cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's Looking Out for Our Interests?

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a group of people that have a single interest at heart (RV's and all that goes with that term) It seems to me that we are terribly under-represented in the halls of government and with almost no clout as a group with Manufacturers, Suppliers and Dealers.

While Good Sam Enterprises tries to position itself as our champion especially with their two sister publications Trailer Life and Motorhome. They really are businesses intended to make a profit and not consumer advocacy organizations.

While these two publications try to fill part of the consumer advocacy role with their RV Resolutions columns they still are a creature of their advertisers.

I have now read TL cover to cover for 6 months and some disturbing things are clear:

Their "reviews" or "tests" they do of new trailer models are basically not much more than thinly veiled advertisements with very little in the way of criticism or (God Forbid) Asking some hard questions like:

How is the Roof constructed?

Why are there no SHOCK ABsorbers?

Why are the tire Ratings so LOW?

Etc.

Further they have a huge bias in content and "reviews" that favors the Huge, Expensive, Luxo 5th Wheel trailers. Trailers that the vast majority of us do not own nor can afford. Dreaming is nice and they should spotlight those models on occasion, but their focus needs to be more realistic to their readers needs and interests.

We as a group deserve better from the major publication that purports to represent us as consumers. The great Car magazines Road and Track, Motor Trend et al made a REAL name for themselves by calling a dog a dog. And giving due praise where deserved, while pushing manufacturers to do better.

Unfortunately Trailer Life and Motorhome are creatures of their advertisers to such a great extent that I fear they will never really take on the single major isssue in this area: Quality Construction.

What we need is a publication and an organization that really represents the interests of RV owners. To government, to Manufacturers and Dealers and to Suppliers. Good Sam Enterprises is NOT it.

So Here is a Challenge to you Mr. Marcus Lemonis. (CEO Of Good Sam Ent.) Remember it is the RV'ers of this country that have made you what you are. Show us that you take our concerns to heart, put some teeth in those two old dogs you own, Trailer Life and Motorhome. Start Asking the HARD questions. Start doing "REAL" reviews that highlight the shortcomings, serious and otherwise of ALL the products you write about. Stop doing so much "Press Release Journalism" and start actually investigating.

In other words pay us back for all of the support and money we as a group have paid you over the years... That's not asking too much.

What do the rest of you think? I'd love to hear the comments on this issue.
83 REPLIES 83

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Dog Trainer wrote:
So don't buy the publication. Don't buy the product if the quality does not meet and exceed your expectations. This is how democracy and capitalism works. I do not want any more legislation in my life.

Where did I mention legislation?

Do you belong to AARP? AAA? These are basically Lobbying organizations that produce some very good results for their members in disseminating information and reminding government that they should'nt make rules that are bad for their members...

How is that bad? That is the same model I was talking about.

AARP Sold us all out on Bama Care.

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
So don't buy the publication. Don't buy the product if the quality does not meet and exceed your expectations. This is how democracy and capitalism works. I do not want any more legislation in my life.

Well stated!

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
How about a list of complaints and then a Class Action Law Suit? The ONLY thing that business responds to is loss of money and a consumer law suit would cost plenty.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Newbiecampers wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
As a group of people that have a single interest at heart (RV's and all that goes with that term) It seems to me that we are terribly under-represented in the halls of government and with almost no clout as a group with Manufacturers, Suppliers and Dealers.

No clout? You/we have one of the biggest pieces of "clout" in existence: Your Wallet. Don't like what is going on? Then close it. They will listen to money, or the lack thereof. I wish people would wake up to the power that is their wallet and the ability to not open it up.

Who's Looking Out for Our Interests?

To me, this is one of the largest problems in our society today: the whole "who is going to look out for/protect me" and victim mentality. Perhaps people should take some personnal responsibility and look out for themselves.

The absolute last thing we need is more government involvement or regulation.

we need gov't inspection for the RV industry. Maybe then they will learn to build an RV without driving nails through the wiring.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Thanks to all of those that replied. Whether you agree or disagree with me there is one thing that is undeniable: The RV industry sits atop one of the biggest bumps in it's history in terms of sales with the retirement of the Baby Boomers and this is the right time to insist on better design, higher quality construction, better dealer service and better customer service.

Burying your head in the sand and claiming it's impossible or "walk with your wallet" is just another aspect of the problem. If we all did that nothing would change, quality would plummet and as one poster put it we'd all be playing golf.

I don't know about you but I'd rather see us work with and urge GSE to join us in making these products better. It's only good business. Everyone will win, the RV manufacturers, GSE and US, the consumers.

Whats wrong with that?

I'd love to walk with my wallet right to a new Prevost. Not gonna happen ๐Ÿ˜ž

In my opinion it's going to take a new guy on the block that can make a quality affordable RV worth a dang. It's going to take leading by example, not trying to strong arm a industry that is comfortable the way things are.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all of those that replied. Whether you agree or disagree with me there is one thing that is undeniable: The RV industry sits atop one of the biggest bumps in it's history in terms of sales with the retirement of the Baby Boomers and this is the right time to insist on better design, higher quality construction, better dealer service and better customer service.

Burying your head in the sand and claiming it's impossible or "walk with your wallet" is just another aspect of the problem. If we all did that nothing would change, quality would plummet and as one poster put it we'd all be playing golf.

I don't know about you but I'd rather see us work with and urge GSE to join us in making these products better. It's only good business. Everyone will win, the RV manufacturers, GSE and US, the consumers.

Whats wrong with that?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:

...My post is about people (and GSE) changing the industry for the better....

One problem is that Good Sam Enterprises is a component of the industry. The sell and service RVs and sell and install RV accessories. Where is the motivation to change the industry to benefit the consumer? They operate the Good Sam Club as a marketing tool for RV sales and RV services.

Like asking the fox to take over hen house security.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Homer wrote:
4X4 Dodger, my compliments on a well constructed critique of the RV hobby and its quality control or lack of. Consumer Reports would be my choice to grade the industry, but I don't think it will happen, sorry to say. Right now these forums are about as close as we are going to get to informing the buying public. Even then, blind loyalty and herd mentality will render these impotent. The real answer will lie in foreign involvement with a quality product at a reasonable price. The time is ripe to gut the domestic RV manufacturers ambivalence much like the Japanese and Koreans did our auto industry.

Thanks and very well put. And you are correct about the change in the auto industry being driven by imports.

But by HIGHLIGHTING those imports and talking about how much better they were in many ways, the Automotive Press helped change public perception and change the industry too. Trailer Life and Motorhome could do a much better job of this than they currently do and possibly spur some reform in the industry.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newbiecampers wrote:
Dog Trainer wrote:

^^^^^^^ This, X100

I picked this post to answer because it represents a few others with the same basic message. My comments should be read as being "In general".

Under your logic no one should try to improve anything or change anything for the better...it is basically the "Love it or Leave it Argument from the 60's.

Most associations like AAA, AARP, NRA etc do more to STOP or change bad legislation (as their members percieve it) than they do actually writing new regulations.

My post is about people (and GSE) changing the industry for the better. Not about government regulation. Any reading otherwise is a misinterpretation.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Trainer wrote:

Where did I mention legislation?

Do you belong to AARP? AAA? These are basically Lobbying organizations that produce some very good results for their members in disseminating information and reminding government that they should'nt make rules that are bad for their members...

How is that bad? That is the same model I was talking about.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
kalynzoo wrote:
Magazines are a for profit enterprise. Generally speaking they present the point of view of the editors who report to the board members who report to the stockholders. Thus, media bias, in all media, is to be expected. You seem like a well informed individual and as such you probably realize that the information presented in a magazine is one sided and meant to prime your interest in an idea or product. It is then up to you to research and sort the data to reach a conclusion. As for who speaks for the interest of the RV industry: A truly difficult question and the demographics of the industry are a diverse as the population. Even an issue as simple as parking access will develop into a debate on community regulations vs public access. Perhaps a partial answer is to join as many organizations as available. FMCA, GoodSam, iRV2, your brand name club, NRA, and any sports clubs you find appropriate.
Interesting thread.
Happy Trails.

You are right and well said: However as I pointed out the major Car magazines have been able for years to balance their real life testing and calling a dog a dog and still keep their advertisers. It can be done. And Magazines Like Automobile, Road and Track and Motor Trend are at the TOP of their industry because they do it "mostly" right.

Media is a business for sure and they must strike a balance between the interests of advertisers and readers. My claim is that at TL and Motorhome that balance is nearly non existent

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
johnnyrv wrote:
A national lemon law is needed and franchising laws that require all dealers of a specific brand to service that brand, just as with automobiles. Throwing the responsibility for quality back on the consumer is unfeasible due to the complexity of modern rv's. Also there is no way to tell what is behind the walls. Government has the responsibility to ensure commerce is fair. Magazines do not have the resources to do the job.
Don't think so. The only people who I know have less knowledge about RVs than what most people think the salespeople and service people have is the Government. You may want to research "Lemon Laws" and see what is really covered, even on automobiles. The loopholes in Lemon Laws make service contracts and extended warranties appear to be ironclad by comparison.
In a roundabout way, it would be good for the Government. The extra costs such laws would impose on manufacturers and dealers would end up netting the treasuries of the various states a lot more sales tax money, since rig prices would soar.

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
A national lemon law is needed and franchising laws that require all dealers of a specific brand to service that brand, just as with automobiles. Throwing the responsibility for quality back on the consumer is unfeasible due to the complexity of modern rv's. Also there is no way to tell what is behind the walls. Government has the responsibility to ensure commerce is fair. Magazines do not have the resources to do the job.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I subscribed to TL "ONCE". I agree with its comparison to a brochure. Apparently there's a steady enough flow of new suckers to keep them in print, and thus their advertisers in the green.

I would pay a reasonable premium for a nice, objective RV publication, filled with useable information and genuine product critiques and comparisons.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I do not think they will criticize their advertisers for fear of loss of revenue. As far as I am concerned these magazines are for entertainment purposes and that is about it.

TL = never say anything negative in a review (the RV or product is -or will be at some time- an advertiser in the mag).

At one time (in the 70's) it had a larger staff, some great technical articles and info.
Now - just paid submissions - meeting the "gotta be positive" mantra.

TL is as "entertaining" as a product brochure (floor plans, specs, etc) from/by an RV mfgr.

WHO represents "you" - or "us"........:h

Why, a salesperson and/or a dealer, of course!..:S

They know everything about anything, and converse with the Supreme Being/s at the RV companies they sell - advising same of exactly what you/we want and need.

Now, OP.......return to dreaming and "never-never land"..:W