cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which State Has the Best Drivers?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the Washington, D.C. metro area and I must admit that we have the most inconsiderate and incapable drivers that I am aware of. I have been to every state in the east and I can say, without a doubt, that Pennsylvania has the most considerate and capable drivers of anywhere I have traveled. When I head out of town I just can't wait to cross the Maryland border into Pennsylvania -- the difference in drivers is noticeable, almost immediately.

Is there a state that you have visited where you can, generally, say the drivers are more considerate and better than most?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers
75 REPLIES 75

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that the closer to Christmas we get the worse the drivers tend to be regardless of location. People are always in a hurry it seems.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
A few more bad drivers off the road.

"IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) โ€” Authorities say a chain-reaction crash during a dust storm in southeastern Idaho has sent 10 people to the hospital.

The Idaho State Police say the crashes involving nine vehicles shut down both directions of Interstate 15 south of Idaho Falls Saturday afternoon for about seven hours.

A police statement says "many of the drivers were driving too fast when entering the dust storm with zero visibility, causing a chain reaction crash."

Ten people were taken to hospitals, but there was no immediate word on their conditions."

Dust Storm.
We came up to a wall of water, in 1995, on westbound I40 west of Nashville, near Dixon.
You would not recognize what it was until you got into it.
We could not see the wiper blades. Could see no landmarks, nothing to judge where to steer and there was a semi behind us and a bunch of cars. I applied the brakes not to fast and prayed. Don't know how fast we were gong probably the speed limit since the road was clear to that point.
We made it to an underpass and pulled over hoping no one was going to hit us. There was a minor bend , in the road right where we hit the wall, of water. Water was pouring in passenger side window because it was about a quarter inch open.
A bit down the highway we heard there had been a wreck involving a semi and some cars.
The only way there would have been no incidents is if everyone had been stopped. Even at 45 mph there would have been a problem.
We've encountered only two, thank God, severe dust storms, in Az. You wouldn't knwo it was going to be bad until you were in the middle of it.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
A few more bad drivers off the road.

"IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) โ€” Authorities say a chain-reaction crash during a dust storm in southeastern Idaho has sent 10 people to the hospital.

The Idaho State Police say the crashes involving nine vehicles shut down both directions of Interstate 15 south of Idaho Falls Saturday afternoon for about seven hours.

A police statement says "many of the drivers were driving too fast when entering the dust storm with zero visibility, causing a chain reaction crash."

Ten people were taken to hospitals, but there was no immediate word on their conditions."
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
If there's one place I wouldn't want to visit and drive its Russia

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&showinfo=0

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I would have guessed Montana. Not because they are the safest, just because they have the fewest drivers per square mile. Helena is the only large city.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
DodgeVoltage wrote:
rollingslow wrote:
I belive Texas has the friendliest drivers but the best i think are in Oklahoma

Well, I guess you haven't spent much time or lived in Oklahoma. If it's got an OU sticker on it, you had better watch out. It will either run you off the road cutting you off without a signal, or run into you going too fast. 9 years there was enough...

Is there a good speed to have people run into you?
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
rollingslow wrote:
I belive Texas has the friendliest drivers but the best i think are in Oklahoma

Well, I guess you haven't spent much time or lived in Oklahoma. If it's got an OU sticker on it, you had better watch out. It will either run you off the road cutting you off without a signal, or run into you going too fast. 9 years there was enough...
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Best drivers are in the mountainous areas,those that aren't don't live long..
Worst drivers are in the biggest cities,as everyone seems to be in too much of a rush all the time..
As far as countries go Japan has probably the most polite drivers in the world

http://youtu.be/WfrKFU9z0GQ

Agree with the big cities.
I've found as I get closer to bigger cities on a interstate system or even secondary state hiways drivers become more aggressive such as following to closely/speeding well above the limit/safe passing on a two lane hiway/etc especially young people and especially young females who seem to be clueless about safe driving habits.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that CA has the best drivers ... ever visited CA golf courses and noticed some of the clubs those guys are going off the tee with. :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Best drivers are in the mountainous areas,those that aren't don't live long..
Worst drivers are in the biggest cities,as everyone seems to be in too much of a rush all the time..
As far as countries go Japan has probably the most polite drivers in the world

http://youtu.be/WfrKFU9z0GQ

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:

It just drives me crazy when some people scapegoat guns and properly prepared citizens as a political agenda.

Not saying that was your intention, gotta stay diligent or our kids won't have the freedom to camp, rv, or much of anything else ๐Ÿ˜‰
I see where you are coming from. It never occurred to me to make a comment on right to carry or anything like that. I was just pointing out that the fact that the guy in front of you may be armed should give you pause before blaring your horn at him or her. For the record, I have a concealed weapons permit so I'm not definitely not making any political points with my comment.

I get that. Forums don't always capture the nuances of someone's comments. Sorry if I came across too harsh. We are constantly fighting the battle here in PA, with only a handful of voting districts' voters who "count." Always diligent, always ready ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy RV'ing.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Pepperoni wrote:
Michigan. If you can avoid hitting a deer for 5 years in a row, you are considered an expert.

Years ago I had a external fuel tank installed in my PU. Had to drive 21/2 hours from MI to Indiana in the same day 5 hour round trip. I counted over 50 deer laying along side the freeway ( that is when I started counting, there were more ) It was mid May. I try not to drive in the dark in the rural area we live. So far only hit one.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I'd second Germany. Here in Texas, drivers are OK as a whole, although any moisture on the roads will turn any major artery into a parking lot... and if there is even a threat of black ice... don't even try.

Usually the worst here are out of staters, or people from other countries. Hit rural Texas, and people will still pull over into the breakdown lane to let you by and even wave. However, get near Austin, and you can tell the non-natives quite easily.

What's a break down lane??

Guess this means I'm not from Texas. :B
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd second Germany. Here in Texas, drivers are OK as a whole, although any moisture on the roads will turn any major artery into a parking lot... and if there is even a threat of black ice... don't even try.

Usually the worst here are out of staters, or people from other countries. Hit rural Texas, and people will still pull over into the breakdown lane to let you by and even wave. However, get near Austin, and you can tell the non-natives quite easily.