cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why campgrounds have gates.

Big_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I traveled out to Michigan from NJ. In Ohio we stopped for the night. The next morning I was getting stuff put away for the trip when a Class A pulled up, stopped and just sat there in the street. It just so happened a maintenance man was at my site working on a plumbing issue and he walked over to check on what was going on with the Class A. As it turned out, the girl at the desk allowed these people to check-in and gave them our site. The time was just after 9am. We were almost ready to roll so it wasn't a big deal, but what if we had decided to stay right up to the last minute to check-out.
Then we were in Michigan and getting ready to leave the site. Once again it was just 9am. I car pulls up in front of my driveway and the guy yells out of the window, this is my site, when will you be out I have my RV up the road and I'm waiting. Once again we were almost ready to roll so it was no big deal but when did this stuff start ?

Just Me & the Boss !

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab Single Axle
2015 Rockwood FW 8289ws

BIG SHOE:R
56 REPLIES 56

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
The office clerk should know that if the occupant has not stopped in to check out, that the site is still occupied and to instruct the incoming occupant to wait at the office until the current occupant checks out.

I haven't had to formally "check out" of campground in many years, in both public and private CGs. And the only one we ever had to do this was to drop our site card in a little mail box on the way out. Even that was optional. So how would the office clerk know?

Same. 40-60 campgrounds a year and I can count on 1-hand the number of times I've actually checked out.

You are correct, most CGs don't require that you stop at the office and check out. I do it as a courtesy to the staff, especially if I am leaving early. This way if the next guy shows up before check in time they will know my site is empty.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
rickeoni wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I have pulled up a short distance from someone clearly packing to leave and waited for their site on occasions. My wife may have even sat at their table. I've also helped someone pack so I could get their site.

But I would never park in front of them. Nor "Hassle" them about leaving time at least not till, Well at the two parks I stay at check out is NOON so long about 1pm I might get upset if I was waiting for a site.

You wouldn't park in front of them but then you'd go and help them pack and sit at the table? What's the difference?

This is definitely a "thumbs down" attitude on your part.:h

Oh ya, I would so much like to have some strange(r) couple help me pack up my stuff while his wife sits and watches!

Yep, I agree and consider it a bit creepy. Had a woman do just that to us once as they wanted our spot. I have a routine when packing up and don't need a "helper" getting involved.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I have pulled up a short distance from someone clearly packing to leave and waited for their site on occasions. My wife may have even sat at their table. I've also helped someone pack so I could get their site.

But I would never park in front of them. Nor "Hassle" them about leaving time at least not till, Well at the two parks I stay at check out is NOON so long about 1pm I might get upset if I was waiting for a site.

You wouldn't park in front of them but then you'd go and help them pack and sit at the table? What's the difference?

Oh ya, I would so much like to have some strange(r) couple help me pack up my stuff while his wife sits and watches!
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Probably going to get worse before it gets better with all the new RV'ers vying for limited sites.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Walaby wrote:
You're such a bada$$

Mike

I was thinking he was a different kind of @ss...

Well, now that I think about it.....
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if someone was rude enough to come sit at my table while I was packing up I would have to stop and sit with them until time to check out. Momma taught me never to ignore my guest when visiting!:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
You're such a bada$$

Mike

I was thinking he was a different kind of @ss...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
jake2250 wrote:
Yeah, we have had the same thing happen, then we dragged our feet to leave AT checkout time!
This family with a large TH and a Diesel PU pulled up right to the edge of our site and just sat there,,this was about an hour before check out time!
I was starting to break camp but they kept the diesel running and just sat there!
So,, I figured, maybe I should have a bite to eat before we hit the road!
Well then we all know its a good idea to have everyone go to the bathroom before we leave! Also had to take the dog for a walk and let him relieve himself before the trip!
Well by now they (early birds) were getting restless! So they sped the idle up and turned on some cool music with allot of bass!!
As we were finishing packing up, I popped the hood of my truck and did a fluids check, Early bird driver was having a fit!!
So,, I couldn't just pull out and head down the road without the DW getting out and helping me do a light check!!
As we were almost pulled out this guy pulls up so close that I had to stop and get out so I could see if I was clear and not hit him with the swing of the rear of the trailer!
As we slowly pulled away I could see this guy just gas it and smoke the area up,almost hitting a tree backing in!!
Kinda made me chuckle watching his anger..Then remembering about that bag of sugar that spilled a bit by the camp table and fire pit!! Hope he remembered bug spray!! And ant deterrent!
As we were passing the office, I stopped in and thanked the lady at the counter for letting this guy in so early, She looked surprised, then stepped out and looked towards the parking lot and angrily said to me that she told that guy to wait in the parking lot until Check In time! She also said he was in the wrong spot! Ha! Going to be a rough weekend for him!!! Slow Down and Relax!!

You're such a bada$$

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I would have one of two possible answers to the early arriver:
1. I'll be out in xxx minutes.
2. I'll be out by checkout time.

Then get back to enjoying the site for which I paid good money. It's not a topic for discussion.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a while most of us will run a conflict in schedule.
We've had a couple of occasions of trying to rush us from our site.
We have showed up a bit early and if site was open good to go, once I think we sat near the entrance for a few minutes.
Once was hostile attitude. It was some time before check out and we hadn't begun to stow things yet. Not a state park.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
The office clerk should know that if the occupant has not stopped in to check out, that the site is still occupied and to instruct the incoming occupant to wait at the office until the current occupant checks out.

I haven't had to formally "check out" of campground in many years, in both public and private CGs. And the only one we ever had to do this was to drop our site card in a little mail box on the way out. Even that was optional. So how would the office clerk know?

Same. 40-60 campgrounds a year and I can count on 1-hand the number of times I've actually checked out.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I don't give a shyt. Check out time is 11am that is when I pull out. Is what my response would have been.

Big Shoe wrote:
Recently I traveled out to Michigan from NJ. In Ohio we stopped for the night. The next morning I was getting stuff put away for the trip when a Class A pulled up, stopped and just sat there in the street. It just so happened a maintenance man was at my site working on a plumbing issue and he walked over to check on what was going on with the Class A. As it turned out, the girl at the desk allowed these people to check-in and gave them our site. The time was just after 9am. We were almost ready to roll so it wasn't a big deal, but what if we had decided to stay right up to the last minute to check-out.
Then we were in Michigan and getting ready to leave the site. Once again it was just 9am. I car pulls up in front of my driveway and the guy yells out of the window, this is my site, when will you be out I have my RV up the road and I'm waiting. Once again we were almost ready to roll so it was no big deal but when did this stuff start ?

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)