cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Questions Do You Ask?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
As I begin looking for workamper positions, I feel it best to have a list of questions to ask the employer. Certain ones come to mind, but I would appreciate input from much more experienced workampers.

I recently sent my resume to a company who was advertising for a workamper. After one email I wrote them with a number of questions and their response was that they would be answered in the interview. I responded back that I prefered the answers in writing and completed prior to the phone interview. I never heard back. It's OK. Without them writing, I got the answers I was looking for.

Thank you so much for your help.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
13 REPLIES 13

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
As I think through the list of questions that I might ask, I see where an avalanche of questions could overload a prospective employer. I have an immediate need to respond to several offers so what I've done is create a "master list" of questions. I will pick and choose 5 for each employer. Several questions I'll turn into one question. I'm more interested in making sure that the employer and I are on the same page with the big items. The little items will take care of themselves. And if they don't, it's only for a short time. I'll change my approach with the next submission.

Today, I'll work on my responses to each and have them out by midafternoon. What a way to begin 2014! Happy New Year.
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
A better thing on the 1099 question would be the (legal) value of the site...
The magic number is $600. If an "employer" pays an "employee" more than $600 in cash or value, a 1099 must be issued, and the irs gets a copy.

One of the questions I personally would ask if if a 1099 would be issued, and if the answer is yes,my answer would be NO.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
THANK YOU so much. I had some basic questions I would pose, but there are some very good ideas here. I'm going to write up my list and I'll post shortly after Christmas. I'll explain how I'm planning to use it and would appreciate input from more experienced Workampers.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

A posted list would be great and help us all.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU so much. I had some basic questions I would pose, but there are some very good ideas here. I'm going to write up my list and I'll post shortly after Christmas. I'll explain how I'm planning to use it and would appreciate input from more experienced Workampers.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
MCIbus wrote, "...I ask for them to put there rules on how they 1099, hour to be worked, and with a list of benefits in writing before we interview. I no longer work for companies that do not do there 1099's legally."

My question is, how would you do a 1099 illegally?

By treating you as an independent contractor when you're, in fact, an employee.

Wouldn't that be a W2 form?

As an employee, you should get a W2 form. But the employer would also have to withhold taxes and contribute on your behalf to social security.

Many employers, especially small business types, prefer to offload that administrative overhead and just call you an independent contractor so you're responsible for your own taxes.

The employer gets the same work done, saves money and paperwork. The employee gets the short end of the stick.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
MCIbus wrote, "...I ask for them to put there rules on how they 1099, hour to be worked, and with a list of benefits in writing before we interview. I no longer work for companies that do not do there 1099's legally."

Wouldn't that be a W2 form?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:

Fulltiming since 2006

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer

Mike LeBlanc
Lufkin, Texas

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the above, a library within 10 miles is an essential for us and WiFi is a nice perk.
‘Love is what’s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.’ - Elain - age 8

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to ask about 'standby' hours. Some places want you to be available 'just in case' something needs to be done but not count that time against your required hours.

Your choice whether you accept those conditions but if my freedom of movement is restricted then I want some type of compensation for it.
Fulltiming since 2006

MCIbus
Explorer
Explorer
I ask for them to put there rules on how they 1099, hour to be worked, and with a list of benefits in writing before we interview. I no longer work for companies that do not do there 1099's legally.

Work camping is normally done with independent contractors. A lot of places push the rules or don't know any better.

I will not work for someone illegally.
2011 MCI D4500

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

These questions may seem quite “picky” to others, but we are volunteering and if the “job” isn’t what we want, then no hard feelings, we will move on and find a different position. A lot depends on what you are willing to do and what conditions you will accept. Hope this helps.

they surely don't sound "picky" to me. all common sense ones.
bumpy

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, a campground that will not put its requirements in writing speaks volumes.

Although we return to the same campground year after year, we always get a new job description which must be signed and returned. The ironic thing is that anything “extra” we did the year before shows up on the job description as a requirement , the next year. LOL

It depends on what is important to you. We volunteer, and here is our basic list of questions, not in any particular order.

1. How many hours per week for the site? (Over 24 is a deal breaker for us.)
2. Full hook up site, including sewer? What other perks are there? (Some campgrounds define FHU as water and electric only.) (No sewer is a deal breaker.)
3. How long is the commitment?
4. What exactly are the duties? (We don’t clean restrooms any more.)
5. Are the hours of work scheduled or flexible? (It is nicer if they are flexible. We like to start work mid-morning.)
6. How close are groceries, drug stores, shopping districts?
7. What days are we off?
8. Are there attractions nearby that we would want to visit?
9. Is our assigned site satellite TV friendly?
10. Dogs allowed? (We have one. A Chihuahua mix)
11. Non -working persons in our house (Site) allowed? (My wife’s disabled sister lives with us.)
12. Can the total hours be split among a couple? (I am disabled and I do what I can, but my wife works the majority of the hours)
13. Can we use our personal golf cart in performance of our duties? (My disabled power chair must also be allowed)

These questions are in our interview process because of confusion at past positions or rules outlined on job postings. Sometimes many of these questions are answered during the interview.

Anytime the interviewer hems or haws, or does not seem to know the answer, a red flag goes up with us, and we will ask a follow up question.

These questions may seem quite “picky” to others, but we are volunteering and if the “job” isn’t what we want, then no hard feelings, we will move on and find a different position. A lot depends on what you are willing to do and what conditions you will accept. Hope this helps.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006