cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When a sale is not a sale

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
So I'm selling my coach. I posted asking about using NADA as a pricing guide. Immediately had someone start in asking for info, pix, etc. I said I haven't even listed it yet. Have to get it emptied and washed inside/out. He continued to send me texts almost daily. Finally after 3 weeks, I was able to send him some pix. So he and his wife wanted to come see it. . . 2 hours away. He actually lives on the other side of the state close to my son. So he asked if (over Thanksgiving) I could bring it over there so they could see it. I said no. He could come to the coach. So they did that Saturday. They liked what they saw and asked if they could have it inspected. I said yes. That dude came the next day, Sunday, and was there crawling all over it for 5 hours. He found very little except the roof needs resealing. Oil sample revealed no problems with the engine.

So yesterday he calls and we banter back/forth on the price and arrive at a mutually agreed price. He is dealing with a credit union who doesn't wire money, but they handle this like a home closing and would give me a bank check from the credit union. So then he asked if I would drive the coach across the state to where the closing is so he wouldn't have to come get it. I said no. I mean, where would I park it while we do the closing? I told him I had a lot of stuff he needed to get like the spare tire, etc. (I was throwing in a LOT of freebies). He said I could just hook my car up and tow it over with everything in it. I'm selling the coach because my DH just died and I don't hook up the car. His wife works and she can't get off during the week for the meeting and the credit union doesn't want to do it on Saturday. (Not my problem.) So now he says there is no time to "meet up" AND I am unwilling to help them out and bring the coach to him.

I don't think any car dealer or RV dealer would bring a vehicle to a residence for someone to look at and then take it back. Nor would they deliver a vehicle elsewhere to a closing, especially a 40' diesel pusher. Where would you park it? And unhook the toad? And leave it while you signed papers?

When I buy something, I get things lined up so I can take possession. I don't consider that someone else's job. Now he says, "I haven't even driven it." Well that's his fault. He did not want to when he was here. Said he has never drive a big motorhome before.

So I guess we're done. . . he says it's getting too complicated. I told him I was available any time weekday or Saturday, most any time. But I won't deliver it to the big city for him. He can come get it. Incidentally, the first time I drove it was when I drove it home from the dealership. . . no test drive. He also claims he MUST get the new tags and registration right after the transaction. I told him here in Florida he had several days (30) to do that. But he wants to go from the credit union to get it licensed. Again, not my problem.

I haven't held my breath through any of this. I still haven't advertised it, but I'm thinking I will start today. It would be nice to have it gone now, but I'm not desperate. He has been looking for a long time and the inspector told me this is the 5th one he's been hired to look at for him. So he thought he was pretty serious when he paid extra for the oil analysis, since he hadn't on any of the others.

Well, just venting. I'm sure I'll find the right buyer.

Dale

I had to repost this because it was deleted when I placed a for sale note on my coach in my signature. Please note the one left there is NOT for sale. I'm keeping MinnieMee.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
48 REPLIES 48

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
...and I know she has gone to a good home.

I had that feeling when we sold out first TT. Funny how inanimate things can affect us.
Congrats on the smooth sale!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
And THAT is how an RV sale should go!! It's stunning how many memories are jogged when selling one (In my case, it was memories of my late "soulmate dog" who had traveled every mile of our Class C's life, as I cleaned it in preparation for selling it) and shedding tears over their sale is understandable. But your RV went to a good home, and now you can look forward to new adventures! Happy camping!
Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Great outcome to your saga of rv selling. Wishing you all the best.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Update:

I did send the couple their money back. Not because I had to, but I did not want to hear from him again. I didn't need the money and decided to be done, done, done with him.

Yesterday a new owner took possession of Phaeton Place. This man had contacted me as soon as my ad went live. He called for several days in a row, then said he wanted to come look at her. . . from Alabama! When he arrived yesterday, he had already pre-signed wiring instructions from his bank and they had my information. He did a thorough walk through, then called his bank and initiated the transfer. It is all complete and posted. I spent six hours with him going over things and answering questions. I told him I had not taught that long and hard since I quit teaching! LOL But it was enjoyable. He has an RV he is selling, not a DP, but he is familiar with all the systems, etc. He has a friend who is a CAT mechanic who will be taking over the regular maintenance on the coach. He is a very nice man, by himself, but with a mildly handicapped family member he watches.

He actually offered me more than the first guy so I threw in all the freebies I had. Macerator, 30' 50A extension cord, macerator hose, water filters, water softener, spare tire, Patriot Brake, etc. He had brought his tow bar because he wasn't sure his toad would match my tow bar. Good thing because it didn't. So I loaned him tools to remove my tow bar, which he is keeping, and then once at his camp 4 miles away, he is swapping out the tow bar. He has a friend coming from a nearby town today to help him go through things. He is heading back home tomorrow, so Phaeton PLace will leave me forever. I told my son I cried when I drove her the last time, but that was better than crying cause I couldn't sell her!

It's all good. Thanks for all your advice. I have learned a lot and I know she has gone to a good home. I will still be RVing in MinnieMee when the dust all clears. Eventually I will sell/trade her for a Leisure Travel Van hopefully.

Blessings to all and stay safe out there.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Very sorry for your loss. Tell the buyer not to contact you again. The deal is off - because there was no $ exchanged, never a promise you would bring the rig to him, or deny him the opportunity to see it. He's either lying or just plain wrong about the credit union!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perfect example that when I accept a deposit I write, "Non refundable but will be applied to the final sale price".

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT SEND HIM THE MONEY BACK!!!!!! If it was cash then OK, but if he sent you a check, I can almost guarantee that it is fake, and once you send him his money back, he will go to your bank, and cash it and then the check will end up bouncing!!
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
MikeDupont wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I'll come on the other side of most of the opinions here.

First, it is a regular occurrence (especially in todays COVID world) for a car dealer to bring a vehicle to a prospective buyers house for them to inspect and test drive it.....

Wow. I've never heard of that. Color me surprised.

True - although the dealer makes a deal first, subject to a buyer approving after test drive complete. You can still back out, but they generally want the deal ready-to-go, and the trade goes back with the driver if the deal completes.

It's not a 'shopping tool' in that sense. Not sure if every dealer is the same, or how far the 'delivery - test drive' will travel.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

First, it is a regular occurrence (especially in todays COVID world) for a car dealer to bring a vehicle to a prospective buyers house for them to inspect and test drive it.....

Wow. I've never heard of that. Color me surprised.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

First, it is a regular occurrence (especially in todays COVID world) for a car dealer to bring a vehicle to a prospective buyers house for them to inspect and test drive it. I know for a fact that they will deliver upon a sale as well.

Is an RV different? Earlier this year I looked at a used 5er. Brought my wife up later to look, and she didn't like it because they hadn't done a good job of cleaning it. After it sat on the lot for a month, the dealer said he had it cleaned, and offered to pull it down to my house for my wife to inspect it again (60 miles).

I also know that meeting at the buyers bank (or Credit Union) isn't uncommon at all. Honestly, it is a very safe way to conduct a transaction. Public place, well lit, armed security, cameras, and yes, if you go in and conduct the transaction in front of the teller, get the check directly from them, it is a done deal at that point.

Selling just about anything is hard work. The more $ the item you selling is, the move hassle it can be. Yes, right now it is a sellers market for RVs, but it can still be a difficult item to sell. To me, the buyer you are talking about had to be pretty serious. A 5 hour inspection isn't going to be cheap. Sometimes you have to be willing to accommodate a buyers request to make the sale.

Most people aren't built to be in sales. Consignment is a great option for anyone not willing to put up with the "headaches" that go with the process.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
The fact that the alleged Credit Union rep called you out of the blue just confirms that it is a scam. Probably the rip off's wife.

I agree. You have no way to know that the call was really from the credit union.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
He is dealing with a credit union who doesn't wire money, but they handle this like a home closing and would give me a bank check from the credit union.
Every credit union will make a wire transfer. Buyer wants to present a fake check after he walks out of the credit union.

At this point I would not even take cash unless I saw the credit union teller produce the cash myself.

I agree, this reeks of a con.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'll cross my fingers that the new folks love it when they see it, and take it home!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Dale,

I'm sorry this has been such an utter pain.

Yeah it has been, but look at my update! It's all good now. He's gone and I learned a lot!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5