cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to replace the hitch pin?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
The pin for holding the hitch into the receiver is the only real thing holding our trailers to our trucks. Mine is new, but it got me thinking, how often should it be replaced?
36 REPLIES 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bucky wrote:
Safety chains are the back up for those pesky pins.
I only replace them when I have no idea where I put it. For years now I have put it back in the receiver when finished towing.

Lol, really? Not the replacing part, the safety chain partโ€ฆunless I missed the sarcasm, in which case, a hearty LOL!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on everything opnspaces said.

I not only keep an extra hitch pin, but a few extra clips as I find they walk off on occasion...and it's NEVER my fault. ๐Ÿ˜‰

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
If the pin is smooth and undamaged I would leave it alone. I would replace it if it's showing signs of damage like maybe the receiver tube gouging into the surface of the pin.

A few weeks ago I noticed that a replacement pin for a 2 inch receiver is a whole $3 on Amazon. At that price I ordered a few extras since I have multiple hitches at home. I also keep an extra in the center console of the Suburban as a just in case.
Amazon
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a pin but I once had a ball shear off where the rounded part starts. The lower part was still in place. This happened at 70 mph on I-40 the Friday evening before the 4th of July. Thanks to safety chains and a big enough truck damage was minimal. But what a traffic mess. I guess a pin could fail.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
When was the last time you have seen someone break a pin?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safety chains are the back up for those pesky pins.
I only replace them when I have no idea where I put it. For years now I have put it back in the receiver when finished towing.
Puma 30RKSS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really think that little pin has that much force on it towing a trailer?
I think there is a lot of friction with the TW pushing down causing the 2 square tubes to bind together. And if the ball mount is not removed often, rust will lock them together. I pull my ballmount whenever I unhook. Pin in hand, I'm certain I would notice before it failed under load. Bet most wear on the pin is when trailer is not hooked up.
Now I do keep both the pin, and the safety pin that holds it in place in my "in case" tool box. Don't expect to break, but I have lost a few.