cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to buy RV cabinets

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a cargo trailer to pill behind my truck camper. I've installed some shelving in the v nose and now I'm looking for some small light weigh cupboards to install along the top of the cargo trailer walls. I've tried to look on line and also tried to find a RV salvage yard but haven't found anything. Does anyone know where I could purchase new or used cupboards?
20 REPLIES 20

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TNGW1500SE wrote:
schl44 wrote:
Does anyone know where I could purchase new or used cupboards?

My wife finds things to buy on Facebook and Craigslist that she didn't even know we needed.
Lol! Mine sells stuff on FB & CL that she didn't even know we had! When she eventually runs out of unneeded stuff she hunts down around the house, I fear one day I'll go into the garage and all my tools will be gone. :E

I have often seen cabinets on CL where someone is doing a reno and wants them gone and you can sometimes get them for a song.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
schl44 wrote:
Does anyone know where I could purchase new or used cupboards?

My wife finds things to buy on Facebook and Craigslist that she didn't even know we needed.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
I would look around locally for a custom cabinet maker. I used one in the past and found him to be comparable to Home Depot and they were custom.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
If you build it yourself -- HD or Lowe's has half inch plywood too, which is easier to use as it needs no addition face frame except for the door face ... unlike, quarter inch, half inch will glue and nail to itself.

If you build the cabinets yourself, and want some 'regular' cabinet doors, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a door mfgr ... they will build to exact size and ship direct to you.

While half inch plywood can be used, it IS heavier in weight than framing with 2x2 and 1/4". The OP already is starting out disadvantaged using a HEAVY cargo trailer compared to a RV trailer of same size..

You can even make bunks from 1/4" plywood with proper 2x2 frame that can easily stand 300 lbs laying on it. Don't try that with 1/2" plywood.

Additionally, using plywood only is a recipe for disaster, plywood tends to warp, a lot, if not properly reinforced and braced... Often sheets of plywood already have large warps right from the lumber yard. Making it difficult to make things that are plumb and square.

Been there, done that.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in upstate South Carolina go to Concepts in wood.. Fair play (South of town the road between Youder's and the fire station) He can make 'em for you.

If you want to try and sign up for Thousand Trails while shopping Concepts in wood (Next door) Tell Janet I sent you :).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you build it yourself -- HD or Lowe's has half inch plywood too, which is easier to use as it needs no addition face frame except for the door face ... unlike, quarter inch, half inch will glue and nail to itself.

If you build the cabinets yourself, and want some 'regular' cabinet doors, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with a door mfgr ... they will build to exact size and ship direct to you.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
If you're not fussy about cabinet dimensions and finish, just go to IKEA, Lowes or other big box store and get standard ones. Some of them can be flippin' heavy tho. as they may be made from MDF. You can sometimes find used cabinets at building recycle places or on CL.

The way RV cabinets are put together is pretty straightforward and something any handyman type can do. You'll need a table saw and maybe a chop saw though. Doors are the same as you'd find in a house but the "wood" face frames are lightweight wood sorta like balsa wood with a very thin faux wood paper-ish wrap. Making a clean cut without messing up the faux wood wrap is a challenge and you can't sand the edges or use wood filler.

I ordered some 1x2 faux wood from our dealer to match our interior cabinetry when I made a new recessed storage cabinet from scratch (see below). The wall was originally blank with a large unused space behind it. I also ordered some standard size doors from the TT manufacturer. Some plywood suppliers have a wide range of thing plywood that could be used. You might be able to get standard luan from an RV dealer.

Upper RV cabinets usually have a hollow bottom which is sometimes used for wiring, receptacles & lights which can be helpful.

There's a few ways to put the face frames together - pocket screws, brads or biscuits. The luan plywood for bottoms, sides and interiors is usually stapled together with tiny staples but you can use an air nailer with short nails. Could use some construction adhesive too. If weight isn't much of a concern, you could use any 1x2 lumber like maple, oak, etc.

The inside of RV cabinets isn't always pretty like residential ones and you'll find 1x1 screwed into wall paneling. If you plan to put heavy stuff inside, you might want to fasten to wall studs and maybe even roof joists (I did that in a previous TT). The cabinet boxes are usually assembled with 1x1 (3/4"x3/4" actual) wood that looks like pine.

One nice thing about building your own is besides a custom size, is custom features you wouldn't normally get in an RV.

X2
With the exception of doors, most cabinet face frames are made of worse than particle board, it is like sawdust board covered with printed paper or vinyl with a wood like pattern. I have a frame I am rebuilding due to a case of Mermutts, using 1x oak, and a pocket screwing jig, it will likely weigh less the the sawdust boards it is replacing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're not fussy about cabinet dimensions and finish, just go to IKEA, Lowes or other big box store and get standard ones. Some of them can be flippin' heavy tho. as they may be made from MDF. You can sometimes find used cabinets at building recycle places or on CL.

The way RV cabinets are put together is pretty straightforward and something any handyman type can do. You'll need a table saw and maybe a chop saw though. Doors are the same as you'd find in a house but the "wood" face frames are lightweight wood sorta like balsa wood with a very thin faux wood paper-ish wrap. Making a clean cut without messing up the faux wood wrap is a challenge and you can't sand the edges or use wood filler.

I ordered some 1x2 faux wood from our dealer to match our interior cabinetry when I made a new recessed storage cabinet from scratch (see below). The wall was originally blank with a large unused space behind it. I also ordered some standard size doors from the TT manufacturer. Some plywood suppliers have a wide range of thing plywood that could be used. You might be able to get standard luan from an RV dealer.

Upper RV cabinets usually have a hollow bottom which is sometimes used for wiring, receptacles & lights which can be helpful.

There's a few ways to put the face frames together - pocket screws, brads or biscuits. The luan plywood for bottoms, sides and interiors is usually stapled together with tiny staples but you can use an air nailer with short nails. Could use some construction adhesive too. If weight isn't much of a concern, you could use any 1x2 lumber like maple, oak, etc.

The inside of RV cabinets isn't always pretty like residential ones and you'll find 1x1 screwed into wall paneling. If you plan to put heavy stuff inside, you might want to fasten to wall studs and maybe even roof joists (I did that in a previous TT). The cabinet boxes are usually assembled with 1x1 (3/4"x3/4" actual) wood that looks like pine.

One nice thing about building your own is besides a custom size, is custom features you wouldn't normally get in an RV.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I might look at Ikea--not so much at their kitchen cabinets, but at some of their other miscellaneous wall-hung storage units. Possibly looking online would be easier than navigating the maze of an Ikea store.

Maybe also look at garage storage stuff/systems in Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I think some of them have metal and/or resin cabinets and boxes that look pretty sturdy and not super heavy.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Do be careful of what you use.

Prefab cabinets from big box stores are nearly always made from particle board.

Aside from the weight issue, these cabinets are totally unsuitable for anything that moves down the road. They will break apart and wind up in pile of firewood on the floor. They are designed for in place use only, not moving.

RV cabinets are made from small dimensional lumber, and paneling or luan glued and stapled to it. They are much stronger and will withstand the bouncing around and flexing as you travel down the road.

They are very easy to fabricate, except the doors take a little more effort. But the cabinet boxes are amazingly simple. A small tablesaw, some KD spruce and off the shelf 1/8" paneling, wood glue and an 18 or 20 ga stapler and you're in business.

Fabricating your own is good advice and also can be very cost effective.

Build a simple wood frame from 2x2s, then glue and nail 1/4" paneling or luan to the frame. Doors can be 1/2" plywood or 1/2" plywood with oak or maple veneer.

You control the quality, you control the fit and finish and you make the cabinets fit to the space you have.

Prefab knock down stuff often is difficult to fit into your space, takes much more effort to assemble and the results is cheap looking junk in a couple of years.. And that is in a home that isn't moving constantly.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
RV Cabinets
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we were in our house we had a kitchen overstock outlet that had complete cabinets, or just the doors, hinges, knobs, house doors etc. If you could find one of those, you could determine size, build your own box out of the lighter materials you want and then just purchase the doors to put on them. The name of it was Discount Home Improvement. A kitchen for a house should have some smaller cabinet sizes and not just all the big ones. Thinking the size that goes above a built-in refrigerator.

Do be careful of what you use.

Prefab cabinets from big box stores are nearly always made from particle board.

Aside from the weight issue, these cabinets are totally unsuitable for anything that moves down the road. They will break apart and wind up in pile of firewood on the floor. They are designed for in place use only, not moving.

RV cabinets are made from small dimensional lumber, and paneling or luan glued and stapled to it. They are much stronger and will withstand the bouncing around and flexing as you travel down the road.

They are very easy to fabricate, except the doors take a little more effort. But the cabinet boxes are amazingly simple. A small tablesaw, some KD spruce and off the shelf 1/8" paneling, wood glue and an 18 or 20 ga stapler and you're in business.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would install steel craftsman cabinets from sears, or cabinets from home depot.