Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheat Free?

ML
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone here traveling "Wheat Free"?

I have read individuals have successfully reduced their blood pressure just by eliminating wheat from their diet. Some have substituted with corn products which is also a GMO (genetically modified product) others have used rice or bean products.

What are some of your wheat free recipes or substitutes?
ML
30 REPLIES 30

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Mike S, The wording of your post suggest that you changed you body chemistry to the point that you eliminated your need for the cholesterol, BP and diabetic meds. I am on none, but I have not been to a doctor in a, well... a while.

If the above is true, I salute you! Figure your cost over your life expectancy, and you have saved for a new bike, amigo!

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

GoldwingCapeCod
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
There are plenty of contradicting studies on the affect of grain products on BP, and other health risks such as heart disease and diabetes. My opinion based on going to cardiac rehab and listening to several diabetes seminars with my wife is to avoid all grains, especially if they are white, eliminate sugar based items which includes corn. Beans for the most part are good. Avoidance may be very difficult for many. All things in moderation.

Yes I am wheat free, sugar free ( as much as possible ) and lowest carbs possible.

That and a consistent exersice routine and I am no longer on cholesterol, BP or diabetic medication.

YMMV

Mike S
Michael
Toes in the water

K1VTR 73
2007 Honda Goldwing
2012 Can Am Spyder (hers)

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good results with low-carb as well. I do eat complex carbs, like beans. I dropped about 25 pounds, but have gained most of it back. But I think it is MUSCLE! I am 54 and actually building body mass. I eat sugar only one day a week (twice last week - I was in a weakened state!) One day for fruit, ice cream, rice, honey, pancakes, french fries, sweetened coffee, buttered bread (gluten-free), all the bad stuff. It leaves me a bit queasy, and not wanting it for another week.

Matt B

Gonzo42 wrote:
Just about a year ago I saw my doctor for my annual exam and he yelled at me. My weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar were all up.

He said I needed to go on a low-carb diet. After research, I started on the Atkins regimen. After 3 months I had lost 30 pounds (down to ~ 170) and everything else is in normal range now.

I cut way back on several of the things I really like, like breads, pasta, potatoes, etc. So I eat those in moderation and I'm keeping my weight down.

I don't have any allergies so gluten-free is not my focus, but I buy low-carb foods. I have to scour the market for those, but they are getting a little more plentiful. I get low-carb tortillas, breads, crackers, etc now. Its important to note that wheat is an ingredient in hundreds if not thousands of foods, and so is corn syrup (a big hidden sugar). CHECK TO INGREDIENT LABELS!
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
Most big grocery stores have gluten-free bread, pasta, etc. For non-celiac, try Ezekiel Bread. It tastes like tree bark at first because it has no sugar or other stuff in it. After a while you will enjoy the texture and flavor. Makes a righteous grilled cheese sandwich.

Olive Garden has a gluten-free menu which includes pasta. Red Robin has gluten-free buns for their burgers. Many but not all of Campbell's Go Soups are gluten-free. They come in a pouch. I have taken these on road trips, placed them on the dashboard for an hour or so to warm up, pulled the strip, and dispensed directly into my hungry mouth.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

ML
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep um coming.
ML

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I have been gluten-free for about 15 years, and the change was dramatic. Within 10 days, life-long sinus problems disappeared (except for pollen season,) digestion improved, complexion improved. Strangely enough, visual color discrimination improved.

There are many non-celiac people with gluten allergies. I have read figures as high as 30 percent show some sensitivity.

When traveling, I typically don't use substitutes, I just don't eat the gluten foods. I will have a hamburger on a salad rather than bun. I will order Mexican food with corn tortillas. I will scrape the toppings of a slice of pizza. For a quick breakfast, I will order McDonald's sausage-egg biscuits without the biscuits - A nice scrambled egg and a sausage patty! Order nearly any salad without croutons and you are good.

Many of the substitutes are high sugar which carries its own hazard.

My good friend Beckey is not gluten-free, but loves cooking for me - like an artist with a new palette! We have found that fried foods with rice flour coating are really better. Meatloaf is less fatty and tastier without bread crumbs. The stereotypical green bean and mushroom casserole is better with home made mushroom soup (thickened with corn starch and not wheat flour.) She is working on a deep-dish pizza recipe.

My opinion of wheat is far from the staff-of-life thing we were taught. I think it is a cheap unhealthy filler, not far from eating grass seed. I think even if you have no gluten sensitivity, wheat products may be squeezing out healthier foods.

Matt B

PS Domino's has gluten-free pizza, though they rarely advertise it.
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Just about a year ago I saw my doctor for my annual exam and he yelled at me. My weight, cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar were all up.

He said I needed to go on a low-carb diet. After research, I started on the Atkins regimen. After 3 months I had lost 30 pounds (down to ~ 170) and everything else is in normal range now.

I cut way back on several of the things I really like, like breads, pasta, potatoes, etc. So I eat those in moderation and I'm keeping my weight down.

I don't have any allergies so gluten-free is not my focus, but I buy low-carb foods. I have to scour the market for those, but they are getting a little more plentiful. I get low-carb tortillas, breads, crackers, etc now. Its important to note that wheat is an ingredient in hundreds if not thousands of foods, and so is corn syrup (a big hidden sugar). CHECK TO INGREDIENT LABELS!
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Many products are non-GF that would surprise you: Ketchup, soy sauce, sweet potato fries, BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, so the labeling is a good thing. I need to take eye glasses to the grocery store now.

Yeah, Ron, but soy sauce and teriyaki sauce are NOT NORMALLY GLUTEN FREE as they are made partly from fermented wheat. While there are gluten free versions of these two, they are not the norm.

While wheat, rye, and barley are ubiquitous in the american diet (all three contain gluten) making it a challenge for folks who have trouble with gluten, there are alternatives. A number of companies make flour from gains other than these, it takes some learning to adapt or find recipes for them. My daughter is off gluten, it causes raging migraines when she eats it. We've substituted combinations of rice flour, quinoa flour, and are experimenting with amaranth flour in some things.

Very true, but many are not aware of the source of many of our foods. I have begun to add rye to my diet (Finnish Knackebrod crackers from non-GMO rye) that my system does seem to tolerate well. You're right, it's a learning process.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Many products are non-GF that would surprise you: Ketchup, soy sauce, sweet potato fries, BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, so the labeling is a good thing. I need to take eye glasses to the grocery store now.

Yeah, Ron, but soy sauce and teriyaki sauce are NOT NORMALLY GLUTEN FREE as they are made partly from fermented wheat. While there are gluten free versions of these two, they are not the norm.

While wheat, rye, and barley are ubiquitous in the american diet (all three contain gluten) making it a challenge for folks who have trouble with gluten, there are alternatives. A number of companies make flour from gains other than these, it takes some learning to adapt or find recipes for them. My daughter is off gluten, it causes raging migraines when she eats it. We've substituted combinations of rice flour, quinoa flour, and are experimenting with amaranth flour in some things.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I eat gluten-free as I am allergic to wheat (non-Celiac). Changing my diet has transformed how my body processes food. A good book about the issue is "Wheat Belly" which suggests that ancient wheat had 14 genes, and new wheat has 4,200 genes. . . what can go wrong? The book is a bit anecdotal and alarmist, but has good information.

We have not had a problem finding something to eat in restaurants or at the grocery store, although I have threatened to tackle someone walking down an aisle with a French Baguette. I have actually found a GF baguette that is great.

I use almond flour for all-purpose flour, crushed Rice Chex for panko or bread crumbs. Omission is a good GF beer, and all Vodka is fine for me (although there is controversy).

As BigDogger mentioned above, many people try to substitute GF items for non-GF items that are high calorie. We have found that we eat less pasta and bread. Many products are non-GF that would surprise you: Ketchup, soy sauce, sweet potato fries, BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, so the labeling is a good thing. I need to take eye glasses to the grocery store now.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

ML
Explorer
Explorer
If we don't make money we don't survive and that is businesses bottom line too. Marketing companies are in business to make money and to do that they have to make money for their clients.

There are a few people that are Gluten intolerant or allergic (http://www.celiaccentral.org/celiac-disease/facts-and-figures/according to the celiac foundation about 1% of the population) and celebrities (which many people don't realize have writers preparing their talking points) are touting the benefits of going gluten free. Among all the hubbub there is some basis in fact.

"Study suggests nutrient decline in garden crops over the last 50 years"
โ€œIt is much more reliable to look at average changes in the group rather than in individual foods, due to uncertainties in the 1950 and 1999 values,โ€ Davis said. โ€œConsidered as a group, we found that six out of 13 nutrients showed apparently reliable declines between 1950 and 1999.โ€
CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE ARTICLE

Gluten intolerance has gone up with the change in the molecular structure of the wheat.

Depending which end of the age spectrum you are on it may make no difference.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, reducing wheat products in our diet could provide some individuals improved health. So thought I would see what others experiences with going wheat free vs gluten free are?

Bottom line it is a pure simple mathematical equation:

If calories consumed are greater than those expended the result is weight gain.
ML

bigdogger
Explorer
Explorer
Gluten free is basically a scam if you do not have an allergy to gluten. Do a little research and you will find that many gluten free products substitute higher calorie ingredients for wheat, hence becoming gluten free and yet higher in calories. Other products trumpet "gluten free" when they never would have had gluten in the first place. Jelly beans, ice cream and chocolate bars are all gluten free, yet don't constitute a healthy diet. For the majority of people, you can get all the benefits of a gluten free diet by simply cutting way down on the amount of bread you eat. Bread is a major source of empty calories in the average American's diet. It is also very tasty, so I personally prefer the have my occasional burger and pizza and exercise it off.

ML
Explorer
Explorer
I love pasta so that is a challenge. Just found this link to 11 Gluten-Free Asian Noodles. Has any one prepared these in their RV?

http://www.thekitchn.com/glutenfree-asian-noodles-121367

Also love fried food, I know the worst. But just fried fish with oat flour I made in my food processor from oats and it turned out pretty good.
ML

Emptypockets
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,the wife is on the Gluten Free diet as are two of our adult daughters. The available amount of Gluten Free products are getting bigger all of the time.
The Palmers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that lots of stuff is being advertised as gluten free.
bumpy