don't ever post it on here! ๐Ÿ™‚

bfast54 wrote:
Why not have fun with this....Post "Closing time" as...9:43 P.M.
I like that.

RoyB wrote:
You're just gonna go in the house and watch Johnny Carson anyway...
Watch TV much?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
This will occur regardless of whatever closing time You choose to set!

I was in the retail business for most of my adult life. It makes no difference what you are selling ,there will always be some customers who like to show up at the last minute.

Most never spend any money, but once in a great while You will be blessed by a customer who will literally make your day!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Solve the tipping problem by paying the employees' labor like all other business do and not expect the customer to pay for the food and the labor separate. The advertised price of the meal should include all wages.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town.

If it a ghost town at 9:30, then that is when you should close. After you lock the doors and close the blinds, then start the clean up. Why stay open when you have no customers? Not good business sense!

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
Many good responses here. At my store we had this problem on Saturday's so we changed our closing time from 5pm to 4pm and told the employees to expect to be here until 5 to take care of the late customers. It has worked very well. We are almost always gone by 5 on Saturday and we can count on being busy at 4.

As a customer, I never expect someone to stay open late for me as I respect their time as well. Courtesy on all sides goes a long way here.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
I have often wondered, do these same folks, leave their work a 5 oclock on the button. Or do they stay later to tidy things up. While working off the clock

Bingo! You know their the first ones out.

When these type folks wander in at closing time tell them your closing, ask them what they need and you will grab it and meet them at the counter.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
demoon wrote:
You own a business, they are your customers, they paid to be at your place. Get over it and worry about more important things.

X10

X100-- If you really don't like working with the public and worry about closing right at 10, you might want to re-examine your career choice.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006