cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to go to WDH?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Daughter just bought an older 22ft TT that she will tow with 09 Tahoe.dont know wieght but was wondering if a WDH is a needed safety item.Tahoe didnt sag after attaching to bring home.
I have never used one as always had way bigger trucks than needed even before fifthwheel.i see advantage with long heavy trailers ,just need some education.
16 REPLIES 16

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will want to look for the trailering guide for your daughter's SUV as it is different depending upon the vehicle. Different for example for a 1-ton pickup than it is for a 1/2 ton pickup truck from the same manufacturer. The difference is the strength of the frame and the suspension on the vehicles.

Although the Tahoe is considered a "truck" and has a truck frame I would downrate it compared to a pickup truck to be safe and still check for a GM towing guide or the owner's manual for this vehicle.

The WDH improves handling and this would be especially helpful with any SUV.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
handye9 wrote:
APT wrote:
I recommend a WDH with integrated sway control Like Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Strait Line, or Blue ox Swaypro, all in the $450-500 range. I would say the EQ is a little easier than the Reese to adjust correctly. I have no experience with the BlueOx to compare.

I have a Blue Ox Swaypro and an Andersen hitch. Both have integrated sway control.

I find the Andersen much cleaner, quieter, and easier to use. It requires no lubrication of any kind. No grease = less dirt.

The Blue Ox requires lube on the ball and internally in the hitch head itself. The internal greasing is done with a grease gun. Grease guns tend to leak and storing them can be a mess.

The Andersen hitch total weight is 60 lbs, including head, chains, and trailer brackets. I can pick up the hitch head and slide it into the truck receiver, with one hand, and stay clean while doing it.

The Blue Ox total weight is 115 lbs, including head, bars, chains, snap up brackets. Deffinately takes two hands (preferably strong ones) to put this one in the receiver. While doing that, my shirt will clean the old grease off the ball.

I would agree that for a smaller trailer like the 22ft in the OP's post, the Anderson might be a good choice.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
sayoung wrote:
One more questions ,sway control in addition to the WDH?i may be misunderstanding but if you add this then it must be removed to back up,
she doesn't need any additional stuff to take care of at this point

You will have some people say you have to remove a WD or sway to back up, but in 35 years I have never removed mine to back up. The sway either. Never any problems.

X2, but I've only been doing it for 10 years so I'm still kind of a newbie.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have the equal-i-zer there is no need to unhook anything to back up.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
I recommend a WDH with integrated sway control Like Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Strait Line, or Blue ox Swaypro, all in the $450-500 range. I would say the EQ is a little easier than the Reese to adjust correctly. I have no experience with the BlueOx to compare.

I have a Blue Ox Swaypro and an Andersen hitch. Both have integrated sway control.

I find the Andersen much cleaner, quieter, and easier to use. It requires no lubrication of any kind. No grease = less dirt.

The Blue Ox requires lube on the ball and internally in the hitch head itself. The internal greasing is done with a grease gun. Grease guns tend to leak and storing them can be a mess.

The Andersen hitch total weight is 60 lbs, including head, chains, and trailer brackets. I can pick up the hitch head and slide it into the truck receiver, with one hand, and stay clean while doing it.

The Blue Ox total weight is 115 lbs, including head, bars, chains, snap up brackets. Deffinately takes two hands (preferably strong ones) to put this one in the receiver. While doing that, my shirt will clean the old grease off the ball.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
One more questions ,sway control in addition to the WDH?i may be misunderstanding but if you add this then it must be removed to back up,

if you get the old tech chain-style WDH with the friction anti-sway bar, you probably will need to disconnect the anti-sway bar to back up.

with newer tech WDHs with integrated sway control, this is not necessary, such as the Equal-i-zer. i find it very simple to use and love it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:

You will have some people say you have to remove a WD or sway to back up, but in 35 years I have never removed mine to back up. The sway either. Never any problems.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Equalizer, Reese Dual Cam, Blue Ox Pro all have big followings. The purpose of the WD hitch is to restore weight to the front axle when you apply tongue weight, ie, you can unload the front axle with a trailer.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Daughter just bought an older 22ft TT that she will tow with 09 Tahoe.dont know wieght but was wondering if a WDH is a needed safety item.Tahoe didnt sag after attaching to bring home.
I have never used one as always had way bigger trucks than needed even before fifthwheel.i see advantage with long heavy trailers ,just need some education.

Found wieght per title,not wieghed yet. 4700lbs per registration.heavier than I thought.
What's an easy to use model?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The receiver on all 2007+ GM full sized SUVs is rated for 600 pounds in weight carrying. A 22' TT will be close on that number. My opinion is that about 400 pounds a WDH becomes helpful in the amount of weight restored to the front axle o half tons. That's any tandem axle TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:

According to Edmunds, that vehicle can tow 8200 pounds more or less, depending how it is equipped.

Based on 40 years of towing, I would worry more about sway, than the Tahoe handling the weight, although it has a reputation for a "softer" suspension.

If the TT weighs more than 3500 pounds, I would get a WDH with sway control, such as a Reese Dual Cam.

Hope this helps.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the capacity of the receiver, you are beyond its capacity without the WDH.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore