cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where do you put your jack

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I posted the question a couple of days ago about what jack is best in lifting a 5er. Now, a bigger question is, where do you put the jack and the lift point. I've read several debates on this on the internet in general. Some say lift by the frame only, some say you could twist or bend the frame and never do that. You should lift using the spring u-bolts. On my 5er, there's not much room, you would have to lift way in front of the tire or way in back of the flat tire if you used the frame. Lift on the axle? Spring hangers or u bolts? Where would you lift? I think my book states to lift by the frame, but to do that I would have to put the jack way in front or back of the flat tire which means you would have to jack higher to get the tire off the ground which means a greater chance of twisting the frame.
rich
27 REPLIES 27

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I have had to change a couple tires by the side of the road, compliments of Carlisle China ST tires. ๐Ÿ™‚ I put my 10 ton bottle jack under the axle U-bolts, but not on the axle tubing itself.

Trying to jack the frame high enough to allow a person to remove the tire would require extensive frame support and a very high lift jack. And I wouldn't do it anyway for fear of putting excessive stress on a single point of the frame.

And yes, my manual says to never use a jack on the axle. IMO another CYA statement insisted upon by the lawyers.

Do you really think the axles are made out of tubing so thin that jacking on the tube will collapse it??? :h

If they were the first bump in the road would bend the axle and the tire would be at a 20 degree angle.

Yes they are.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
In my front pocket, makes it almost impossible for pickpockets to steal it.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions that came with my 5ver when new say to only jack the rig up using the frame rails. However, I have jacked the wheel off the ground by placing my bottle jack directly under the flat plate that's under the axle right behind the wheel with no issues. You done have to jack it as high that way. Using the frame rails requires and extraordinary amount of lift to get the wheel off the ground high enough to get the new tire and rim on. I also have a 1/2" thick steel plate about 5" in diameter that I place under the axle plate to help distribute the pressure on the axle plate.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:

They are 1/4" thick and on a radius so nearly impossible to bend in a short distance as when locating the jack next to u-bolts. Go to a scrap yard and ask to see a piece of 3" schedule 40 pipe, same as tubes on 3500# and up axles until you get to maybe 8or9K axles then they get thicker wall.

They are not that thick, eTrailer states .16" on their website. Thickness

Dexter will produce axles in two different thicknesses for a 3500 lb. axle.

For the axles were talking about here for camper use are 3" diameter, I do believe, and they are 1/4" wall. The smaller #3500 axles that are thinner wall are 2 3/8" diameter.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Place the jack under the spring perch, the flat portion between the U bolts holding the springs ono the axle. This is the point where all wheel transferred torque and load transfers to springs and axle, the strongest spot on the axle.

I have Torkflex axles so I jack from the mounting plate area under the frame. I've had all four wheels off for months without any damage.

HA! I didn't, but fate did, LOL! Yeah, it fits fine. Plenty of room for a board under it in fact.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends... Normally I put the jack in the large basement compartment just aft of the driver's side rear tire.

But I use the jack for multiple jobs..

Since the hydraulics (Leveling jacks) on the RV have issues, I put it under the frame, any handy support point such as the spot where the springs attach to the frame or the torsion bar (Sway bar) using blocks to lift the jack so I can jack it up and place a jack stand.. 12 ton air/hydraulic jack makes it easy

For tire changes, under the spring shackle. But.. One can not always get a jack in there (with 22.5" tires you generally can) but that is the support point for axle lift.

I also use frame support points when I have to.

On the car, bit more complex, flat nothing fits. So I jack, block, jack, block, and finally get it under the spring shackle.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

They are 1/4" thick and on a radius so nearly impossible to bend in a short distance as when locating the jack next to u-bolts. Go to a scrap yard and ask to see a piece of 3" schedule 40 pipe, same as tubes on 3500# and up axles until you get to maybe 8or9K axles then they get thicker wall.

They are not that thick, eTrailer states .16" on their website. Thickness

Dexter will produce axles in two different thicknesses for a 3500 lb. axle.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Do you really think the axles are made out of tubing so thin that jacking on the tube will collapse it??? :h

If they were the first bump in the road would bend the axle and the tire would be at a 20 degree angle.

Some axle tubes are extremely thin. If you have ever changed an axle, you might have seen that the u-bolts have formed an indent. I use the flattened type of u-bolts to help prevent the indent.

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
My springs are over the axle, I had a adapter made that fits on the top of my bottle jack and it has a pc of radius pipe welded to it so it spreads out some away from jack post and radius helps keep it on the axle tube. I use it near u-bolts on the axle. They say not to lift on the axle but where do people think the weight of the trailer is...on the axle tube. Your not really lifting the weight of trailer completely as you still have other axle/tire on the ground. Most all of the axle tubes used are at least 1/4" wall and that's pretty darn hard to bend with just the weight of a trailer. I keep my jack just inside the door under the kitchen sink...lol
2018 Raptor 428SP

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
If you are not needing to take off all the wheels on one side, don't forget the advantages of leveling blocks/ wood blocks under the tire you do not plan to remove. Greatly minimizes the amount of jacking required.

Exactly!! I always toss a few 2x8s that I gave nailed together and tapered on one end. I either back up or pull forward using the good tire. Its safe and I dont have to worry about bending anything.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

WillyB
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a chunk of 4X4 hardwood a couple of feet long under the frame to spread the jack pressure out when the jack can't get under the u-bolts.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Place the jack under the spring perch, the flat portion between the U bolts holding the springs ono the axle. This is the point where all wheel transferred torque and load transfers to springs and axle, the strongest spot on the axle.

I have Torkflex axles so I jack from the mounting plate area under the frame. I've had all four wheels off for months without any damage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mosseater wrote:
I went to the salvage yard and bought a mechanical "bottle" jack from and F-250 (no hydraulic fluid leaks) then made a lifting shoe that fits right under the u-bolts. It locates safely and stays put under load. Light weight, inexpensive and dependable.

Have you deflated a tire to see if it will fit? You can't control the surface you are placing the jack on. The trailer aid will work in almost any conditions because of the extra surface area.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I have had to change a couple tires by the side of the road, compliments of Carlisle China ST tires. ๐Ÿ™‚ I put my 10 ton bottle jack under the axle U-bolts, but not on the axle tubing itself.

Trying to jack the frame high enough to allow a person to remove the tire would require extensive frame support and a very high lift jack. And I wouldn't do it anyway for fear of putting excessive stress on a single point of the frame.

And yes, my manual says to never use a jack on the axle. IMO another CYA statement insisted upon by the lawyers.

I think the axle tubes are only as thick as they need to be to carry the trailer without being damaged. Now whether that is thick enough to put a jack under and lift is something I don't know, and I don't intend to run the risk of finding out it's not. You do what you want and I'll do as I please, and we'll both be happy.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"