cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy good semi-cheap ratchet socket set in USA?

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a socket set at Sears Canada a couple decades ago. It served me well but now the case plastic hinges have come apart and parts are not secure within the case.

Prices are generally better in the USA but I am not sure what is the best place to get something similar that will have a compact and durable case and not too expensive.

I need:
Metric + Imperial ratchet and socket 3/8" and 3/4" selections
Screwdriver and bits would be a plus
Most of all I want it to come well organized in a case that will last and be easy to transport.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30
35 REPLIES 35

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
My problem now is I'm downsizing to a "B", and I just don't have room for a big tool set. Trying to cherry pick what will fit in a little case is a pain!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cheap: Harbor freight
Good: Sears
But if it's just the hinges you might consider making a new case.

or see if Sears might cover it and give you one

or just get a small tool box for them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
I've given up on Crapsman tools.

I, too, have several sets of sockets where the hinges blew out. Sears would not replace the box.

I took the bottom half and built a wood box around it and am happy with that. Did the same thing for a Gearwrench set that I damaged and also needed more room for add-ons. If you're not into box building, buy the racks and fasten them into a box.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
in our coach i have the too let listed below - its not compressive but its a good start !
you can catch them on sale for $99 bucks (usually around christmas) - Craftsman 250 piece tool set & box

the set has both metric & sae sockets & wrenches in 1/2 3/8 & 1/4 drive, including allen keys, some torx sockets & screw driver bits with a handle along w/ some small "electrical" combination wrenches in both mm & sae. the box has lots of room in the top for additional wrenches (i added gear wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers).

I like the kit because you know where everything belongs & if something is missing.

i also highly recommend that every Camper carry a mulitmeter with them - I picked up this extech clamp meter (it does both ac & dc amps - among all the other normal stuff)

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I had Craftsman sockets and now this smaller Kobalt set I got for half ton on sale a couple years ago. I love the case, size, and quality. Easy to grab and take along on any road or camping trip and stay organized. Only thing I would change is 6-pt for all, but these have not stripped yet. Lifetime warranty/replacement if I ever do break something and lots of Lowes stores throughout the USA at least if I'm traveling. I added a 3", 6", and 9" 3/8" extension that fits between the rows of sockets.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
When in the US, I buy any tools I need at either Lowes or Harbor Freight.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
The Snap-On truck will have it if the others don't.

The OP was looking for "semi-cheap". Buying off the Snap-On truck is NOT! LOL

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I inherited my Dad's Craftsman hand tool sets in 1978. They were even in Craftsman metal tool boxes. The Craftsman electric drill even has a metal housing. They're as good and accurate as the day he bought them. And I don't lend them to anyone. I do go to Harbor Freight for something special that I'll only use once or twice, so I'm rarely disappointed.
Last week, I went to Sears for a hand held jig saw. I needed to cut an inch off of a piece of plywood. The "expert" in the amazingly small tool section of the store didn't know what a jig saw was and when I found it myself and went to pay, he didn't know how to make change for a $50 bill. How the mighty have fallen.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of buying a complete tool set because of needing a tool box/case. Can I have your old tools once you buy this new set?

Pretty please? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
Two cheap alternatives are to use a Tupperware container or Sears sell small canvas tool bags for about $10. That's a lot cheaper than buying a new set up tools just for the case.

When Sears has tool set on sale, I've bought them because that's the cheapest way to buy replacement parts sometimes - then I throw the plastic case away because it takes up too much room.

Bill

X2 - I also use the canvas tool bag from Sears. I just throw it into the truck whenever I take a trip. Last trip it was handy! For a ratchet set I enjoy my Craftsman set but I don't care for their power tools anymore (but that's another thread). As others have stated, get a better organizer for your quality tools.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I hate to say it but, a lot of Craftsman Tool production has now been moved over to China and it's quality has fallen dramatically. If you have a good older set of tools that serves your needs and the only problem is the box you will be better off to just find a new box. You have to pay good money now to find good quality tools.

Spend a lot of money on new tools or, get a new box, and keep the good tools you already have.

I will no longer buy craftsman tool now that there made in China I'm looking at kolbolt tools from lows. And yes I know there made in China too

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have said, Craftsman quality has slipped over the past few years. The good news is that for the average homeowner, they won't wear out or break in a lifetime. I probably have over 1000 pcs. of Craftsman in the shop boxes, also many pieces of Proto, Snap-on, Mac, and various other brands collected over the years. I used my tools to make a living so I take care of them and don't lose hardly a one. For the average guy, it doesn't work that way. They pick up a tool and, after it's use, it's thrown on the deck and possibly recovered later. When you pay $40 for an open-end Snap-on, it's done differently.

For the average RV owner, an inexpensive, molded case of the basics should suffice. For a more advanced user, a steel tool box with socket holders is an improvement. I've looked at the Kobalt line sold at Lowes and they seem to be a tad above HF and even Craftsman. I think they also have a lifetime guarantee against breakage (although who knows how that's enforced). Best sale prices on Craftsman was always around Thanksgiving until Xmas.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Fastfwd75 wrote:
I bought a socket set at Sears Canada a couple decades ago. It served me well but now the case plastic hinges have come apart and parts are not secure within the case.

Prices are generally better in the USA but I am not sure what is the best place to get something similar that will have a compact and durable case and not too expensive.

I need:
Metric + Imperial ratchet and socket 3/8" and 3/4" selections
Screwdriver and bits would be a plus
Most of all I want it to come well organized in a case that will last and be easy to transport.

Why not repair the box? Video

I have seen people find a generic case link cut the fitted inside out of their old one and install it in the new one.

Either way your best best bet is to find a way to repair the case.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I've given up on Craftsman hand tools. It breaks my heart. I have a set from 30 years ago, one from 14 years ago and a third set from 5 years ago (I like to have point-of-use accessibility). A few pieces were my Grandfather's, from probably 45 years ago. Their downhill slide is readily apparent.
Plus one for Lowe's Kobalt. Somewhat reasonably priced and it appears the quality is there, too. That's where I went for my last set, about a year ago. I'm not sure of an equivalent in Canada.
I understand the non-rusting, convenience and see-what's-missing-at-a-glance qualities of a molded case, but I recycle the plastic within a week of buying a new set, opting for smaller, metal, drawer-style tool boxes that separate Metric from SAE. Tool rolls or plastic dividers for wrenches, magnetic socket holders and a zippered bag for screwdrivers keeps the drawers organized and kept in place while in motion. Pliers, Crescent wrenches, Channel-locks and other large or accessory items go in the top tray/bin of the drawer tool box (directly under the hinged lid). Motor-Sports stickers look better on a metal box, too. The downside is the bulk, weight, potential for rust and dents.
Dang insomnia.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack