cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why cant we make up our minds (new camper)!!!!!

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok everyone im going bonkers looking at reviews and trying to decide what camper will be our next, gonna look to the internet for opinions (yeah prob not a good idea) but here goes.
Want to upgrade to a larger unit, currently have a jayco 16xrb.
I want to stay with a hybrid (i think) i like the roo/shamrock 21ss but cant find one locally (within 150 miles) can find a forest river 221st which has the same floorplan in jersey though. My wife wants a regular TT so we found the keystone passport 2400bh and the cruiser rv shadow cruiser 240bhs, now i have a problem with reading reviews, and of course there are only bad reviews ever so now i cant decide what to do. our requirements are for a regular tt are one slide, large rear bunks, under or close to 5klbs under 28', 500ish lb tw. for a hybrid are large slide, 2 bunks. My wife doesnt like the tent ends and im starting to like the outdoor kitchens that the TT have, i keep flip floppping and im going crazy. between the cruiser rv and keystone i like the options that the cruiser rv has but i keep seeing a ton of bad reviews of them in general not on that specific unit, but now the more i look i see alot for keystone also, theres even a fb page for how bad they are. feel free to comment however you like, you wont hurt my feelings lol
26 REPLIES 26

Just18085
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a brand new Dutchman Kodiak hybrid at the show in 2010. We had nothing but moister issues for the first year and a half. It spent a total of 10 months at the dealer in that time frame. We took a huge lose and traded it in for a 2007 Sunline T3075 and never looked at another Hybrid and never will.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you like the floor plan, usability, and towability. make sure it has tank capacities you like, make sure you are comfortable with all its gadgets. We made a mistake a year ago, bought one we had to have then found out usability issues. sucked it up and traded for the other one we liked and love it super duper lots. When you find the one you think you want, take some time and sit on the toilet, act like you're doing dishes, brushing your teeth, taking a shower. Lay in the bed, sit on the couch, look out the windows, storage areas for your grill, chairs and other stuff. Check the ventilation and view you will have and compare it to how you will use it. etc. etc. etc. Take your time is the best advice i can give. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Decisions, decisions. It's all about decisions.
Don't worry, your wife will decide what you like. ๐Ÿ™‚

Repeat after me....."Yes Dear. What ever you want Dear"! :W
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I see you are from PA. If you can wait, consider going to the RV show in Hershey, mid-September. It is billed as the largest RV show in the country, and we went several times before we made our purchase. There should be plenty of sizes and types of units there for you and your wife to check out. Good Luck.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Removed repost, topic popped up again.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
JeepGuy wrote:
i feel we canget the same living(not sleeping) space out of a hybrid and get a shorter unit, i l;ove the open air feeling of tent ends, my wife thinks shes gonna fall out.

In case she doesn't know, since about 2011, hybrid tent ends are permanently attached.
No snaps and bugees anymore.

So no chance of falling out unless you rip out the screws and brackets.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a travel trailer hybrids seem like pop ups on steriods

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Jayco Jay Flight 288BHBE? This is heavier than you asked about, but it fills all your other requirements. The back bunks are full size beds, not standard skinny RV bunks. Friends of ours have this camper and it is pretty nice. The master bedroom suffers from lack of storage space, but otherwise it's nice.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who (literally) went from a hybrid to a new TT last week, I can tell you that I personally would never go back.

We loved the last three years camping in our little hybrid, but this past weekend when it was 55 and raining we didn't miss it a bit. We were warm and cozy without the damp, cold feeling the canvas always seemed to have. Plus we no longer have to un-make the beds before leaving.

I dont know your tow specs, but what about a Keystone Bullet 243BHS? Only about 5K with 600lb hitch.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

kangarookampers
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever make up your mind? I went through the same process for about a year reading threads until they all seemed to be horrible. We decided on the Passport 2400bh and just recently bought it. We took it out for its maiden voyage and was perfect. It towed very well with no sway (equalizer and sway attached) and enjoyed all of it. I wanted the couch and dinette as well but the weight swayed me to the 2400bh. You probably have yours by now and if so, happy camping!
Dacula, GA
2016 Keystone Passport 2400BH TT
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We love GA State Parks!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
forget the canvas. get a TT with all enclosed sides
there are tons available that would fit what you want

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
we really liked the shadow cruiser but were not sure we would like just having a dinette and no sofa, esp if were all stuck inside lol.Thats why were still hung up on the surveyor 221st, it has both.

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ill try to answer everything posted, TV is a '13 grand cherokee , hemi, tow package. plenty of power, lacking in wheelbase. thats why we want to stay around 28'for a regular TT, i feel we canget the same living(not sleeping) space out of a hybrid and get a shorter unit, i l;ove the open air feeling of tent ends, my wife thinks shes gonna fall out . when we bought the jayco i had a wrangler and that was all it could tow so we got the small 16xrb. We want the larger bunks that the units ilisted have, not the smaller ones on some. that surveyor someone listed was on the list also it was just heavier than the rest.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm back to where I started 12 years ago, can't decide whether I want a towable for camping, a small motorhome for traveling alone, or make do for both with a motorhome I already have that is bigger than I need for either purpose but would work for snowbirding other longtime use and can handle a half dozen congenial guests.

Number one problem is figuring out how you are going to use it. If I were Jay Leno I might have a garage full of different kinds of RVs for the different ways I wanted to use them.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B