cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is so facinating about closing time?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?
79 REPLIES 79

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, curious human behavior. And have you ever noticed how people cannot resist standing in a line? At the grocery store, if six cash registers each have four people waiting in line, that's where people line up. Never mind that there is a register on the end with no one in line. The clerk actually has to walk out into the aisle and say "I can help you right away down here," in order to get people to move. It's the same way at the movie theater, the voting polls, airport security, everywhere. And if you move to the shortest line, be prepared for angry glares and accusations of cutting in line!??!

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
But don't tell me you're open until 10 when de facto you're not.

peaches&cream wrote:
paulsang wrote:
There seems to be a general apathy among some small business owners that are doing high volume, or steady reliable business. "This is my business, I will run it my way. If you don't like it, there's the door. There will be others."

That is a dangerous position to put yourselves in. At some point, that will effect your business. I have seen it time and time again.

The best way to handle a customer/guest at closing is to show genuine caring and concern for their needs, but be polite and firm when letting them know then business is closing for the day.

I used to love it when people would come in to one of my restaurants 5 minutes before kitchen closed, and order extra well-done steaks. The kitchen closed while they were eating, then they complain the extra well-done is too over cooked, and want a new one. It was a game they played for free food. They never won with me, but always came back. for more.

As a business owner, if you don't run it as "it's my business, I'll run it my way, If you don't like it, hit the door", you will be a slave to the customer way of doing things and I think you will fail much quicker than managing the way you want it managed. People will take advantage of anyone that let's them. Business owners and customer's are partner's but the business owner is always "Boss".
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I need something from the store, and 15 minutes before closing, I'll go in and get what I need. If the store hours say the store is open until 10pm, I assume it's open for business until 10pm.

Now, if the owner wants to lock up and go home for the night at 10pm, he should close the store at 9 or 9:30pm, whichever lets him lock up and go home at 10pm.

Don't hang up a sign saying closing hour is 10, yet leave the doors open, while actually sweeping up, tidying up, and cashing out the cash register, long before 10.

Lar114 wrote:
Vulcaneer wrote:
I really do enjoy most of westernrvparkowner posts. This is not one of them. A business owner that doesn't want customers at any time, is maybe in the wrong business. If you don't want to close earlier, then suck it up and serve your customers. You said they checked in to your campground, right? Did they pay in advance for their stay? Does their money go into your company account? If they want a glass of ice water, give it to them with a smile. When they leave, then go home. If you can't do that, you are in the wrong business. Where would you be without customers.

Why don't you tell us the parks you own? So we can be sure NOT to bother you, with our business.

Maybe you're just having a bad day. I hope things get better for you. For your benefit, I hope the mod's blow this thread away. You are better than this.
It's remarks like this that show how ignorant and disrespectful some people can be. If I need to go to the store because I forgot something and I know they are closing in 15 minutes or less, then I guess I'll have to wait till the next day. No need to cop an attitude and throw remarks around like I'll just take my business elsewhere. I treat people like I would like to be treated, with respect, but it sure seems to be on a steady decline.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
JALLEN4 wrote:
It would seem the question of customer service is confusing even to the often most logical posters on the Forum such as JJBIRISH. Whether someone should be in retail is measured solely on the bottom line. There are countless examples of mom and pop businesses whose customers loved them right before they went broke and mega-success stories of businesses who continuously abuse their patrons while producing huge profits. Cable companies being a prime example.

Those customers who show up at closing time and stay well past their expiration date mulling over the purchase of a pack of gum are simply rude people. They are past the point of being embarrassed and simply being told by the proprietor it is time to leave is no reflection on the customer service skills of the business involved.

The origin of the slogan "The customer is always right" is often attributed to Marshall Field, a department store owner of more than a hundred years ago. It was a catchy clichรฉ that served to set him apart when caveat emptor was the rule of retailing. Even Mr. Field appreciated the laughable nature of the proposition but used it brilliantly to produce a healthy bottom line based on premium pricing.

My only point was if my hours are 8AM until 8PMโ€ฆ my door will be open at 8 for full service, you wonโ€™t wait until 8:05 or have to wait for someone to open and ready the registerโ€ฆ. If food service the grill will be hot and the coffee ready to pour at 8โ€ฆ

At closing the door wonโ€™t be locked at 7:59 there will still be hot coffee and someone to cheerfully take your order and you wonโ€™t have to wait long because I didnโ€™t turn anything off yetโ€ฆ

I attempted to say it in smaller form and lees wordsโ€ฆ
I have been to some that clearly post the kitchen closes at 7:30 and the doors at 8:00, and is totally appropriateโ€ฆ but to turn off the lights, run the vacuum, remove the table condiments while a customer is finishing their meal is worse than rudeโ€ฆ

The confusion seems to be in what retail meansโ€ฆ to me it means If youโ€™re in retail, you are in service, if youโ€™re in service, serve, thatโ€™s what you doโ€ฆ
If you feel the need to have a 9 to5 job to be happy and have the life you want, get a 9 to5 job and enjoyโ€ฆ

One poster said,โ€ Some folks just didn't think we had anything better to doโ€โ€ฆ
if you do you donโ€™t belong in retailโ€ฆ retail is in service to othersโ€ฆ

cost and profitability is also the responsibility of the retail owner here is where the small retailer is at a deep disadvantage to the bib box, but if that is more important than service and respect for survival thatโ€™s fine, but he wonโ€™t be counting my money at the end of the day more than onceโ€ฆ

I think cost, profitability, and respectful service are all equal partners to success or failureโ€ฆ.

Maybe you didnโ€™t notice, I havenโ€™t posted in either post about the rudeness and irresponsible acts of the customer, and there are manyโ€ฆ I have posted in many other threads the customer is always right is nothing but a myth, and that is true here toโ€ฆ

being in service does mean the job requires you to take the higher road but doesnโ€™t you should just caveโ€ฆ

there have been several good ways suggested to usher lurkers out at closing time without being rudeโ€ฆ if reputation has many importance I would be inclined to use themโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
Funny how customers can come on this forum and vent and feel they are always right but when a business owner shares his point of view or vents they have a problem with that. It is interesting to me that most peope that sympathy and understand the OP appear to have been in business yet many that have never owned a business are giving advice how to run a business........

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:
There seems to be a general apathy among some small business owners that are doing high volume, or steady reliable business. "This is my business, I will run it my way. If you don't like it, there's the door. There will be others."

That is a dangerous position to put yourselves in. At some point, that will effect your business. I have seen it time and time again.

The best way to handle a customer/guest at closing is to show genuine caring and concern for their needs, but be polite and firm when letting them know then business is closing for the day.

I used to love it when people would come in to one of my restaurants 5 minutes before kitchen closed, and order extra well-done steaks. The kitchen closed while they were eating, then they complain the extra well-done is too over cooked, and want a new one. It was a game they played for free food. They never won with me, but always came back. for more.

As a business owner, if you don't run it as "it's my business, I'll run it my way, If you don't like it, hit the door", you will be a slave to the customer way of doing things and I think you will fail much quicker than managing the way you want it managed. People will take advantage of anyone that let's them. Business owners and customer's are partner's but the business owner is always "Boss".

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Is it not amazing how a post like this brings out the exact people we identify with. Some posted here that the owner should stay as long as the customer wants no matter how long it takes. These same posters are the one's that would complain if their employers ask them to work 15 min. over. People have lost the ability to determine what's right and what's wrong. The owner's time is just as important as the customer's. Why do some poster's try to make it different?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Thanks to the anonymity factor of internet forums like this one, this is pretty much just a place for folks to vent. Western is no exception- no need to "out" him or his Park location(s?),if he doesn't see fit to disclose them.

I'm pretty sure that lots of folks here wouldn't say half of what they say if there was any chance of others putting a real name/location to their posts, or if there was any other consequence attached.
Right on sister.

All this finger-wagging and scolding of the OP is silly. Let him vent!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?

With your general attitude, I'm suprised you don't just lock the door at 10:00 and go home. The people will either be in or out for the night.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem the question of customer service is confusing even to the often most logical posters on the Forum such as JJBIRISH. Whether someone should be in retail is measured solely on the bottom line. There are countless examples of mom and pop businesses whose customers loved them right before they went broke and mega-success stories of businesses who continuously abuse their patrons while producing huge profits. Cable companies being a prime example.

Those customers who show up at closing time and stay well past their expiration date mulling over the purchase of a pack of gum are simply rude people. They are past the point of being embarrassed and simply being told by the proprietor it is time to leave is no reflection on the customer service skills of the business involved.

The origin of the slogan "The customer is always right" is often attributed to Marshall Field, a department store owner of more than a hundred years ago. It was a catchy clichรฉ that served to set him apart when caveat emptor was the rule of retailing. Even Mr. Field appreciated the laughable nature of the proposition but used it brilliantly to produce a healthy bottom line based on premium pricing.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
But back to the point, if you feel you need to do all the things I post about that drive me nuts, I don't want you in the park. If my store and office being open from 7AM to 10PM doesn't work for you, go elsewhere. I won't miss you. If you don't believe that a business can offer good service without blindly allowing the customers to do what the heck ever you want, you won't find my business acceptable.

It is NOT your store hours that bother me. It is the attitude of the owner. Hope your employees don't reflect that attitude to your customers. I am sure I'll find your business in my travels. And I'll know when I am there. But you won't know I am there. And I'll not keep you late. And if I am treated with a bad attitude, you won't see me again. And we'll both be happy. And if your store hours don't suit me, of course I will go elsewhere. Why??? Because you'll be closed...So why would I try to shop there when I need something at 10:00 PM.

My business hours were 8:00 to 5:00. My working hours were 6:30 to 8:30. Oh...and it wasn't my business. And I wasn't paid hourly. And I worked directly with helping the public.

But then I always said I was paid by the company. But I worked for our customers. And you know what? Both seemed to appreciate it. Customer is not always right. But they always have a point any business should consider. And help them if you can.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Put some lights on a timer set for say 10:00, 10:03 - put your hat on, put closed sign on door and 10:05 say "I need to close cash register for the day, can I help you with anything"
Or something like that.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Folks critical of a business owner who is aggravated by last second store traffic that spend little/no money show could be a little more sensitive to others. I was in retail at a young age and had "The customer is always right/comes first" baloney hammered into me daily. I didn't buy it then and don't now; I believe in the golden rule and is why I am a successful business owner now. I'm no lesser or greater than my customers. There are shoppers and there are customers. The latter has a receipt; the former doesn't.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
The attitude displayed by WRVPO is the reason that main street is filled with empty store fronts. Mom and Pop want to work 8 to5. Their customers work between 7 and 5. Big box moves in and is open till 10 or 11 or even 24 hrs. Where are you going to go?
My daughter worked 5 years in a grocery store deli, never failed that a customer would show up at closing, this store also scheduled her to leave at closing. Next day she would inevitably be called into the office to explain why she stayed 15 minutes late to clean up.
Things like this is exactly why I would never own my own business, I am not going to be a slave to my lively hood, which every small business owner is.