cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to replace the hitch pin?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
The pin for holding the hitch into the receiver is the only real thing holding our trailers to our trucks. Mine is new, but it got me thinking, how often should it be replaced?
36 REPLIES 36

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Yup, youโ€™re correct. Although also correct. I didnโ€™t pickup on your reference to iron, as in cast iron, of which NO hitch pins are made of. And I understand this concept better than most.
Why would you even say that? Be like using a wooden dowel or titanium as odd ball โ€œexamplesโ€.
Although the silly original question may have prompted your almost as silly comparison?

3 pages in, itโ€™s a hitch pin, itโ€™ll be fine. End of story. OP can now sleep well with visions of hitch pins NOT breaking dancing in his head!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
^Nope, but those may be good numbers for aluminum or brass or something. Hence why thereโ€™s no such thing as an aluminum hitch pin. You could rip 15000lbs in half just puttin the wood to it pulling your camper out of the driveway. (Not literally but it likely would not make it to the first campground.)
Any good hitch pin and maybe even the cheap $3 ones is going to have a shear strength FAR greater. Take normal 36ksi yield mild steel (thatโ€™s tensile strength). Ultimate tensile is more like 50ksi. Round numbers and approx.
Hitch pins are or should be 50-60-80ksi steel and shear is about 80% of tensile.

The factor of safety is 5-10 or idk maybe more.

Now bending is a different story. And why those silly reducer inserts for the trucks with 2.5-3โ€ hitches are a horrible solution to being cheap with your hitch stingers.
The insert creates a short bending moment in the hitch pin and can and will easily pretzel a hitch pin. (And Waller out the holes in your hitch receiver, generally prior to bending the pin.)
Iโ€™ve cut off numerous bent pins due to those stupid little accessories.

Show me a strain guage showing 15k lbs on a 10,000 lb bumper pull. A truck with 7000 on the rear axle and sticky tires with a 50% coefficient of friction with only be able to apply 3500lb of shear force to the pin. Lock up all 4 wheels on a 10,000 lb truck and you are around 5000lb applied to the pin. But in normal use even those numbers are unrealistically high.

Also, try reading....I specifically said iron not steel as a worst case scenario and that steel can easily double the strength.

This is a shear failure so work in shear strength not tensile strength.

If you start mismatching parts of course you can have problems.

The point is even with the worst case scenario the pin is still several times stronger than needed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
A cheap one wonโ€™t shear either. Maybe unless your trailer rear ended by a loaded semi truck while you simultaneously an actual brick wall in front of you.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quality US Made pin should never sheer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Nope, but those may be good numbers for aluminum or brass or something. Hence why thereโ€™s no such thing as an aluminum hitch pin. You could rip 15000lbs in half just puttin the wood to it pulling your camper out of the driveway. (Not literally but it likely would not make it to the first campground.)
Any good hitch pin and maybe even the cheap $3 ones is going to have a shear strength FAR greater. Take normal 36ksi yield mild steel (thatโ€™s tensile strength). Ultimate tensile is more like 50ksi. Round numbers and approx.
Hitch pins are or should be 50-60-80ksi steel and shear is about 80% of tensile.

The factor of safety is 5-10 or idk maybe more.

Now bending is a different story. And why those silly reducer inserts for the trucks with 2.5-3โ€ hitches are a horrible solution to being cheap with your hitch stingers.
The insert creates a short bending moment in the hitch pin and can and will easily pretzel a hitch pin. (And Waller out the holes in your hitch receiver, generally prior to bending the pin.)
Iโ€™ve cut off numerous bent pins due to those stupid little accessories.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
mosseater wrote:
Any idea what the shear forces required to chop it in two? There are anomalies in this world but betting the farm very few ever are sheared. The receiver welds would probably fail before that pin would shear. I'd sooner keep the one I have road tested than risk a new one these days.

5/8inch pin has a cross sectional area of around 0.30in^2.

It will depend on the specific steel but say we made one of iron (not steel for a worst case scenario). Iron has a shear strength of around 26,000PSI.

So each end of the pin would have a strength of around 7,800 but since both ends would have to shear to get a failure, 15,600lb.

A descent quality steel (nothing exotic) can be twice that shear strength.

Keep in mind, when you tow, you aren't lifting the weight of the trailer. The force needed to pull the trailer is a small fraction of the trailer weight. Even in a panic stop, the trailer would push the truck into a skid long before the force reached the weight of the trailer.

So long as there is no sign of damage or deformation, it should be fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mosseater wrote:
Any idea what the shear forces required to chop it in two? There are anomalies in this world but betting the farm very few ever are sheared. The receiver welds would probably fail before that pin would shear. I'd sooner keep the one I have road tested than risk a new one these days.

Bout 28000lbs. Times 2 of course since thereโ€™s 2 shear planes.
This is not has not been and wonโ€™t ever be an issue. Nor is wearing one out.

Lawman5383
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in RV transport for a while now and have never seen or heard of a pin failing. This is not to say they couldn't fail. Prior to this I was a police officer for 29 years and never heard of an accident caused by a pin failure.
2007 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS 5th Wheel
2007 Ford F350 SRW 6.0 PSD Crew Cab FX4 Reese 18K Signature Series 5er Slider Hitch
Allen the Dad, Robin the Mom, Maddy 6, Josh 4, and Rusty the meanest 15 lb Cairn Terrier Puppy ever.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:
OP here.

I tend to replace by loosing them. I have yet to have one look rusted or have any marks on it. I also don't like the idea of replacing it only when the safety chains are used.

Something I have never thought of before; If safety chains are used, get a unknown shock load, should they be replaced?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

I tend to replace by loosing them. I have yet to have one look rusted or have any marks on it. I also don't like the idea of replacing it only when the safety chains are used.

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
If I exposed my pin or any part of my vehicle or attachment hardware to a salt environment I would look for rust each time I used it and replace if it looked weakened.

I've got one pin that I have used 23 years with out any wear or tear. Mostly used to pull the boat and light weight trailers (less than 3000lbs) behind my Astro van. I guess if I lived where rust was an issue I might worry about it or the hitch bolts, welds and other attachment hardware. My truck pulls the 5er and not much else. I do have a spare hitch pin for it somewhere but when I was pulling doubles I used the pin from the van in the 5er hitch to pull the boat. It has been dipped into salt water a time or two but then washed off as soon as possible with fresh water along with the rest of any metal I had near the sea.
Turret Class traveler

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
swimmer_spe wrote:
The pin for holding the hitch into the receiver is the only real thing holding our trailers to our trucks. Mine is new, but it got me thinking, how often should it be replaced?

Iโ€™ll wager a large sum that if youโ€™re ever able to put any significant wear and tear on your hitch pin, by the time that happens, 95% of the current rvnet members will be pushing daisies and I will, at a minimum, be long since retired and on here babbling about hitch pins and other non issues, or also in the ground looking up.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
nickthehunter wrote:
When was the last time you have seen someone break a pin?

Break? Never.
Bend? Only when used with a reduced sleeve.
Noticeable loss of cross sectional area due to wear? VERY rarely and likely a pin in daily use for decades.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
opnspaces wrote:
If the pin is smooth and undamaged I would leave it alone. I would replace it if it's showing signs of damage like maybe the receiver tube gouging into the surface of the pin.

A few weeks ago I noticed that a replacement pin for a 2 inch receiver is a whole $3 on Amazon. At that price I ordered a few extras since I have multiple hitches at home. I also keep an extra in the center console of the Suburban as a just in case.
Amazon

$3 Scamazon hitch pins are maybe not the best purchaseโ€ฆIโ€™ll leave it at that.