cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which stabilizers do I need?

Posdeer
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 1998 aerolite 830fk, I bought it a few months ago and it is missing the back 2 stabilizers. There is still 2 up front but I'm unable to read any numbers on it. From what I've learned they're a BAL stabilizer. The dry weight on the camper is 5500 lbs. Do I need stabilizers rated for that? And how to I know which length to get?
6 REPLIES 6

Posdeer
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a set from Amazon but couldn't tell what the ends looked like. Hopefully they are the same but if not I'll deal with it for a while until I replace the front 2, then I'll make sure they all match.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to be sure the stabilizers you buy have the same `end' as the originals to avoid having to have two different cranks. Our original ones had ends with a hole which required a crank with a right angle end that would fit into the hole.
The ones we have now have a hex end that uses a crank with a socket.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Posdeer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I stopped by a few rv stores and I couldn't get any answers. I'll pick some up and give them a try.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any RV parts store and just pick a pair up. Any will work for you. Remember, they are made to stabilize, not "lift". And "stabilize" does not mean motionless. The camper will still rock and shake a little, no matter what you do. The stabilizers keep the camper from tipping if too much weight is put on the end. That's the primary purpose.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure you need stabilizers in the front? Consider moving them to the rear and let the tongue jack stabilize the front.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just measure to the ground and get something longer. It really isn't an exact science. Get a set that matches or exceeds your weight requirements. Going higher gets you a better built jack with superior bearings in the end.
Something to take note of is the direction that it turns to raise and lower. Different brands turn in opposite directions.
I learned this one the hard way and it was very annoying!